• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Portable GPS units becoming obsolete! Replaced by Iphone and Ipad!

I don't trust any of this new stuff. I'm not giving up my 11 year old Airmap 500, anybody got a update card newer then 01

Glenn

The easiest and surest way to control any creature is to make it dependent on you, on some need you fulfill. First, provide it dirt cheap or free to kill other sources, then withhold it. The creature, amoeba or pilot, will then do whatever you want it to.

The easiest and surest way to control any creature is to make it dependent on you, on some need you fulfill. First, provide it dirt cheap or free to kill other sources, then withhold it. The creature, amoeba or pilot, will then do whatever you want it to.

You must work with Warren Buffet and Bill Gates?

Dplunkt, I hear you about the use of polarized sunglasses. I found that if I hold the iPad in landscape position I can see the screen as normal but when I turned it portrait the screen went black with the P glasses. BUT, with the pad in the Otter box I can see it in both positions so it must be the screen saver that is built into the otter box system.

Some of you guys get way to wrapped up into the gadgets and how to use them, or not to use them! Go buy some AvGas and go out contact flying! It's a good mood changer:roll:

JK

I tested my iPhone and iPad GPS apps while driving between Austin and Tuscon. Lots of no service areas particularly between Ft. Stockton and El Paso. I wasn't impressed.

12geezer - I hear you. I am waiting for someone here to lament the passing of the four-course navigational system and the outrageous lack of Morse code capability in younger pilots. And so it goes, technology changes and life goes on.

12geezer - I hear you. I am waiting for someone here to lament the passing of the four-course navigational system and the outrageous lack of Morse code capability in younger pilots. And so it goes, technology changes and life goes on.

DME and VOR still need to be identified via Morse Code. Before you shoot an ILS... you have to understand Morse Code. Happens everyday!

Any idea where to get a panel mounting system for the iPad? The one used by Cub Crafters looks interesting. Experimental use so that should open up the available sources. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Marty57

Any idea where to get a panel mounting system for the iPad? The one used by Cub Crafters looks interesting. Experimental use so that should open up the available sources. Any ideas?Thanks,Marty57
If you need it flush, build a support and recess it. Or don't, because in a few months the current iPad form will likely be obsolete.

I hear Garmin is preparing to introduce a 99 cent app that'll render their expensive boxes like the G-1000 obsolete. :roll:

http://www.airgizmos.com/iPad-Panel-Mount_p_47.html

Last edited:
What is the penalty on these personal type computers to have constant vibration...

What will happen in 200 hours of that vibration?

How many hours does you GPS function in the same vibration?

just wondering.

iPads are 100% solid state, as are the newer iPods, Macbook Air, and some MacBooks. No hard drive to rattle around. No problem.

Does anyone offer aviation software for iPads or iPhones that includes obstacles? I find that to be one of the most important features of the Garmins. 4Flight, for instance, does not have this feature.

Im so glad I live in the NW with natural landmarks called mountains, lakes, and rivers. I guess living and flying here most of my life has also made it easy to navigate. No batteries, Subscriptions, or Updates needed. A compass, watch, and sometimes even a sectional seem to work fine for me. I have crossed the country many times that way too. I love gadgets widgets and all the modern technology but not when I get in my Supercub. I have had a Garmin Pilot III for years and that's all I have ever needed. Use it for long x-country when trying to maximize fuel for endurance. It runs 24 hrs on 4 AA batteries, Is small and out of the way, and reliable. I have no electrical system, usually fly with ear plugs, and avoid towered airports or airports in general. I like the simplicity, romance, and adventure of flying. Prefer to keep things simple. Never had much interest beyond that. I guess to each his own. It's nice to see things like the Ipad simplifying the cockpit and eliminating clutter. Who knows maybe someday when I'm too old to hand prop and need to put an electrical system back in my airplane I may consider that as an option. I still like the GPS with buttons over the touch screen. It's hard to work a touch screen in turbulence I have found.

Jason

Im so glad I live in the NW with natural landmarks called mountains, lakes, and rivers. I guess living and flying here most of my life has also made it easy to navigate. No batteries, Subscriptions, or Updates needed. A compass, watch, and sometimes even a sectional seem to work fine for me. I have crossed the country many times that way too. I love gadgets widgets and all the modern technology but not when I get in my Supercub. I have had a Garmin Pilot III for years and that's all I have ever needed. Use it for long x-country when trying to maximize fuel for endurance. It runs 24 hrs on 4 AA batteries, Is small and out of the way, and reliable. I have no electrical system, usually fly with ear plugs, and avoid towered airports or airports in general. I like the simplicity, romance, and adventure of flying. Prefer to keep things simple. Never had much interest beyond that. I guess to each his own. It's nice to see things like the Ipad simplifying the cockpit and eliminating clutter. Who knows maybe someday when I'm too old to hand prop and need to put an electrical system back in my airplane I may consider that as an option. I still like the GPS with buttons over the touch screen. It's hard to work a touch screen in turbulence I have found.

Jason

Or your eye sight goes to pot and you can't see the PilotIII anymore. ;)

Is that why your computer monitor is so big Steve - LOL

I found your next birth day present, this way when you loose your reading glasses you can still call and order a new pair :lol:

opticom-big-button-corded-telephone.jpg

Gotta flip you a little crap just because I know that day is coming where I'll need glasses too bud

Attachments

• opticom-big-button-corded-telephone.jpg
    opticom-big-button-corded-telephone.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 128
I have to agree touch screens suck in a Cub. It helped to discover they record when you let go, not when you touch.

Jason

And I thought that I was the only guy out there with just earplugs. Jason keep up the good work.

Glenn

.-- . .-.. .-.. --..-- .. -.. --- -... . .-.. .. . ...- . - .... .- - ... --- -- . --- ..-. ..- ... ... - .. .-.. .-.. -.- -. --- .-- -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . .- -. -.. ... --- -- . --- ..-. ..- ... .-- . .-. . -. --- - -... --- .-. -. .-- .... . -. .. - .-- . -. - --- -... ... --- .-.. . - . --..-- --- .-. --- ..- - --- ..-. ..-. .- ... .... .. --- -. .-.-.- .... --- .-- . ...- . .-. .. - .. ... .- ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-.. .- -. -.. ...- . .-. -.-- ... .. -- .--. .-.. . ... -.-- ... - . -- --- ..-. -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - .. --- -. .- -. -.. ... - .. .-.. .-.. .-- --- .-. -.- ... .--- ..- ... - ..-. .. -. . - --- -.. .- -.-- --..-- .--- ..- ... - .-.. .. -.- . .- -.-. --- -- .--. .- ... ... .-.-.- -.-- --- ..- -.- -. --- .-- .. .----. -- .--- ..- ... - .--. .. -.-. -.- .. -. --. --- -. -.-- --- ..- --..-- .-. .. --. .... -

.-- . .-.. .-.. --..-- .. -.. --- -... . .-.. .. . ...- . - .... .- - ... --- -- . --- ..-. ..- ... ... - .. .-.. .-.. -.- -. --- .-- -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . .- -. -.. ... --- -- . --- ..-. ..- ... .-- . .-. . -. --- - -... --- .-. -. .-- .... . -. .. - .-- . -. - --- -... ... --- .-.. . - . --..-- --- .-. --- ..- - --- ..-. ..-. .- ... .... .. --- -. .-.-.- .... --- .-- . ...- . .-. .. - .. ... .- ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-.. .- -. -.. ...- . .-. -.-- ... .. -- .--. .-.. . ... -.-- ... - . -- --- ..-. -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - .. --- -. .- -. -.. ... - .. .-.. .-.. .-- --- .-. -.- ... .--- ..- ... - ..-. .. -. . - --- -.. .- -.-- --..-- .--- ..- ... - .-.. .. -.- . .- -.-. --- -- .--. .- ... ... .-.-.- -.-- --- ..- -.- -. --- .-- .. .----. -- .--- ..- ... - .--. .. -.-. -.- .. -. --. --- -. -.-- --- ..- --..-- .-. .. --. .... -

well,idobelievethatsomeofusstillknowmorsecodeandsomeofuswerenotbornwhenitwentobsolete,oroutoffashion.howeveritisausefulandverysimplesystemofcommunicationandstillworksjustfinetoday,justlikeacompass.youknowi'mjustpickingonyou,righ-

Will you guys cut it out. I'm still trying to decipher Metars, I don't need anymore code to figure out

Hey, Steve P's Dad and I pounded brass (that's a cw code key) in the Navy and I'd use it in a pinch if I could. But there are no more ground stations using code to communicate with, not even with the old SOS from a Gibson Girl. But its been easy to move into the high tech navigation with all the GPS gizmos. From what I hear from Tim Allen's buddies, he flies loaded with them. Which shows anyone become absolutely trusting in their operation. We all know that GPS helps guide our Air Force Missiles, so after listening to the following simple explanation of its operation, you too can throw your wet compass, timex watch and paper charts in the can:
http://mylifedock.com/how-a-usaf-missile-knows-where-it-is

I have fifteen transcontinentals in a J-3 with only a semi-ok compass and a cheap watch. I now turn the 295 on for local flying, but will not let primary students use gps ior anything else until dead reckoning and pilotage are mastered and trusted.

The 295 is superior to the iPad for navigation, because it only takes a glance to see everything you need. I use mine for backup on ILS approaches. Opinion.

My concern with the iPAD is the background processes. I have coded in that OS and I KNOW it's not fault tolerant. However, iPAD IS A Great machine for commercial money making. But, dedicated small light CPU/OS for nav is my style right now!

Back