• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Someone start making these for a scott 3200 tailwheel

The 3200 can be drilled and tapped 8-32 for a pair of steel buttons about 2/3 up each leg. Use aircraft grade cap screws and counter-bored steel ears, and secure with Loctite.

First time I saw this was on a 182, forty years ago. I have since duplicated it on a Stinson and my Decathlon. Stock Cessna 150 tow bar is then perfect!

I’ll have to see if I can snag a pic of the one someone I know uses. It’s dead simple and can be made quickly

I have Bogi-bars for each aircraft. High-quality and never slip off.

ive seen them slip off. all they have to grab on to is the head of a bolt, and are constantly working on the cotter key on the nut end. but they do work. i made a safety slide that goes down where they cant spread. put a hose clamp on each tube down near the tire and made a rectangle ring that goes around both tubes that slides down to the hose clamps.

that bolt looks like a way nicer fit, if i had a turning lathe. Just thinking, it should have some means to get it loose out in the bush, like with just a screwdriver, or a nut welded on the end.

Last edited:

With regards to a 3200, this is a solution in search of a problem.
Multiple mfr's make towbars that fit onto the axle bolts of the 3200/3400 tailwheel.
I bought one from Spruce 20 years ago for like $30.
Even now they're like $64.
What I'd like to see if an attachment or whatever to use one of those cordless sawzall-based power towbars on a tailwheel airplane.

Most towbars are just that, if you’ve ever tried to push a plane with a tow bar you’ll know what I mean.
A rainy day inspired project borne of frustration and boredom. Towbar clamps firmly to the axle bolt via a finger screw and is rigid enough to push a cub with full fuel an 4 psi 31”s out of the hangar without slipping off or landing you on your ass

66D1AD37-D8DB-4808-9730-AD287B722439.jpg
Baby bushwheel version
4E76BA0F-0871-4429-9CC0-C5482A60F5BE.jpg

Attachments

• 66D1AD37-D8DB-4808-9730-AD287B722439.jpg
    66D1AD37-D8DB-4808-9730-AD287B722439.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 507
  • 4E76BA0F-0871-4429-9CC0-C5482A60F5BE.jpg
    4E76BA0F-0871-4429-9CC0-C5482A60F5BE.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
I have a two tow bars, both the same generic blue ones from Aircraft Spruce. Either one fits the 3200 or the big tail wheel on the Cub or the little tail wheel on the Pitts. My solution for pushing out of the hangar without falling down was a piece of bungee cord to replace the wimpy spring. I should sell plans for the modification. It's very high tech.

ork
1111-4.jpg

If they make these with a 1/2 inch bolt and the right measurement between the nuts, no pun intended, im going to have one. and will report back sometime.

So.... what IS the right measurement between the nuts??
I agree it would be nice if the 3200 had more for the Bogert to grab on to, but mine has never slipped. I always make application of thrust and steering separate events, if that made any sense. In my case it's pretty much straight in and out of the hangar.

What about using the bolt and nut you already have and make two cupped washers for what you have. Washer welded to tubing or spin something out on the lathe?

Crummy drawing but.....

Glenn

I thought about exactly that same thing. I don't think that would work with the Bogert without cutting off the original ears/cups and welding on larger ones though. Mine fits well and shows no inclination towards slipping off. Not broke/don't fix.

So.... what IS the right measurement between the nuts??
I agree it would be nice if the 3200 had more for the Bogert to grab on to, but mine has never slipped. I always make application of thrust and steering separate events, if that made any sense. In my case it's pretty much straight in and out of the hangar.

My api tailwheel without taking it apart is 4 1/4 - 4 3/8. appox. guys whose planes double as rock crawlers i dont think would want to use these.

I like that accessory posted by tempdoug above. I'd have one if it fitted a 3400.

Dumb question maybe, but how would you insert the cotter/split pin in Glenn's drawing and also the Cub Crafters insert bushing?

I like that accessory posted by tempdoug above. I'd have one if it fitted a 3400.

Dumb question maybe, but how would you insert the cotter/split pin in Glenn's drawing and also the Cub Crafters insert bushing?

Drill a cross hole/window

Glenn

I'm with Oliver, sooner or later towbars that don't clamp will slip off at the worst time. Here is my version:

IMG_0940.jpgIMG_0941.jpg

Paul K.

Attachments

• IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 1,223
  • IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 1,269
Towbars are aptly named, they are designed for towing (pulling).
That's why people add fuselage handles (by BAS or whoever) to their spamcans.
That's what I use to push mine out of the hangar.
Most ragwing Pipers have very nice handles welded onto the lower longeron that should work for this.

Back