• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Nauta flexible fuel bladders

Used my Nauta this weekend to get 8 gallons of E-10 regular for the Rotax, which just turned over 2000 totally trouble free hours,(TBO, in 9 years) and paid $2.24 per gallon. That little bit of fuel made all the difference thanks to headwinds the entire flight home. I love removable aux fuel containers of any kind, sure gives a lot of options for increasing range and saving money, both.

Swiss bag caps solution yet?

OK a little life in this thread.......

I have seen some of the caps that folks have modified and was wondering if anyone ever found an off the shelf one that works with the Swiss bags? My cap is the one that has the flare on the end of the outlet neck and looks to be tough to work with. Would love a cap that seals and one that has a bigger hose outlet for filling.

Second question is storage and carrying into the bush. I would like to have more than a couple of these handy for remote float flying in my 180. I am on Edo 2870's with no hatches. I was thinking these may work internal into a compartment with a fill/pump out line accessible and keep them in the floats. Anyone put one of these in a compartment and then fill/drain from there? I would carry a small plastic can and a hand transfer pump. Bit of work but fuel is life.

Last is internal storage in the aft baggage and extended area. I was thinking a tightly sealed bin would be possible to hold these full with the goal to empty them before coming out of bush. I don't like those cap and they make me never want to carry them loose internal to the aircraft. Has anyone used a bin?

I wouldn't use them without a good filter funnel, I tossed mine because of gummy gook showing up in funnel after fueling. I took it to be from the bag breaking down.

I always thought that car gas breaking down stuff was BS until I watched one of the swiss bags pretty much fall apart before my eyes. The male threads on the spout would just crumble. I had hauled avgas in them with no problems. Scary stuff.
I've burned thousands of gallons of car gas in the airplane with no problem and continue to do so, but no swiss water bags full of gas for me.
The Bushwheel bags are a lot more expensive, until one of the cheap bags falls apart at the wrong time.

I've used the swiss bags for years with avgas and had good success with most of the bags holding up pretty well. It's a complete no-go with mogas. I've modified the caps with some two part epoxy and plumbers fittings - works well. I quit using them for the reasons mentioned above; the gooey, gummy stuff on the inside. Not all swiss bags are the same. Some have a cone shaped screen at the filler cap. Those bags are a pain in the ass to fill. The other bags have no cone shaped screen, fill easily and quickly, but it was on these bags that I occasionally saw the gummy stuff. None on the other bags. I filled both bags with fuel and let them sit for a day or two and then cut them both open. It appeared the "screened" bag used a different adhesive and it held up pretty well, with little or no goo. Not the same result for the other bag. At that point, I just quit using them. I now use a bushwheel type bag - works great - so far.....

FWIW: I've carried a fair bit of E-10 mo gas in both the ABW bags and my Nauta bladder, with zero issues.

Back