• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 180 Questions

SB, I don't know what Beegle's used to take the old stuff off the interior but based on these two pictures I think they only did it on the lower portions of the fuselage since I decided to install a headliner. I have heard that alkaline-based strippers are the way to go and acid-based strippers should be avoided.

100_1764.JPG100_1816.JPG

I think the black stuff you all are talking about is the lead vinyl skin-stabilizing dampener panels bonded to the inside surfaces of the bare aluminum that Cessna used from the early 70s to 1986. I don't know which airplanes had them but I have heard that they are huge corrosion problems because they trap moisture due to the glue Cessna used and the lead vs. aluminum creates a dissimilar metal problem. Those two together = corrosion.

One of the main reasons I bought a 180 with the floatplane kit was corrosion protection and I ran Corrosion X through the wings and tail 2 years ago. But I read here that corrosion is often worst in the cabin areas of these airplanes because they don't get treated with Corrosion X or whatever you're using and all the interior products people put in their airplanes trap moisture. I hadn't really thought about it that way until I heard the author speak at Oshkosh this year and it was good information. So, I think corrosion prevention is an added benefit of doing this sort of a minimalist interior. I have been vigilant with corrosion in my plane and have checked about every place I can for it and haven't found much. Had a little spot at the ELT antenna that we cleaned up at annual and had some on the belly downstream of the exhaust that we cleaned up but that's it to my knowledge.

Attachments

• 100_1764.JPG
    100_1764.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_1816.JPG
    100_1816.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 146
Polyfiber 2210 cleaner works very well for removing old adhesives. Not sure how it would work on that black stuff Cessna used but on everything else I've tried it on it did the job including old masking tape, one of the toughest things to remove.

Sent from my iPad mini from the middle of nowhere using Tapatalk

I think the black stuff you all are talking about is the lead vinyl skin-stabilizing dampener panels bonded to the inside surfaces of the bare aluminum that Cessna used from the early 70s to 1986. I don't know which airplanes had them but I have heard that they are huge corrosion problems because they trap moisture due to the glue Cessna used and the lead vs. aluminum creates a dissimilar metal problem. Those two together = corrosion.

that is NOt the stuff I'm talking about, but I believe is what SB is talking about.

The stuff I'm talking about is a "tar-like" substance that appears to have been applied with a mop or maybe it was a bristle brush:) It was applied to the flat portions of the inside of the fuselage skins. Gnarly stuff.

Back