• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska lodge recommendations

Alaska Lodges

I guess I am way late again, but here goes anyway. I spent 11 or 12 summers as lodge pilot/guide in the Tikchik Lakes area and Iliamna. To be honest, it's been close to ten years ago now, but I suppose things aren't too different.

All the places suggested are nice, but about $1,000 a day a person. Be careful what time you go or you will spend your time fishing for zombie chums or dishrag pinks. Both are good when fresh, but annoying when old. Silver time is great, August sometime, depending on the river. The river lodges can be great, if there isn't a flood.

There have been some good river lodges, but some are tough to access in a low performance seaplane. If you have a cub, it wouldn't be a problem. Mission lodge had a place on the Kanektok and there was one on an easy stretch of the Togiak that Tikchik Lodge used to run as a seperate business.

The Tikchik's are beautiful and the little creeks will produce some Char or Lake Trout on the northern lakes. Typically the Iliamna area has big rainbows but it's often busier there. If you can slip across the Shelikoff Straights on a calm day to Kodiak, but all means do it. There are some nice cabins for rent there, but parking is usually difficult at best.

It's all good, but the farther west the better, I always felt.

alaskadrifter said:
http://www.blueberryislandlodge.com/index.html

Some of my favorite fishing is done there. You can land on the river if you want. My dad did it in his cub when we stopped by last. It is a beautiful place. It is near Igiugig, on Lake Illiamna. Highly recommend.

They are also comparatively inexpensive to the other places in the area, and don't have the "high maintence" tourist the other places around them do. With the exact same fish!

Back