• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aileron washout on -12

flybynite

FOUNDER
Eagan, Minnesota
The Northland drawings show a small amount of washout on a SC ailerons. Do PA-12s have the same amount of washout ? My 12s ailerons have been rebuilt and are flat. Is this correct?

Wayne

We got a repair jig for 18 ailerons and its set up with 3/8 washout. Dakota Cubs aileron assembly jig has 3/8 washout. The Piper drawing calls for 3/8 + - 1/8. I think the flaps have 1/4 washout but would have to check on that. Dont know about the 12 but I would be surprised if its 0 washout.

I was wondering how much difference it makes to have the washout in ailerons. My experimental won't have the washout on the ailerons because the d-sections are extruded and cannot be twisted.

Ten people in the hanger talking Cubs. My brain is frazzled. I use Lycoming data to build Cubs and Piper data to build engines. :drinking:

So, I guess that either flat or 3/8" washout would work as long as they're both the same. I did notice that the wing rib just outboard of the aileron is just a bit higher than the inboard end, but there is some slight amount of up and down adjustment possible in the rib. Thanks for the replies !

Wayne

After reviewing the responses, those west of the Mississippi use washed out ailerons. Easterners use flat ones??? :crazyeyes:

Wayne

After looking at the drawings a little closer, they do show 3/8' washout at the tip. I have several Univair ailerons and they are all flat. As flybynite said, I think as long as they're both the same, they'll work.

Always learn something new.....

John

"After reviewing the responses, those west of the Mississippi use washed out ailerons. Easterners use flat ones??? "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, washed out ailerons belong to those cubs along the gulf coast, specifically the cubs in New Orleans.

Back