• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Top Deck X-Brace

CranelakeMN

Crane Lake, Minnesota
Anybody out there know anyone reputable who will weld in the top deck x with the fabric on the aircraft???

Anybody in the lower 48? Seems like most cubs have them nowadays and if you don't have it it dings the airplanes value? Maybe I'm wrong.

CraneLake, the cubscout 'Cub was done a few years ago by Hector Brown and Jeff Harstad at Aircraft Repair in Glenwood Springs, CO. It was covered, but wings were off, and it's an L-21B, so lots of side and top glass to pop out for the welding. Excellent to work with, first class workmanship. Plus they've got Wayne Mackey's fuselage jig, so we corrected some wing-attach fitting/angle of attack issues.

http://www.aircraft-repairllc.com/

Thanks. cubscout

Thinking that you might want to fly in, weld up the brace and then fly home, you might try (Roy Aero (218-387-3024) at Grand Marais, Bob Schefter (218. 739.0818 ) at Fergus Falls, Wipaire or Chuck Rautiola (651.428.1009) at Fleming (South St. Paul). Some of the other locals up there that frequent SC.org may have more names closer.

Wayne

PS. if you mention my name, they will probably charge you double.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys --- between all the posts and PM's -- got if figured out today and lined up! I knew most of the folks suggested and didn't have a clue that some of them have done it several times. Once again thanks!

Is the top deck x-brace equally effective/recommended on a J-3?

George
On a PA-18 the diagonal tube goes directly over the pilot's head. So that in some wing impact hits that tube can buckle, hitting the pilot'in the head. In a J-3 the wings attach forward in the center with the diagonal tubes passing to the rear wing attach locations. Since the pilot sits in the back seat those tubes would buckle ahead of him, if they did.

The single diagonal behind the rear spar to the top longeron usually gets bent is an accident in a J3 but not in a way to compromise the cockpit.

Back