• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anti-collision lights

SuperCruiser32M

A two part question.
On my PA-12 restoration, do I have to install an anti-collision light? I plan to fly at night.

Second question, if you have a cub that has been upgraded with an 0200 and electrical system that you don't plan on flying at night, must you install an anti collision light?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Mt. Pleasant, PA P45

Bill,

First question: It depends. Here's the Advisory Circular which applies: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC20-30B.pdf If I'm reading that correctly, the PA-12 would not require an anti collision light to operate at night, based on the date of certification.

Also, here's the regulation pertaining to USE of lights on aircraft:

[h=2]§91.209 Aircraft lights.[/h]No person may:
(a) During the period from sunset to sunrise (or, in Alaska, during the period a prominent unlighted object cannot be seen from a distance of 3 statute miles or the sun is more than 6 degrees below the horizon)—
(1) Operate an aircraft unless it has lighted position lights;
(2) Park or move an aircraft in, or in dangerous proximity to, a night flight operations area of an airport unless the aircraft—
(i) Is clearly illuminated;
(ii) Has lighted position lights; or
(iii) is in an area that is marked by obstruction lights;
(3) Anchor an aircraft unless the aircraft—
(i) Has lighted anchor lights; or
(ii) Is in an area where anchor lights are not required on vessels; or
(b) Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off.

Again, you'll note there is no specific requirement to use an anti collision light, unless one is installed.

Second question: Not required. In fact, there's no requirement for ANY lighting on a daytime operated aircraft. Note, however, from the regulation above, that SUNSET is the cutoff, even though it's pretty light out for some time after sunset, POSITION lights are required for flight after sunset, in the Lower 48.

That said, I think an anti collision light is pretty important for night operations. And, with the new LED lighting systems, they don't draw any current, wiring is small, etc.

MTV

To answer your question, yes you must install the anti-collision light in order to fly at night. This can be in the form of a single strobe or rotating beacon on the tail or elsewhere. Wing/tail strobe are permitted. Take a look at AC20-30B:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/94d4758b3f48035186256bf40064457d/$FILE/AC20-30B.pdf

During the 1960s every one had to install anti-collision lights in order to continue flight at night. The following is the requirement.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...ext&node=14:2.0.1.3.10&idno=14#se14.2.91_1205

91.205(c)(3)
(c) Visual flight rules (night). For VFR flight at night, the following instruments and equipment are required:

(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (b) of this section.

(2) Approved position lights.

(3) An approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system on all U.S.-registered civil aircraft. Anticollision light systems initially installed after August 11, 1971, on aircraft for which a type certificate was issued or applied for before August 11, 1971, must at least meet the anticollision light standards of part 23, 25, 27, or 29 of this chapter, as applicable, that were in effect on August 10, 1971, except that the color may be either aviation red or aviation white. In the event of failure of any light of the anticollision light system, operations with the aircraft may be continued to a stop where repairs or replacement can be made.

Last edited:
That's the way I remember it. My J-3 has a tiny strobe on top of the rudder, and LED bulbs in the position light sockets.

We did a thread like this a couple years ago.

Back