• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

26" Goodyear Brake Sidewall Rub

Texas 12 driver

College Station, TX and Uvalde, TX
All,

Have any of you experienced the brake assembly rub and score the inside sidewall of the 26" Goodyears, or Bushwheels for that matter? Any solutions as to a fix? My impulse is to try to source brake disks which are deeper dished, allowing more room between tire and brake assembly, but I'm unfamiliar with part numbers and specifications.

Of course I'd recheck the STC document to see if it covers this detail but alas, I am in a different location and so I figured I'd ask you all as well for input.

Thanks so much for the help!

Call alaska airframes 907-331-4480 or Stoddards 907-272-2327 and ask them. They should have spacer rings that mount behind the disk to give you clearance. You may also need longer bolts.
DENNY

Don't try to go cheap and just put a washer behind the brake disc to space them out. they are designed to have the force distributed all the way around, and heavy breaking will cause them to tear off.

The result is not pretty.

Is the brake assembly mounted at 3 or 9 o'clock or above? If it is mounted below these positions it could rub on the tire since the sidewall bulges out when the weight is on it particularly in a hard landing. This can press the rubber against the brake assembly.

The primary and recommended wheel and brake kit to run on any of the larger bush tires is the Cleveland 199-62 or 199-62A. These have good clearance with the disk and caliper and are double puck.

Brian.

Be careful when you start changing the dynamics of the wheel and brake configuration. Assure that the lugs of the caliper are well engaged in the torque plates and the bearings are butted up to the bearing stops when the project is complete. If the caliper leaves the torque plate it makes a partial revolution, jambs against the gear leg, the tire STOPS and you are the proud owner of an expensive rototiller. - Steve

Don't try to go cheap and just put a washer behind the brake disc to space them out. they are designed to have the force distributed all the way around, and heavy breaking will cause them to tear off.

The result is not pretty.

There's a story in that, isn't there? Lol.

Web

Texas,

I see this problem regularly with the larger tires and install a spacer in between the wheel half and the brake disc to add 1/8" distance which usually prevents rubbing. Landes (Airglas Engineering) in Anchorage makes the spacers. There are two different part numbers, one is for the old 6-bolt Cleveland wheel and the standard 3-bolt Cleveland and the other is for the newer 6-bolt Cleveland wheel. Both spacers have six bolt holes but they are not interchangeable.

Any good Cub parts store will have the spacers and advice on installing the correct one. You will also need bolts a size longer than standard.

Vickie

I want to thank all for the responses and information. It appears that the wheels I have are nothing near what I need, so I'll pony up and get a new wheel kit. Hopefully that will solve my problem, and since the 26's haven't treated me well from the start, I may just go back to 8.50's and call it a day.

Once again, thank you to all!

Back