• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cruise speed for a 185

Tom3holer

Cape Cod
I am very close to getting a 73 185. I will be flying it tomorrow,prebuy has been done but due to wx could not fly it.
What power settings, down low, should I use and what speed should a straight bird indicate at 2500 feet?
It has standard wheels and tires.

Thanks,

Tom

I am very close to getting a 73 185. I will be flying it tomorrow,prebuy has been done but due to wx could not fly it.
What power settings, down low, should I use and what speed should a straight bird indicate at 2500 feet?

Thanks,

Tom
Not quite a 185 but for my '77 180 on uncovered 8.50's with an IO520 and a 3 blade 88" Mac. at 2500 and 24 squared I see the mid 130's (knots) down low (just too much fat air to go fast), take that up to 5500 and it's the mid to high 140's and at 7500-8500 (the sweet spot) I'll be in the low 150's indicated.

Hope that helps,

Kirby

Faster than most Mooneys, right? I fly a 201 and get right at 160 kts/ 10 gph. I have only maybe 50 hours in the 185, but the stock 180 won't keep up with a Mooney.

Faster than most Mooneys, right? I fly a 201 and get right at 160 kts/ 10 gph. I have only maybe 50 hours in the 185, but the stock 180 won't keep up with a Mooney.
Yea, yea yea, but in a 180 at least you don't have to sit on the floor and feel like you took a road trip in a MG when you get there and you can carry a truck load of stuff.

Last edited:
Understand, I think the early 180s are the finest light planes this side of a Cub. But if you want speed, they are not the best. I can keep up with a 180 in my Decathlon.

Some will say if you want speed, get a Maule. Our B model Mooney would keep up with the 210 HP Maule and burn six gallons/hour. Pretty sure the Maule was burning eleven,

I know you guys won't be able to carry half of moose my 160 hp tailwind does 200 miles an hour on 7 .5 gallon

Thanks,

Tom

Who cares? Do you like it?

Density, temp, prop, load, pitot static system, indicator... so many things can make it weird, different.

If you like it, fly it! Who cares what Kirby's and Bob's planes speeds is. It is about YOU enjoying the flight.

Understand, I think the early 180s are the finest light planes this side of a Cub. But if you want speed, they are not the best. I can keep up with a 180 in my Decathlon.
Please remember to pull up from that dive you use to try and pass me as I haul 4 + luggage and a big Yeti cooler for a week at the beach...

Tom, depending on the prop, W&B, and your definition of cruise power settings? Around 160mph. You probably remember it'll be a little faster with some weight in back.

please remember to pull up from that dive you use to try and pass me as i haul 4 + luggage and a big yeti cooler for a week at the beach...

lmao!:lol::lol::lol:

SB, seems to me 160 would be a tad high, but you might be right on small tires and no stol kit or vg's.

I remember one conversation years back a guy saying the 180 he was flying was the fastest he had flown at 145 mph. It was cut for speed, all but wheel pants. had three tailwheel tires on it appeared;-)

Mine at 25/2500 easily exceeded the 160mph structural cruising speed at 1000'msl when I had small tires on. With big tires and tailwheel I average around 145mph at mid weights and 24/2400 so I'd still expect to see 160 with small tires. Full throttle and 2700 with healthy prop and engine should make 180+ mph. Mine did. That's the test I'd want to run.

1976 model, 24 square, 17gph, 172mph (just into the yellow arc) shraight wheels, 155mph Fluidyne wheel/skis (I think) and a little over 140mph on EDO 2960s.

Not a 185, but when it's light my 53 180 is good for about 140mph down low, at 22 squared / 11-12 gph.

Okay then. Faster than Mooneys!
Bob,

Enjoy your Mooney, my dad had one when I was growing up and he always said it's a good thing she's fast because after sitting on the floor for a couple-three hours it's like taking a road trip in an MG!

Kirby

Pponked 180 here. Numbers in MPH, power at 2450/22"' 14-15 GPH, low altitude.

160 on 8.50's
145 on wheel skis with cargo pod
135 on Aqua 3190's

I got my skandic super wide track up to 80 across the swamp not long after I got it running, (purchased as project). Was happy with such a heavy tub going so fast.

When I got home I noticed the bottom of the speedo: KPH:oops::lol:

Flew it today: 2500msl 77degF it indicated 150 at 24/2400 which is very close to what the book says so I was happy and gave him a deposit and will pick it up Friday.
Took a year of searching and looking at 9 airplanes.

Which tailwheel? It looks big on the picture on the other thread. Don't underestimate how much big tailwheels will
slow you down. At any rate, have fun with your new plane. Congrats.

Flew it today: 2500msl 77degF it indicated 150 at 24/2400 which is very close to what the book says so I was happy and gave him a deposit and will pick it up Friday.
Took a year of searching and looking at 9 airplanes.

Excellent! Good job waiting till you felt comfortable committing to "the one". Congratulations, and enjoy it.

MTV

Pponked 180 here. Numbers in MPH, power at 2450/22"' 14-15 GPH, low altitude.

160 on 8.50's
145 on wheel skis with cargo pod
135 on Aqua 3190's
That fuel flow seems very high for that power setting. If you were using 2400/24" it would be more correct.

Congrats Tom3holer! You will love it.

My '73 A185F with a Lycon IO520D, Gami's, 86" 2-blade seaplane prop, 26" Goodyears, 13" tailwheel, Sportsman STOL, WingX, VG's, Strut cuffs, no rotating beacon:

1,500 to 3,000msl

23 squared 145mph indicated LOP 10 gph
25 squared 165mph indicated LOP 12 gph

after sitting on the floor for a couple-three hours it's like taking a road trip in an MG!

Now that's just downright insulting to MGs!

Just kidding, of course... I drove an MG Midget (re-badged Austin-Healey Sprite) on an 1600-mile round trip in the winter on the interstate highway system. Not exactly it's "design mission"... Butt was sore for 3 days! Arms were only sore for a couple of days from trying to keep that tiny, lightweight car in its lane as 18-wheelers passed (or vice-versa - not sure the statute of limitations has expired yet).

Now that's just downright insulting to MGs!

Just kidding, of course... I drove an MG Midget (re-badged Austin-Healey Sprite) on an 1600-mile round trip in the winter on the interstate highway system. Not exactly it's "design mission"... Butt was sore for 3 days! Arms were only sore for a couple of days from trying to keep that tiny, lightweight car in its lane as 18-wheelers passed (or vice-versa - not sure the statute of limitations has expired yet).

Ha I know the feeling, our family stable included at one time or another 5 Bug Eye Sprites, 1 TR4, 1 GT6+, 1 Spitfire, 1MG, 2 Morris Minors, 1 Jag, and a Mini Cooper S (a real one) and lots of English car jokes and more than one set of British racing green jumper cables, me I drove Jeeps.

Ha I know the feeling, our family stable included at one time or another 5 Bug Eye Sprites, 1 TR4, 1 GT6+, 1 Spitfire, 1MG, 2 Morris Minors, 1 Jag, and a Mini Cooper S (a real one) and lots of English car jokes and more than one set of British racing green jumper cables, me I drove Jeeps.
Gee, that's a lot of Lucas spares you'd have to keep on hand...

Had my share as well: One Sprite, one Midget, two different MG-Bs, one TR-4. But when they were running, they were a LOT of fun. The "B" was my all-time favorite, partially because it was (by far) the most reliable of the bunch. Ah, memories!

155 on W/Skis? That was downhill, eh?
OK, 152mph or maybe ???. It's been awhile so I was going on memory, hence (I think). Then again, the tach might have been 50 low so 24 might have been 2450. Maintenance jokingly claimed that's why it was faster than everyone else. Basically a stock 185 with IO-520D and 3 blades.

Back