• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Carb Temp variations in Pponk'd C180s

Pete, that is not the same as Cessna stuff. That Lowes stuff is open cell and not high temp. I tried to use it and it kind of melted.

Cessna stuff is a closed cell product with higher temp resistance. fyi
Thanks Dave, Good to know it looks pretty much like the same stuff.

Ok folks, how do you insulate the crossover tube? I'd like to give it a shot!

sj

SJ, what engine do you have in your 180? Where is your carb temp probe, in the side of the airbox or in the carb? What carb temp (full) do you get at cruise power on a standard day? What carb temp do you get at reduced power (about 15 inches MP)? What carb temp do you get at idle? My experience indicates carb heat temperatures will vary considerably depending on power and not necessarily as you would think. What's the condition of your left muffler (baffling) and the shroud? Condition of scat tube from muffler to airbox? Early 180's are kinda funky on the scat tube to the airbox as they will rub up against the firewall and wear holes in the tube. Have you checked to ensure when full carb heat is applied the airbox seal is indeed only letting heated air in? I also thought insulating the cross over tube was for cold weather operations. It's the only time I experienced the problem.

Thanks, Bubb, most of that has been covered in the thread above. I have a PPonk engine (520 case, carburetored). It's always been this way!

sj

Ellison throttle body has been around many years. I have no experience with them but recognized the beauty wayyyyy back.

I want one! well I want two!!

Thanks, Bubb, most of that has been covered in the thread above. I have a PPonk engine (520 case, carburetored). It's always been this way!

sj

I did not see any thing above that indicates your exhaust system. Did you keep the original exhaust (with flange change) or go another route?

Back