• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska, Here I Come

SnowMan

Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Finally heading home to AK next week and a hopefully many hours of Cub time this summer. It's been a long year over here in Saudi. Today's terrorist attacks were on the compound next to ours which is a bit sobering. :eek: No casualties on our compound but knew one of the injured persons next door. Anyway, this website has been fun to be part of this past year and made Alaska (and Cub flying in general) seem not quite so far away.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

You should stop in Isreal and pick up some of those infamous and mysterious PA-18's we keep hearing about on your way home. You could make a fortune.

JB

Now there's a thought....let's see: I would need (very) long range tanks, small tires, thrust line mod to improve my speed and range....hmmm....would it be a shorter trip going east or west? Probably east with prevailing winds... I think it's between 10-11K miles, so figure 120 hours @ 8 gph = 960 gallons. I would have to divert around the Himalayas...Wait a minute...I only have 6 weeks of vacation!

Seriously, I know what you meant. Maybe next time.

Mark,

You got a better chance of flying one nonstop home than actually finding a steal on one in isreal..........they don't call them jews for nothing. Those long lost isreali cubs are a never ending story.

JB

Welcome home, Mark! Are you back to stay, or is this just a break?

Anne.

Hi Anne,
At this point we don't really. The push was to get families out of the country for obvious security reasons. If I am unable to bring the family back in I will most likely finish the year on some sort of rotation schedule and look for a transfer back to U.S. In any event, Alaska remains my flying hub...as far as the SC is concerned.

Mark

Mark,
After Saudi, coming home now should be perfect. It's as green a spring as I can remember, the temps have stayed a little cooler than normal, the Kings are back in good numbers, and if you hurry, we have 30'+ tides this week. I'd bet you could enjoy some color and cooler weather right now. And good fishing is icing on the cake. Travel safe.
SB

Jerry, I'm in the oilfield "service" branch.

SB,
Yes, I have heard it's been pretty wet. May keep the forest fires to a minimum which is good for visibility. Our normal visibility on a clear day in Alaska never ceases to amaze me. On the commercial flight home there is something about the descent over the Chugach mountains into the Anchorage bowl that makes me feel like a kid again...especially after being gone for a year. I'm pumped!

Mark

Back