• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cubcrafters Unveils New Carbon Cubs: EX-3 and FX-3

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
CubCrafters_EX-3_FX-3-Small.jpg

CUBCRAFTERS UNVEILS NEW CARBON CUB

Innovative EX-3 and FX-3 Models
Feature More Power, Speed, Range, and Payload

Yakima, Washington – November 22, 2017: Light aircraft manufacturer, CubCrafters, is introducing two
new variants of the company’s hugely successful Carbon Cub model, the Carbon Cub EX-3 and FX-3. The
Carbon Cub EX-3 is an experimental amateur built (E-AB) kit, and the Carbon Cub FX-3 is the company’s
FX (Factory eXperimental) builder assist version. Both feature CubCrafters’ new, more powerful, fuel-
injected engine, constant-speed propeller, and higher 2,000 lb. gross weight limit.
“With more than 500 Carbon Cubs flying, we are pleased to announce another meaningful step in the
evolution of this aircraft”, said Randy Lervold, president of CubCrafters. “The Carbon Cub has a well-
earned reputation as the performance leader among adventure aircraft, and now, with the introduction
of the new EX-3 and FX-3 models, we are raising the performance bar even higher”.
The new airframes are quite similar in appearance and dimension to existing Carbon Cubs, but the new
fuselage and wings are designed and tested for increased gross weight (2,000 lb.), and higher speed
(130+ mph cruise). The EX-3 and FX-3 sport a composite Trailblazer constant-speed prop and spinner
from Hartzell, plus the aerodynamic carbon cowl from CubCrafters’ flagship, the XCub. Hidden beneath
the cowl’s distinctive cooling fins turns an entirely new fuel-injected power plant created by the
combined design resources at Superior Air Parts, Aero Sport Power, and CubCrafters. Together, these
upgrades define a Carbon Cub that fills a logical position between the existing Carbon Cub EX-2/FX- 2
models and the XCub.

Exclusive New CC363i Engine
Providing power for the EX-3 and FX-3 is the new CC363i power plant. Developed in partnership with
Superior Air Parts and Aero Sport Power, the CC363i is a lightweight four-cylinder engine with fuel
injection from Precision Airmotive and electronic ignition by Lightspeed Engineering. Unique to the
CC363i is CubCrafters’ ultra-lightweight cold air induction system. The company’s engineering group
employed computational fluid design tools and considerable testing to optimize airflow within this
exclusive carbon fiber manifold. Like previous Carbon Cub engines, the CC363i also features a very light
aluminum oil sump fabricated entirely by CubCrafters. The CC363i produces 186+ horsepower and has a
9.0:1 compression ratio for extended service life.
Core engine components provided by Superior Air Parts include tapered barrel Millennium cylinders,
roller tappets, and a counterweighted crankshaft. CubCrafters’ long-time engine partner, Aero Sport
Power, provides assembly and testing of the CC363i using the Superior components, Precision Airmotive

FOR RELEASE 12 A.M. PST, NOVEMBER 22, 2017
Silver Hawk EX fuel injection, Lightspeed dual electronic ignition, and CubCrafters’ new proprietary
induction system and oil sump.
Hartzell Trailblazer Composite Constant-Speed Propeller
Like CubCrafters’ top-of- the line XCub, the Carbon Cub EX-3 and FX-3 are fitted with Hartzell’s
lightweight Trailblazer constant-speed prop. The company offers an 80-inch Trailblazer as standard, and
an 83-inch is available as an optional upgrade. Compared to the fixed-pitch prop available on current
Carbon Cubs, the Trailblazer yields appreciably higher thrust for takeoff and climb, higher speed, and
greater range for the EX-3/FX- 3.
Increased 2,000 lb Gross Weight Limit
The construction of the Carbon Cub EX-3/FX- 3 allows an increased useful load of up to 977 lbs, which is
greater than any previous Carbon Cub. The new fuselage and wings feature even more robust design
and execution compared to previous Carbon Cub models. The new 3x3 landing gear was originally
designed for the XCub and features strengthened fuselage attach points. The wings’ rear spar and
attachments have been bolstered, the leading edge uses thicker aluminum, and the new struts resemble
those from the XCub. Despite the Experimental certification basis for the EX-3/FX- 3, the entire airframe
has endured structural, systems, and flight testing that is similar to that of our FAA Part 23 certified
aircraft.
As suggested above, the new Carbon Cub EX-3 and FX-3 share a number of design advancements
developed for the company’s top model, the XCub. CubCrafters’ exclusive G-Series ailerons and flaps,
aerodynamic carbon composite cowl with cooling louvers, and composite engine cooling baffles are all
included on the new variants. Particularly welcome is the adaptation of the XCub control stick with
improved positioning and multifunction grip, and a high-output triple-zone cabin heater with windshield
defrost.
“Pilots who have flown the new prototype universally report that it climbs aggressively, handles
beautifully, and is even more refined than the current models”, says Lervold. “In fact, the thrust
generated by the new aircraft is 20% higher than any previous Carbon Cub!”
Carbon Cub EX-3 kits and FX-3 aircraft are already being delivered to customers. For more information
about the new airplanes, visit cubcrafters.com/carboncub. You may also contact CubCrafters or your
local Certified Sales Center.
ABOUT CUBCRAFTERS
CubCrafters, founded in 1980 by current owner and CEO, Jim Richmond, is located at McAllister
Field Airport (YKM) in Yakima, WA. CubCrafters’ roots are in the 70-year history of classic
taildragger aviation, but its products and services are innovative and completely modern.
CubCrafters designs and manufactures Experimental, LSA, and Part 23 Certified aircraft.
The Carbon Cub family has redefined expectations of “backcountry aircraft” with its light
weight, powerful engines, and breathtaking performance. The company’s newest introductions,
the Carbon Cub EX-3, an E-AB kit, and FX-3, an addition to CubCrafters’ clever Factory
eXperimental builder assist program, further advance Carbon Cub performance. The flagship
XCub substantially expands the mission profile of sport utility aircraft with its higher speed,
longer range and larger payload. The Top Cub offers a useful load of over 1,000 lbs. and is the
most up-to- date iteration of the historic Super Cub available.
For more information visit CubCrafters.com.
CubCrafters
1918 South 16th Avenue

Yakima, WA 98903

www.cubcrafters.com

Attachments

• CubCrafters_EX-3_FX-3-Small.jpg
    CubCrafters_EX-3_FX-3-Small.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 960
Last edited:
It is news to me!

Sounds very nice from the release verbiage.

If you havent flown a CarbonCub, go get a test flight........all that power and light weight are addictive!!!

I have not flown this new new CC

Empty weight must have climbed a bit since they say the gross weight is 2000 with a useful of "...up to 977 pound..." (do the math.....2000lbs minus 977lbs means empty weigh is 1023 lbs)

But it will still be a HOOT to fly.

It is news to me!

Sounds very nice from the release verbiage.

If you havent flown a CarbonCub, go get a test flight........all that power and light weight are addictive!!!

I have not flown this new new CC

Empty weight must have climbed a bit since they say the gross weight is 2000 with a useful of "...up to 977 pound..." (do the math.....2000lbs minus 977lbs means empty weigh is 1023 lbs)

But it will still be a HOOT to fly.

1023 is pretty light for an 0-360 (basically) with a constant speed prop cub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I priced a kit out on the website, wow! Not cheap. Nice kit though.....

I priced a kit out on the website, wow! Not cheap. Nice kit though.....

I remember when I was first starting out helping work on planes in late '80's the one brother bitching that a brand new super cub cost almost $40K... :) and we were buying C-185's for $40K used, $60K with new engine, paint and interior...

I remember when I was first starting out helping work on planes in late '80's the one brother bitching that a brand new super cub cost almost $40K... :) and we were buying C-185's for $40K used, $60K with new engine, paint and interior...

I remember when they were a lot cheaper than that.

Bought my first plane a 1946 Piper j-3 in 1966. Cost me a whopping $1250.00!First Cub.jpg

Attachments

• First Cub.jpg
    First Cub.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 499
I've been told the FX3 on tour EW is 1117

Glenn

Marketing. Probably on those little bitty tires that are never leave their hanger and minus the normally installed options. ;) My Dad dispised the marketing people and the spin they put on things whan he worked at Cummins Engine Company.

Marketing. Probably on those little bitty tires that are never leave their hanger and minus the normally installed options. ;) My Dad dispised the marketing people and the spin they put on things whan he worked at Cummins Engine Company.

Here's a reply from the despicable marketing people:

We've been flying the Carbon Cub FX-3 (Serial Number 1) with both 26" and 29" ABWs. Attached is the original W&B as certified with 26" Goodyears (1,117 lb.), and the equipment list after adding AOSS and 29" ABWs (1,125 lb.).

View attachment CCX-2000-0001 Arm-Moment.pdf
View attachment CCX-2000-0001 Equip List.pdf

Attachments

• CCX-2000-0001 Arm-Moment.pdf
    87.5 KB · Views: 519
  • CCX-2000-0001 Equip List.pdf
    226.9 KB · Views: 462
Here's a reply from the despicable marketing people:

We've been flying the Carbon Cub FX-3 (Serial Number 1) with both 26" and 29" ABWs. Attached is the original W&B as certified with 26" Goodyears (1,117 lb.), and the equipment list after adding AOSS and 29" ABWs (1,125 lb.).

View attachment 33814
View attachment 33815

That is more in line than the 1023 lb. empty weight in the press release if you subtract the 977 lb useful load from the 2000 lb gross weight. Outa be a heck of an airplane. can't wait to fly it.

I reread my first post and see where it might be taken as I was saying that the 1117 lbs was marketing. I was thinking that the 1117 was more realistic than the 1023 lbs in the press release.

I reread my first post and see where it might be taken as I was saying that the 1117 lbs was marketing. I was thinking that the 1117 was more realistic than the 1023 lbs in the press release.

N363EX is a nicely loaded airplane (glass panel, Oregon Aero seats front & rear, suspension, tires, urethane paint). It is fairly typical for our buyers in terms of options.

The Despicables are happy to provide real data whenever you like.

Where would you get back the 100lbs? Would the subtraction of bushwheels, ASOS, Oregon Aero seats and a baby bushwheel yield the original 1023lbs? .....wish I could afford one but since I can’t, I might as well pile on;-)

The FX3 demo is enroute to South Florida. Good lord willing and the creek don’t rise, I get a demo flight tomorrow.

I still would rather have a 940lb Carbon Cub on 31s. Has anyone ever stuck a cruise Catto on one to see how fast it would cruise? Might just need 2 props for all missions?

Glenn

The FX3 demo is enroute to South Florida. Good lord willing and the creek don’t rise, I get a demo flight tomorrow.

Don't do it Eddie. ;) Talked to Mike Sasser this morning, sounds like a heck of a Cub and it goes fast too. Might keep you from going to the dark side with a Cessna. 8) He is getting his demo in a week or so, can't wait to fly it myself.

Back