• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

$100 question... long fueling step on both sides or long & short?

DarrenLucke

MOT - Minot, ND
Going 3" extended gear for skis requirement - long step on both sides? Or a long & short?

if you have a door on left then 2 long

if no door on left there is no use for long one on left, other than pounds of useless weight.....

simple :)

Going 3" extended gear for skis requirement - long step on both sides? Or a long & short?

According to the weather report I watched on my TV tonight, skis are a good plan 'cause your getting the weather for it. Jim

What skis require 3" extended gear? If for a borer then make sure pedestal/axle height is not the requirement.

I have one long step on the door side (right) and nothing on the left. May even go with no step on the right too.
Works just fine with no steps for fueling on wheels, getting in is an always evolving art. Fueling on skis is always best done with a 3 step ladder.

Thanks Mike.. only thing was unsure of was potential spin / failure of single step - realize gotta be sure all would be tight regardless. May just go without for a bit and see as well & add later, thanks guys!

Airglas GLH3000's require 3" extended per STC, FA Dodge welds on the tabs required and appears as though brake attach plates have been turned to work too. They look like a very well put together system. On Class D towered airport / hangar ... own strip / land is on my wish list - so straight skis are out for now.

I like the long step on both sides. Way easier to fuel and to get to the engine when working on it while on big tires.

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Also with mike... Left side of cub only needs front gear leg short step. Have used that setup for years on cub. Pa-12 with two seaplane doors has two long steps. Airframe Inc. has the lighter drilled long step.... You need something on both sides with skiis...can't carry a ladder around for fueling....

I only put the long step on for my passengers.

I would be fine with a fuel step forward, and no step getting in, but passengers...

I have two fuel steps somewhere if needed

I like a single step on the left. Be sure it is well secured (tight! and maybe even "glued") so it does not rotate and put you on your arse. .......seen it.... .........have also seen some single steps deform and fail maybe 10 years ago (wrong metal or something)........I think they (F. A. D.) have the right metal now.

I wonder how much extra drag a "drilled out/lightened" long step causes. :) seriously

Refueling steps only-that's my opinion...my pax have no problem getting in forward of the struts--proper demo helps

i took the long step off to get new powder coat and didn't put it back on--not because of weight but because I liked the look without it on--vanity was my reason--and while getting it powder coated i realized for me it was basically useless

one of those mods--if you don't use it 90% of the time keep it off.

Darren,
I have your exact setup. I opted for the long step on both sides for symetry. It then became apparent it helped in fueling and cleaning the windshield. This mostly while on skis. I am sure if you would like to save the 1 pound differential you could in fact go with the short step.
That said let your conscience be your guide.
John

The folks at EDO had a name for the short fueling step which was bolted on the front struts. "Ball Ripper", I'll let you use your imagination for why it had that name. Apparently someone slipped on one.

As an A&P I like the long step on both sides for two reasons: easier to work on when on skiis and intuitively it seems like it would increase the strength of the landing gear. That said, I don't have any steps at all on my Cub.

Vickie

Just an update.... haha, love all the response to this - always another way to look at it and that's what I was looking for. I considered all of the replies and looked at the options - who knows how long I'll have the skis on but they are hydraulics w/ 8.50-6's. I never had a problem before wiggling into the front seat so I should be alright for that. I do, however, see problems with fueling w/ ladders and the wide GLH3000's so........ I ordered 2 "ball rippers" from Airframes, Inc - their single bolt on fueling step seemed a little more robust on their clamping method compared to the others I found. I also like living on the edge a little....

Cool the Supercub Choir only had Anne and Wendy singing soprano. I would like to hear you sing the Bon Jovi hit with the girls.

John.... hehe, I'm not that great of a singer - doubt highly I'd be a good soprano so I'll be extra careful while fueling out of consideration for all of ya... ;-)

I like a single step on the left. Be sure it is well secured (tight! and maybe even "glued") so it does not rotate and put you on your arse. .......seen it.... .........have also seen some single steps deform and fail maybe 10 years ago (wrong metal or something)........I think they (F. A. D.) have the right metal now.

I wonder how much extra drag a "drilled out/lightened" long step causes. :) seriously

Dave, you're correct. I had the little step on the left twist on me last winter. I landed on the wheel ski in the hanger, it hurt like h#%. Two trips to the DR and over a year later, I still feel it... I sure wish I'd had a long step on both sides, or used a little more common sense with the small step. I can assure you I will not use the single step again. It cost me a lot of good flying time :-(

Back