• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Graham, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska in a 90 hp Super Cub.

Work is as done as it is gonna be and we are almost pack and ready for a break of dawn departure. Thanks to Stewart for the use of his Spider Tracks, SJ for the Crackberry and all the tips, well wishes and offers of places to stay from everyone. Got lots of phone numbers and will see where we end up. We will update with pictures etc. Can't wait to be on the way. :)

Hey Steve, this is going to be fun for us also. We will be checking out your trail and storys. Have fun

Bill Ingerson

And they are off...... 2011-04-20_07-15-04_796.jpg2011-04-20_07-19-32_362.jpg

Attachments

• 2011-04-20_07-15-04_796.jpg
    2011-04-20_07-15-04_796.jpg
    943.6 KB · Views: 480
  • 2011-04-20_07-19-32_362.jpg
    2011-04-20_07-19-32_362.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 1,144
Here is the Spidertracks link and my Spot link

Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0t5VgtkkollujrbktWiR5F5ZcWodnNCU0

Spidertracks https://app.spidertracks.com/home.m...75vAC_g2Nv_NGqv-FF2u5YgWh91Ye-1wlhYQqRF38lscl

Thanks everyone for all your tips, we really appreciate all the help.

For anyone who wants to view the track on Spidertracks, open the link, click on Latest Tracks on the yellow box at the upper right, and select the track you'd like to see. The current or most recent will be at the top of the list. If you look right now the boys are crossing into Oklahoma. You can convert the view to satellite and change the scale to get an idea of what they're seeing out their window. If you click on any bubble in the track you'll get flight data for that report including time and position (similar to SPOT reporting) but also will see ground speed, altitude, and heading. Ground speeds should be fun to watch as they encounter winds both favorable and unfavorable. We may see them hunting for altitudes to ride the winds as well. Fun stuff.

Tal's using the cigarette lighter to power the Spider. Since his power socket is connected to the master he can leave the Spider plugged in and not do anything more with it over the entire trip. Each time the plane is powered up the Spider will begin a new track and will continue that track until powered down. As long as it's plugged in there's no further input required by the pilot, it'll just work.

Stewart

Last edited:
Stewart, it must take someone smarter than me to open a Spidertracks webpage. Nothing I click on opens anything. Spot seems much simpler and foolproof to me.

You're entitled to your opinion. I have no trouble viewing the Spidertracks page through the link. Familiarity is an advantage. That's why I tried to provide some instructions of how to see the current track.

SB

Stewart

The Spider tracks appears to work really well, with this system you buy block time on a monthly basis and it is use it or lose it correct?

I can see some advantage over my spot with the frequency of reporting.

Dale

Stewart, there seems to be a login. Maybe you've got a saved cookie that is letting you in? I get nothing useful from the link.

The Spider is very cool. Seems to send out a new location every 2 minutes versus 10 minutes for the Spot. This is fun watching. I'll check the winds and see how much they're being slowed down. Thanks Stewart !

Dave

Pretty cool---now they are NW of Texola. I can't type fast enough to keep up with that rocket.

A perhaps not-so-objective observation? I can see with the Spidertracks that the boys have stopped at Wheeler Municipal Airport. With the SPOT? I can't tell that they stopped or where they stopped.

In respect for the spirit of the thread, this is about Tal and Steve's grand adventure. I'll re-ignite the Spidertracks thread to answer Dale's questions and any others. Let's enjoy the boys' journey, even if only vicariously.

Stewart

So much for avoiding Oklahoma... need to check to see if they paid the toll, but then again they were west of Altus (a true garden apot... NOT)!

Last edited:
A perhaps not-so-objective observation? I can see with the Spidertracks that the boys have stopped at Wheeler Municipal Airport. With the SPOT? I can't tell that they stopped or where they stopped.

In respect for the spirit of the thread, this is about Tal and Steve's grand adventure. I'll re-ignite the Spidertracks thread to answer Dale's questions and any others. Let's enjoy the boys' journey, even if only vicariously.

Stewart
Stewart, click on the "Hybred" button top right of the spot screen and you can see a map/sat image combination with place names... pretty easy to tell where they stop.

You can interpret the reports that way I guess. The boys are moving again. The Spider has initiated a new flight leg beginning at Wheeler. The original leg will remain viewable as well.

SB

came right up and works fine, great to watch, I have the Spot but maybe Ill take a look at the Spider, I like that 2min. report.

DW

You can interpret the reports that way I guess. The boys are moving again. The Spider has initiated a new flight leg beginning at Wheeler. The original leg will remain viewable as well.

SB
Two fixes at the same airport = they stopped in my book.

Next stop should be K08 - Holly, CO.

If you are on Facebook, he is posting pics enroute. If you are not on Facebook, he will probably post pics from his laptop later. We downloaded Tapatalk on his Blackberry, but never did get it figured out before the trip.

This is fantastic--a virtual trip to Alaska! In real time with pictures! It is simply amazing what the infromation age has doth wrought!

By descending a few hundred feet they picked up some speed, though.

On the ground in Lamar. Probably filling the Cub tanks and emptying their own.

Back