• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Becker AR6201 Transceiver Experience

I've used several Becker comm radios, and one Becker Xponder. All worked flawlessly, day in and day out for many hours.

Id id also buy another NAT intercom in a heartbeat...the one in my airplane is going on 1000 trouble free hours...small, great audio, very adjustable for squelch.

no offense to anyone, but unless you're really a super savvy avionics type, I'd be careful installing radios. Not rocket science, but lots of little ways to screw up an installation. Please don't ask how I learned THAT one.

MTV

We ended up using the Sigtronics SCI-4S intercom, didn't want to compromise if the built in intercom wasn't up to snuff. I had an avionics shop wire the radio and transponder with a schematic of my wire lengths etc. They assured me they bench checked everything and it worked. Upon installation I discovered that the plug on the back of the radio was installed backwards and then that the pins were all wired backwards as well and my cable lengths weren't correct. Had to take it all back and have it fixed, then make the changes to the PTT and head set jack wire lengths myself and then make another trip once installed and flying to remedy another issue. Next time I will probably wire it myself however this was a complicated installation with many inputs, out puts etc. Bottom line is it all worked out nicely in the end.

I have a Becker comm and transponder. I like both but both have had some issues. The transponder will show a fault in cold weather and shutdown. The avionics shop sent it to Florida and it came back working much better but not a 100% cure either. It'll still show the fault once in a while in the winter.

The the comm was worked over by the same shop so it would put out full wattage on transmit. As I remember it was factory set at 3 watts.

I have a used Becker 4201 and a generic 24 pin connector. I need to figure out how to wire it into my aircraft intercom system.

Look up the Becker manual on line it gives you the pin out. Careful as to what orientation the schematic is showing. I think I remember Becker being opposite from the other avionics.
FYI the lighting circuit is not part of the main power circuit, you have to wire it separately, power to the 'illumination' circuit or there is no back lighting. If it's wired directly the lighting will not shut off with the power switch so needs to be externally switched. I found this strange but works as advertised.

Last edited:
Anyone have a report on Flightline FL760A built in intercom performance? or, any reports at all???

It's an ok radio. Not as high quality as a Becker. Have had some noise issues with them, but that can be avoided by good radio placement and proper wire routing. Someone else will have to report on the intercom as I think all built in ones suck. One thing about hooking up the wiring on these, is that all special functions, such as memory call up, and back lighting go to ground NOT power.

And, yes, I learned the hard way.

Web

The Becker AR 4201 that I installed in my experimental cub back in 2005 failed today.

I will probably purchase a new AR 6201 as a replacement since I have always been pleased with the 4201, but also because I think it might work with my existing harness.

Even though the 6201 has a VOX intercom I will be keeping my PM501 intercom. Does anyone know if my old harness will work with the new 6201 without any modifications?

The Becker AR 4201 that I installed in my experimental cub back in 2005 failed today.

I will probably purchase a new AR 6201 as a replacement since I have always been pleased with the 4201, but also because I think it might work with my existing harness.

Even though the 6201 has a VOX intercom I will be keeping my PM501 intercom. Does anyone know if my old harness will work with the new 6201 without any modifications?

A new 6201 will plug and play into your existing 4201 harness. Same thing happened to me last year and that is exactly what I did, although I use the intercom that is built into the unit. I would call Becker and confirm, they have customer/technical support in the US based out of FL I think. Also depending on what component failed in your 4201 they may be able to repair or offer an exchange value. I would call them.

I am sure I posted this before - the two Becker-equipped aircraft I am associated with have had multiple failures. Back then, a trip to Florida was a flat $600 plus shipping.

others jumped in and said Beckers never fail. Yeah, right.

We converted to GTR 200 and used their internal intercom - works great in voice actuation, and in open cockpits up to 220 hp. None have failed so far. I installed three of them; the rest were done by a relative novice (he still has my crimper).

A new 6201 will plug and play into your existing 4201 harness. Same thing happened to me last year and that is exactly what I did, although I use the intercom that is built into the unit. I would call Becker and confirm, they have customer/technical support in the US based out of FL I think. Also depending on what component failed in your 4201 they may be able to repair or offer an exchange value. I would call them.

I called Becker USA and they said that the old 4201 harness and my PM501 will work on the 6201 without any changes.

I'll be ordering a new 6201 today.

Thanks.

I installed a AR6201 in my cub and it seems to work good. I had a lot of compliments on the clarity and strength of the transmission. I read many reviews about using the built in intercom and most were not very good. There is allot of adjustments in the set up and once you get them where you want them it works great. You can install a VOX on or off switch. I think this may work good in a glider application so the intercom is always on without the VOX feature. Sounds like you opted for a separate intercom. I like the radio and the intercom in the Becker just fine. I think the problem may be in the set up pages that may be causing some of the difficulties people are having with the built in intercom.

Back