• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

It's been a few days but now they are extracting it from the snow I thought I'd share the photos.

There was some initial reports and hope that this United Express jet landed on the runway in Presque Isle Maine earlier this week, amid heavy snow on their second approach, and simply slid off a greasy runway.

But the few photos published online do seem to support the passenger reports they landed beside the runway....

View attachment 41850

View attachment 41851

View attachment 41852

View attachment 41853

View attachment 41854

The ILS was notam'd out of service an hour after the airport was closed (presumably due to incident) - no idea if that was due to the incident or there was an actual issue with it.
Looks like United Express is now using the "ski runway" at Presque Isle!
They are going to need "Bushwheels" to land out there........... Or borrow some C130 skis?[emoji15]

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Took a long time to get an aerial photo taken and circulated it seems. Wonder much snow coverage was on the taxiway and runway at the time. The median does have an illusion.

IMG_3849.JPG

The crew was consistent on both approaches. Right down the median both times.

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 3.23.46 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 3.25.03 PM.jpg

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

Attachments

• IMG_3849.JPG
    IMG_3849.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 285
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 3.23.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 3.23.46 PM.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 255
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 3.25.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 3.25.03 PM.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
gear problem? not horrible idea.....

A really good idea I think. Just leave the gear up. Of course the gear down is probably what created enough drag to not be a 100 kt toboggan, until the mains ripped off. Sure looks like a short deceleration trail in the snow.

A really good idea I think. Just leave the gear up. Of course the gear down is probably what created enough drag to not be a 100 kt toboggan, until the mains ripped off. Sure looks like a short deceleration trail in the snow.

I only see center track, like a nose wheel partially down???

I only see center track, like a nose wheel partially down???

Who ever is taking photos is doing a bad job, or only releasing some images.

That photo above is the last half, apparently after the mains ripped off on a snow bank or other obstacle, seems airplane bounced and settled down again in the track shown above.

In the first post, fourth photo, you can see the right main laying about across from the runway signs. Left main of course is stuck in the engine nacelle.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

landing gear don't like snow banks....

i have pictures of our N107TA... it taxied well immediately after snowbank gear removal on landing... missing one main... not too much work to reinstall it in new stu... to ferry back home..

early 1990's?... I still remember/visualize my mom's word that day just before the troopers called.. she held up 4 $100.00 bills smiling, it was? march maybe... very slow time for money coming in... and a hour or 2 later the troopers called saying the gear got knocked off of the plane in new stew, and we sent Jack up to pic the pilot up....

Here's an initial assessment of loss of stabilizer control "during manual flight only": https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-...bulletin-on-aoa-warning-after-lion-air-crash/

Here's the interim AD 218-23-51 Boeing issued 11/7/18: https://theaircurrent.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/B737-MAX-AD-1107.pdf

Note the discrepancies potentially caused by an erroneous AOA input (Boeing's words). I guess whatever causes the malfunction is still the question.

Fix: Where's the stab trim CUTOUT switches Captain?

Gary

Software issue discussed here. Watch the vid in the top link. They knew more than the ops were first told:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/world/asia/lion-air-plane-crash-pilots.html?module=inline
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/10/business/boeing-737-max.html

Gary
A surprisingly well written article in a newspaper about aviation. This paragraph is troubling for me: "In designing the 737 Max, Boeing decided to feed M.C.A.S. with data from only one of the two angle of attack sensors at a time, depending on which of two, redundant flight control computers — one on the captain’s side, one on the first officer’s side — happened to be active on that flight." It seems to me when an electronic system is in use which operates a major control function, there should be redundancy in that more than one of these electronic systems would be functioning simultaneously and communicating between themselves. As I recall from the days when I was flying Boeing airplanes (20 years ago) there would have been three separate and independent systems which would communicate with each other so that there would be a "vote" with the faulty system being outvoted. Also in the Boeings which I flew there was a manual trim wheel which would rotate when the trim was being operated by any method. It was obvious when this wheel was moving. There was even a white line on it which the pilot would be able to see out of the corner of his eyes when it was moving. On the 737 Max with this M.C.A.S. system does this trim wheel not rotate? The pilots must have had some sort of clue that there was a runaway trim? I do understand why Boeing installed the M.C.A.S., just not their dependence on just one system.

after reading this, my mind says bird strike bending the sensor on side of plane……(active one)
mike, These sensors are generally located in an area which is unlikely to be struck by a bird. I'm not saying that it didn't happen, just that it would be a very isolated event. And now two airplanes with similar accidents?

Bill Rusk, what is the scoop from the inside?

Yes that single sensor out of 2 available being used, stuck out at me too. Heck even my phone has gyroscope in it to tell it where it is/what it’s doing in relation to earth.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

My missing buddy just called. He was out camping in the mountains for the last few days and did not know a plane was missing.. He flies a Chicken haling parts and mail. So I thought it might have been him.

If you're bored and interested in the recent Boeing 737 Max have a read here of the top threads: https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news-13/

There's some posts later on that appear to have some valid points and info on control. I started on today's date 3/12 to reduce the volume.

Some were still circling in EU today looking for a friendly to land as nations banned their ops.

Gary

Anybody have the story on this? Pretty sure it's recent within the last few days.

Deep Snow.jpg

Attachments

• Deep Snow.jpg
    Deep Snow.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 509
Why be there without at least three previous tracks to make a runway? Prop in snow a no go event. Great learning experience. Ski pole to stabilize walking?

Gary

Back