• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Seaplane Door

Supt

I'm looking at a project PA-12 and am thinking of adding a sea plane door. Being 6'4 might make it easier to get in/out. Any recommendations or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

My -12 with Charlie Center dual seaplane doors. The bottom jam is higher than a stock -12. After flying a standard -12 door modified to open up for 30 years & 3,400 hours, I initially found it a bit harder to get in, but after 500 hours I have a slick "jump right in" manouver developed. I love the left door, it's my primary way in and out cause ski pump on right side. And I'm a stoved up, busted up 61 year old. Skup and Stewart can attest to that!

IMG_0018.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 172
My -12 with Charlie Center dual seaplane doors. The bottom jam is higher than a stock -12. After flying a standard -12 door modified to open up for 30 years & 3,400 hours, I initially found it a bit harder to get in, but after 500 hours I have a slick "jump right in" manouver developed. I love the left door, it's my primary way in and out cause ski pump on right side. And I'm a stoved up, busted up 61 year old. Skup and Stewart can attest to that!

View attachment 31001

Thanks Scooter

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I'd be interested in your technique. I also find it a bit awkward to get over that high sill, being not quite so flexible as I once was.
Left foot on tail of long step, a hop up & grab left V with left hand wile swinging right leg over stick (that you moved fully left before start) then ass goes in seat and left leg goes in place. Let go of V. Can do it winter dress with bunny boots.

I put a 120 hours on in last 2 months and lots of in and outs & have it down. [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Left foot on tail of long step, a hop up & grab left V with left hand wile swinging right leg over stick (that you moved fully left before start) then ass goes in seat and left leg goes in place. Let go of V. Can do it winter dress with bunny boots.

Come on, how about a video?? What could possibly go wrong??

Come on, how about a video?? What could possibly go wrong??

You haven't heard about last weeks trauma yet Mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems like there are 3 distinct doors in discussion here:
a. Seaplane door-a standard door hinged at the top (see photos);
b. Crosswinds cargo door which is standard door with bottom rear squared off, hinged at either the top or on the front in the traditional hinge location-requires fuselage tube relocation and welding to make the squarer door fit; and
c. Crosswinds clam shell door that opens like a pa-18 door but with the bottom sill raised to make it hard to get into the plane with out a special Nadia Comaneci style move.

I think the best of all worlds would be the top hinged crosswinds squared off cargo door, but I didn't realize it was available until after my fuselage was already welded up. Yes that is a closure handle from a pickup topper you are seeing.

IMG_3964.JPGIMG_3965.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3964.JPG
    IMG_3964.JPG
    575 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_3965.JPG
    IMG_3965.JPG
    501.9 KB · Views: 138
When lacking a left side swing-up window a LH door is a great mod. Entry and escape options are a good thang.

Scooter, no tuxedo if you make that PA-12 entry video, okay?

After hearing of Scooters latest "adventure", I withdraw my request for the demonstration video in the interest of safety!

Back