• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Airspeed Gauge reccomendations.

Andy505

FRIEND
Hello, everyone.

My (Canadian) PA-12's headed for its annual inspection, and I might have to replace my 3-1/8" Airspeed Indicator. I notice that Sigma-Tek makes good gauges with sturdy diaphrams, but their gauges won't indicate anything under 40 kts, and my plane's Vso is between 30 and 35.

UMA builds a gauge that'll read down to 20, (I think it's part number 10-02455). I can't find a certified gauge from anyone else that'll do it. Does anybody here have any suggestions? I'm hoping to get something that'll run nice and reliably for a long time.

Andy,

I just had the gauge on for my '12 overhauled and refaced this past week at Rudy Aircraft Instruments in Arkansas, just google them as they have a website. Very nice folks, 2-day turnaround for just an overhaul, takes about a week for them to reface the dial (apparently has to bake for 72 hours). Here's their contact info: 1-(479)-474-8759

Charged $125 for the overhaul and another $60 or so to reface the dial. Money well spent in my case.

Spyder and phdigger: Thanks for the info, It's good to know what my options are if/when the ASI packs it in.

If you get one of these helo clocks you'll know what the air is doing under part of your left wing, but it won't do you much good. The low end is all over the place. You could be flying when it shows 20 or 0 in a crosswind and not flying when it shows 30 (same weight and config).
ASI.jpg

Attachments

• ASI.jpg
    ASI.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,862
Sir, what do you think causes that particular brand / model of ASI to be so erratic on the low end?

Sir, what do you think causes that particular brand / model of ASI to be so erratic on the low end?

I suspect it's the pitot location. If it's on the wing, it should be way ahead (2 feet+_) of the leading edge in undisturbed air. Works fine in a DHC-2.

Most interesting, Sir; not sure how to go about mounting a pitot like that on a SC wing though. That appears to be the same type ASI used on a Huey (Aerosonic S-15-KAW), so I'm a little surprised the down wash from a Huey's rotor didn't cause problems like you describe -- or maybe it did, but it was barely noticeable when transitioning from hover to forward flight.

who is looking at the airspeed when in that configuration/slow speed?

The angle of attach will make it inaccurate anyway.

Aww AKT, it's just one of those things to talk about over a beer when we can't be flyin' . . . . . . .

Talk to Tim at Wings and Wheels. I've had good luck with some of the airspeed indicators from their gliders. Make sure to get the right size(2 1/4" vs 3 1/8") and marked in mph.

I am an IA... 36 years worth. heres the story from the FAA... its the same one I've been told for the 40+ years I've been working in, on, and around aircraft as a living. if you look on your airworthiness certificate it says in block 6 that the certificate is valid as long as it is maintained IAW parts 21, 43, and 91.... doesn't matter that you are CAR3 or 4a build. Part 21 (21.9) tell you what constitutes an aircraft part that is eligible to be installed on a certified aircraft. if it isn't on the list... it isn't eligible (yes, there are ways to get some stuff approved). long/short is that a required instrument needs a TSO or some other accepted standard (there are Mil Spec and OEM part numbered items for instance). a non-tso airspeed or altimeter is not approved. I've heard all the arguments on the internet.... I've been through this with other guys & other boards, but that's what the FAA tells me. I've discussed this at length with the faa & they tell me they just don't have the manpower to snoop under your panel but that doesn't change anything.. it's all good until you crash... btw, your insurance is no good if the aircraft isn't "airworthy" (I have also been an expert witness on airworthiness). I asked the faa why they don't make it absolutely clear & they say.... it already is. (go figger) It all boils down to this... if you know of ANY faa inspector or PMI at any FSDO that says it's OK I'd like to hear about it.

United Instruments model 8000, 0-150 mph. There are other speed ranges available in the 8000 so you may need to shop around to find one.

My Airspeed indicator is from a Helicopter. Thus the wide low speed inducation. It was checked by the Manufacture Aero in Clearwater then sent to have a new face for the PA 12.
I will post details on PMA parts and the folks who did this great job on the face.

Attachments

• 1377437026357.jpg
    1377437026357.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 228
Sean007mi5,

Could you post the PMA parts for this helicopter airspeed indicator and the people who did the work of putting a PA12 face on it?

I have this nifty double wrap Kollsman in my Murphy. Absolutely accurate. Unfortunate part is it's the only one I've ever been able to find. Been flying behind it for over 15 years.

Attachments

• djkpanel.jpg
    djkpanel.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 259
... just an idea, Winter ASI 510* 6FMS also to order in MPH with your needed speeds

http://media.wix.com/ugd/043502_c72cab597b754b8bb847754f895d0056.pdf

I've installed several Winters gauges, altimeters and airspeeds. I love them for the small aircraft because of the wide spaces between each number. And since they are originally designed for gliders, they are both, designed for extreme low speeds and are extremely light weight. You can get them in 2 1/4" or 3 1/8" sizes. And they are JAA certified which has been acceptable to the FAA, if you feel the need to deal with them.

Look at the website for Wings and Wheels for more in depth information and prices. Tim is gone but Matt will treat you right.

Web

Irish, can you get the number off the face of this gauge and post it please? I am looking for a new A/S gauge as mine has left the land of the living.

Hello ! I need to change my ASI . It is in kilometers per hour and don't work pretty well.
I just wonder if an air speed indicator with 120 mph limit is enough.??
I can see the original that has 140 mph . My cub barely can cruise at 80 - 85 mph. So in a dive maybe can reach 100 mph...
What do you think on the max speed gauge to buy??
Maybe with lower limit it is more sensitive to low speed..

Hello ! I need to change my ASI . It is in kilometers per hour and don't work pretty well.
I just wonder if an air speed indicator with 120 mph limit is enough.??
I can see the original that has 140 mph . My cub barely can cruise at 80 - 85 mph. So in a dive maybe can reach 100 mph...
What do you think on the max speed gauge to buy??
Maybe with lower limit it is more sensitive to low speed..

What rules are you operating under? I.e., what country are you in? See some of the above recommendations. I still like the Winters gauges. If you need to do paperwork on them, they are JAA certified. They also come in a variety of faces, such as one revolution of the needle, one and a half revolutions of the needle, in metric measurements of English. I get mine from Wings & Wheels in Idaho.

Web

I fly in south America. I don't have to install certified ASI. Just wonder which speed limit is better to have in a cub ?? Winter seem pretty good quality. They used them a lot in sailplanes.

I fly in south America. I don't have to install certified ASI. Just wonder which speed limit is better to have in a cub ?? Winter seem pretty good quality. They used them a lot in sailplanes.

Certified or not, flight instruments should be best quality. Any instrument that has a higher limit than the Vne of the airframe will work.

One of the reasons that I like the Winters stuff is that it is available in metric or English units, as you prefer.

Web

Has a pitot tube ever been produced that changes with relative wind?
Place it here on the wing where the relative wind doesn't change.

Notice the yarn attached to the pitot. 20210711_094408.jpg

I don't know why the second picture is posted? There is no yarn on the pitot in that pic. It won't delete.

Attachments

• 20210705_094657.jpg
    20210705_094657.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210711_094408.jpg
    20210711_094408.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back