• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

NE Summer Fun

Great day to fly, flew up to Basin Harbor for lunch and couldn't land seems a poor guy taxied into a tree and blocked the RWY. Still great colors in the Mtn's. IMG_5274.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5274.jpg
    IMG_5274.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 167
LOL, I was flying with a tri-Pacer and made a group decision to search out food. That didn't work out either, the restaurant at Gfl is closed and ended in Saratoga getting food at a airport day thing.

I was invited to NH16, Brookline, NH yesterday as PIC. Glad I had been in before as a passenger. You have to get as low as you dare over a swampy area and climb up the hill into the woods. Huge pines everywhere on both sides and a solid row of 60 footers at the top. Don't bang you tail on them as you turn around. One has a helpful stop sign. Sort of a paved version of home, but it must freak non-glider pilots the first few times with forest products filling the windscreen right to the top and above. Not too tough but you are committed.

I was invited to NH16, Brookline, NH yesterday as PIC. Glad I had been in before as a passenger. You have to get as low as you dare over a swampy area and climb up the hill into the woods. Huge pines everywhere on both sides and a solid row of 60 footers at the top. Don't bang you tail on them as you turn around. One has a helpful stop sign. Sort of a paved version of home, but it must freak non-glider pilots the first few times with forest products filling the windscreen right to the top and above. Not too tough but you are committed.

That's my home strip! I'm the gray house on the south end, west side, but we were out kayaking at Jenness Beach on Sunday.

20181014-130620-29-RyeToJenness.jpg

https://j3.org/2018/10/paddle-rye-harbor-to-jenness-beach/

Those trees at the south end; they're ~95 ft. I've triangulated them. For extra credit, land from the south over those trees and down hill. ;-) I've been told that I'm the only one who has ever landed over the trees at night. Did it with an RV-4.

I have a neighbor who used to keep a Twin Comanche there. I've also seen Lancair's and Glasair's in there. In the past, someone landed a C90 KingAir once or twice.

Attachments

• 20181014-130620-29-RyeToJenness.jpg
    20181014-130620-29-RyeToJenness.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 212
Kestrel- I can't imagine landing over the trees and downhill with anything more than Ted's Champ. I landed downwind as I'm used to it at home. When Ted and I discovered we had former tow pilot Ritts Howard in common, I asked about him. Ted led me around the corner and there was Ritts old 90hp Champ. I have a picture of it in my hangar. I love aviation.

Kestrel- I can't imagine landing over the trees and downhill with anything more than Ted's Champ. I landed downwind as I'm used to it at home. When Ted and I discovered we had former tow pilot Ritts Howard in common, I asked about him. Ted led me around the corner and there was Ritts old 90hp Champ. I have a picture of it in my hangar. I love aviation.

Aviation is a small world. What were you flying? ...and were is your home base?

Cheers!

Ted and I are motorglider builders, I finished first and now I'll torment him until he finishes. I went in first with our dealer in a Pipistrel Alpha, which is basically a slightly clipped version but no spoilers, he's the man. Going in Sunday with spoilers was like cheating. I'm at Middlebury, but have a mudhole out in Shoreham where I kept the 7AC. So you see how a 90 Champ can be aspirational.

Jeff says it's a go for Saturday. Slight breeze but right down the lake and float guys can hide on East side of point. Bring something to tie down with. 1pm? And slumber party with Joe after dark. Bring you PJs, don't wear Spiderman as that's what Joe has and would be weird if there were 2 of them :lol:

Glenn

Wheel guys here, about 600' on both beaches
Yellow dot is Jeff's point

Kermizian (0NY3)
Remsen (NY57)
Jeff's is half between the two

Glenn

Last edited:
Who's going besides Joe, Joe, Jeff and me? Timmy? If spending the night we have a roof and a wood stove, bring a pad and a sleeping bag

Glenn

Last edited:
Took off and started out west and it was gray and rain 21kts of wind. Blew all day here, looks way better out there.

I pulled the plug on float flying this season. I dropped it off at the island Sunday and just need to get back up and put it away. Not a great year, only 63 hrs in my 78 year old magic carpet

The boys were using the dolly and hoist on the Citabria

SJ, I stopped in to see our buddy Nic on the way home. Thought you would enjoy some pictures. Funny thing is that he's a 5th generation world class violin and cello luthiar that has been making a living building unique string intruments like these lately.

Glenn

Back