• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Olibuilt 's New Cub project

Paint them black and red, they’ll be beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Must have. Don't leave home without it. Bobblehead or hula lady optional.

download.jpg

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,251
Theys Rednecks ever where and in every country...…..Not just Down south here in Ga...…..Great video's

knpwuRPpmaE00iv93pf_Y7iTC0MMVF009z9XyyedQIU5oOmNJPNa2JUIAxTu0rrMGpzBska2J5d5EzLb4HF3a-8uEOevntjUJ6LkYLKezdWc1WMbKJBEiEByB7anMo-LMMe9SUGLN9XaTxaOalbUv5pn45sfNCvm-3j_X4QTnccf7l1m1grWXk_3gg25Y54mr5F9if7QPtOnjMFiKw_YwWAxQGel0u7rg7KF-RmR1K2dAc8uIsZEpZaUzHbREcaKJApUQTa7gYoi6Uj-94zTYfw1xcgDUnSVmhVuUQ9ZRaf2s-bBal6u1G-D93z_MDR3v0ePqiDVhaIWGOoe_lcBHHopW1ZZFfUq9g_emHEykRKEDi8bP70PfVsZKysgo4rynreeE-HauZuttvy37n1orSNRNoT6Pvtb4HQVTFh0hPoNVPMIodto2LlDerI5O-_a-CXtmMR1GF-uzzIFgQjnf6uRHWi5Mh-xuZQRvb24mxYj_Mf7wW5pLsWGnF_RJcEBRm5_Xo2-8-lm-AqYoLrBSHULoiQDGokGlsXNbo_i83gcjh_55gi97JzNWHjpKLrSz1QNZcUtfCAQQcHVsYTmabuShhqKtx28EwFFsA8=s1080-no

Cold winter is here. Perfect time for a small project.

I'm building new 3x3 elevators.

Hope they will make a noticeable difference.

IMG_9021.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9021.JPG
    IMG_9021.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 329
Cold winter is here. Perfect time for a small project.

I'm building new 3x3 elevators.

Hope they will make a noticeable difference.

View attachment 40814

Hey Oli -- Are you fab'ing the channel (somehow?) or are you using a standard Piper channel for the "ribs" of the elevator?

(I need to do this exact same project this winter but have not yet started in earnest...)

Yes Mr. KingBrown. I'm hoping for some landing distances improvement.

Motosix: I have bent some triangle shape steel strips in the brake. You can see the 4' brake in the left of the picture.
I can upload some pics to share with you if you like.

Motosix: I have bent some triangle shape steel strips in the brake. You can see the 4' brake in the left of the picture.
I can upload some pics to share with you if you like.

Yes, please!

(This thread is one of my favorites. You need anther big project so we can watch the progress...)

Oli, Are you running out of elevator authority? If you are able to fly slow enough for the tail wheel to touch down before the main gear your elevators are big enough. If you want to shorten your landing distance look at increasing your flap down travel.

I already have about 65 degrees flaps after deflection. But I realized that the plane could fly slower at 50 degrees of flap.
65 is real good when I need to land in a tight spot.

Here is a video on an absolute no wind day. About 2 degrees Celsius, 500 ASL, 400 pounds in the plane (but the big 8" gas ice auger was in one piece behind the passenger seat, which helps).

I feel like I may need a little more elevator authority.

Go at 40 seconds

Oli. Look at :53 seconds. You are not using your stabilizer trim during landing. If you will use your trim, you will not need as much elevator as the nose up trim will provide a lot of nose up force. If you want to fly slower I could make a suggestion for a wing tip change.

These type of projects are brought on by a long cold and dark Canadian winter, probably made worse when you like to squeeze performance and love to build. IMO the larger elevators definitely won't hurt but at some point you may have to increase the size of your rudder as well to keep more effectiveness power off at slow speed. I would also suggest a wing tip change to increase performance.

The hoerner tips will out perform the flat plate, more efficient, could do some testing with the tip fence to see if that helps. My thoughts are it would but that's only my opinion.

I would agree with Skywagon. Using full nose up trim also gives a safety advantage when braking hard. It feels unnatural to some because you are holding stick forward instead of back as you approach. Most cub trimmed full nose up will require quite a bit of forward stick pressure until you are very slow, with little or no back pressure for the flair. The advantage of this is that now you are creating more drag at the tail and you can add more power to compensate. More power means more air over wing and tail. You can get the same drag effect with full nose down trim and pulling the stick back but as you land and transition to hard braking now you have given away some tail downforce that may prevent you from going on your nose. I would dial this in slowly over several landings until you get the feel for it. I would say a bigger tail will help with lifting the tail up when you are heavy if that is an issue, but trim may also solve that. Also try not to drag it in, a power on steep approach to a tail wheel low landing, should give you your best results. I would also agree that wing mods, flaps/tips will be what really helps. Your plane is already in the top 5 percent when it comes to performance so gains will be hard won.
DENNY

I could buy some wingtips. The small Dakota Cub or CarbonConcept would be my choices. But this mean I would need to install another full rib at the tip, and then the wing tip.

Here are my "temporary" wing tip fences:

IMG_9034.JPG

IMG_9035.JPG

IMG_9036.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9034.JPG
    IMG_9034.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_9035.JPG
    IMG_9035.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_9036.JPG
    IMG_9036.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,057
Thanks for all the comments.

"It feels unnatural to some because you are holding stick forward instead of back as you approach"

That is my exact feeling. But it is now clear, after watching my video, that it should be trimmed full nose up.

Middle trim for this guy too:

Back