• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Harrison Ford Screw Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack,
You couldnt be more wrong. I have made plenty of mistakes. Starting this thread was one of them. I have not reported anything that wasnt true. If it annoys you put me on ignore.

No one is forcing you to read it.

Last edited:
Caught it about 1.5-2 miles out and lined up with the correct runway.

Caught what??
icon7.png

I haven't been John Wayne in decades, but when they rebuilt/expanded the terminal why didn't they move it to the other side by the big runway and move the GA stuff to the beside the small runway ....(quote)

Didnt know theyd redone the terminal but I had the same thought.

I flew commercial into and out of Orange County this week. Looking out the window it appeared a bit confusing, wish I had had a front view...

It is not to be trifled with. If you go in there VFR be on your A game. Figure out where Signal Hill is, and study the airport layout.

In regards to the NTSB - the last three years have seen a change in SoCal. If you sneeze on the runway, and one wheel leaves the pavement for a second, the NTSB is automatically involved. It then goes to the FSDO, and to you. All this was decidedly not true prior to 2013. If you abort a takeoff, the NTSB tasks the FSDO to find out why, and you will get dinged if it was maintenance related and you did not get a mechanic's signature after. Be careful in SoCal.

Note that now the feds are insisting that VFR runways be 75 feet wide, and that taxiways at BII airports be 126' wide. One possible solution: any time you hear a runway number, recite it back with your N- number, and memorize it or write it down. Then look for the number painted on that narrow runway.

Just an opinion. Reciting runways in readbacks is not required. Yet.

Sounds like a CA problem. Another reason I'm not visiting the nanny liberal bastards anytime soon. MN not far behind either.

Sounds like a CA problem. Another reason I'm not visiting the nanny liberal bastards anytime soon. MN not far behind either.

Only the twin cities area. Even us cheese heads get along with the rest, cause we have to deal with Milwaukee and Madison.

Web

Exactly the same in the NY region Bob. The standard response to the tower when they ask you why you aborted the takeoff in your Cub on the 7,000 foot runway: "I left my gloves in the car"

Rich

Speaking of aborted takeoffs.
I was on my way to JC (3U2) with some friends. Our last fuel stop before JC was Gooding, Id (GNG). We took on fuel and taxiied for TO.
The wind was favoring 27. There were 4 Cubs. I was #4. The other 3 took off with no problems.

I rolled and tried to pick up the tail. I could not. I was approaching flying speed and the tail would not come up. A long time ago, I learned that it is better to keep a problem on the ground if possible. I aborted.

The other three cubs came back to help me. Steve Pierce was one of them. We checked out the plane and could find no problems.

A duster pilot that had witnessed this offered an explanation.

Turns out the wind shifted to a significant tailwind as I started my roll. The density altitude was about 7000 ft. I was still pretty new to tail draggers and it just felt wrong. We regrouped and departed on 09 with no problem.

Why do I tell this? I aborted because my 40+ years of flying and my spidey sense told me it wasnt right. There was no tower but wouldnt have cared if there was.

This was my reason for starting this thread. It was news because it was Harrison Ford. I was puzzled as to how this could occur with an experienced pilot. I am 68. I know that I have lost a few steps. He is 75. I am always vigilant to any signs that tell me that my flying career may be drawing to a close. I have taken some heat from a few that have blown the event off. I am a big boy and not afraid to speak my mind. You cant please all the people all the time.

An Old and Not quite as bold as I used to be, Pilot.

A while back, I seem to remember an ATL based crew, landing in ATL at night, wee hours of the morning. 3 pilots on the flight deck, one of them a Check Airman. Yep, they landed on the taxiway, at night in a sea of blue lights staring them in the face.

Tom, that was a joke. As in "What mistake?" From that distance it probably just looked like you were correcting for a unique crosswind that happened to single you out.....

Last edited:
A while back, I seem to remember an ATL based crew, landing in ATL at night, wee hours of the morning. 3 pilots on the flight deck, one of them a Check Airman. Yep, they landed on the taxiway, at night in a sea of blue lights staring them in the face.
Your point?

There are pilots and then there are pilots. I have landed an airliner on the back side of the clock when the circadian rhythm was in the toilet. I was hardly at my peak.

Does not apply to the subject event.

Your point?

There are pilots and then there are pilots. I have landed an airliner on the back side of the clock when the circadian rhythm was in the toilet. I was hardly at my peak.
So it was you!...my back still hurts. :p

Last edited:
Jack,
You couldnt be more wrong. I have made plenty of mistakes. Starting this thread was one of them. I have not reported anything that wasnt true. If it annoys you put me on ignore.

No one is forcing you to read it.

Eddie,

You do not annoy me. I admire you. Sorry, this thread and the same on other forums annoys me. I shouldn't have picked on you.

I'll go back into my usual lurk mode.

BTW, I'm 70 and flying a SA750 and ask myself almost every other flight if it's time to quit, can't take the G anymore so why bother.....?

Regards,

Jack

I bought my first Pitts S-1 from the builder, who was 70 at the time. He sold it to move to an S-2B. No starter, 200 HP and he swung the prop for me when I picked it up. We have a guy at my airport now who is 86 and flies every day the weather allows. I consider these guys, and others like them, inspiration for me. That's the way I want to be when I get there.

Last edited:
Not to be too particular, but Gooding, ID is runway 7/25, and has been as long as I have been landing there.

Long time ago, I lined up on what is now 31L at Whitehorse. So I thought. About 5 miles out in winter, and 31R was not maintained, all white like the infield. Two patches of black ahead, I chose the one on the left. As I got closer, Tower said "Piper 3492Z, I see you are lined up on the ramp. Cleared to land." So I did!
They had a DC-3 on a pedestal. Biggest windsock I ever did see.

About that Gooding runway - you all do know that runways 20 at SNA used to be 19? Magnetic variation is changing, and along with it our runway numbers.

Did I tell you they changed our taxiway India to Kilo, so we wouldn't confuse it with runway 1 and try to land on it? And even though runay zero is really runway 36, I bet they changed all the Oscar taxiways for the same reason.

Your point?

Does not apply to the subject event.

Landing expetectency is a strong magnet. It often makes us do things we otherwise would not do. Such as, line up on the taxiway, line up on the wrong runway, land while another aircraft is on the runway, land over the top of another aircraft (which has happened 3 times in FLL). My personal struggle with this is at 500' remove myself momentarily from the landing task and call to my self, "correct runway, clear runway".

Equally so at controlled airports, towers will often lead you into the trap by being nice and giving you a better runway after you have already mentally prepared to land on the one originally assigned. You have to decide to "stick with the one who brought you to the dance" or go over and you should establish some minimums for that event even if it means a go around.

How about landing at night at DFW when the tower controller has cleared you to land. You are on short final when the tower clears another plane into position and to take off. As you are crossing the threshold the departing airplane's exhaust smoke obscures your vision as the tail of the departing airplane disappears under your nose. You elect to go around and simultaneously notify the tower that you are doing so while you pass over the top of the departing plane while hearing the noise of the departing plane's engines. The tower is BS at you for avoiding the unavoidable collision had you not gone around, insisting that you had been cleared to land.

Come to think of it, that was also a female controller as was my incident at LAX. Nothing against female controllers yet it seems unusual that two close calls were both presided over by a female with a microphone. :singer:

DFW ATC has a lot of "pilot unfriendly" habits. You really have to be on your toes there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back