• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Looking to borrow O320 Carb in Maine?

OldCuby

FRIEND
Harpers Ferry, WV
I have a rebuilt carb newly installed before my trip to Maine. On the way up I noticed it could not be leaned in the usual way at cruise altitudes (5500). About 1/4" pull from full rich stop on mix control, the rpm starts to drop. So I kept it at "full rich." On first leg measured 8gph between fuel stops so was not too worried. Running 2400rpm. But next leg 7gph! Now worried. I noticed more rapid oil temp rise on climb and higher Temps than I recall with old carb at say 55 deg air temps. Other than immediate takeoff, I've been now flying at much reduced power to avoid any overheating.

Stopped at Twitchell 3B5 yesterday and we eliminated intake leak problems. Engine has good compression at 2050 hrs smoh. Twichell agrees must be replacement carb since I had no problem like this with old carb.

Marvel-S in North Carolina sells their rebuilt carbs but will not do an overnight exchange. I'd have to send my carb back for warranty work. I wanted to fly around Maine and of course I need to fly home. Twitchell will change carbs if I can find one. I've yet to contact my engine guy back in VA.
Now you all know reason for my request!

Jim Three Oh 4 Six 7 six 487 four cell.

I have a rebuilt carb newly installed before my trip to Maine. On the way up I noticed it could not be leaned in the usual way at cruise altitudes (5500). About 1/4" pull from full rich stop on mix control, the rpm starts to drop. So I kept it at "full rich." On first leg measured 8gph between fuel stops so was not too worried. Running 2400rpm. But next leg 7gph! Now worried. I noticed more rapid oil temp rise on climb and higher Temps than I recall with old carb at say 55 deg air temps. Other than immediate takeoff, I've been now flying at much reduced power to avoid any overheating.

Stopped at Twitchell 3B5 yesterday and we eliminated intake leak problems. Engine has good compression at 2050 hrs smoh. Twichell agrees must be replacement carb since I had no problem like this with old carb.

Marvel-S in North Carolina sells their rebuilt carbs but will not do an overnight exchange. I'd have to send my carb back for warranty work. I wanted to fly around Maine and of course I need to fly home. Twitchell will change carbs if I can find one. I've yet to contact my engine guy back in VA.
Now you all know reason for my request!

Jim Three Oh 4 Six 7 six 487 four cell.

Fly over to Cooper NH07 and steal Toms

Glenn

Good deal, I'm coming up empty handed

cold beer, hangar and a bed if you are moseying around Cuby

jim

Yep Dan is the man. Got to see his great new home and work shop. He drove to Owls Head and finished the job in one hour. Thanks everyone for your help. Jim C, pm or text ur phone

Glad Dan got you fixed up. Sounds like the mixture shaft in the carburetor. A weird deal, I had the same issue a while back.

Back