• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Beringer Introduces Ultra-Light 10" Wheels and Brakes

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
beringer1.jpg

beringer2.jpg

Attachments

• beringer1.jpg
    beringer1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 3,614
  • beringer2.jpg
    beringer2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 3,076
the only, initial armchair engineer issue that pops out to me, is the "spokes" are perpendicular... they probably need to be slanted to offset? braking action, tire spin-up not so sever.... interesting...

Floating disc?​ Cleveland abandoned that idea decades ago. The discs used to chatter and wear out the wheels, eventually needing replacement. Put them on our planes, run them through the sand bars adding grit to the mix. I wonder how they'll stand up over time? The big airplanes use a multiple disc assembly which tends to stabilize itself. I'll stick with the fixed disc Clevelands or Groves, thanks.

These wheels and brakes are not TSO'd yet so they are available for Experimental cubs only !

Thanks, I see now it says they meet the TSO but I guess it has not been granted yet. Are you going to seek a TSO on them? STC as well? Appreciate the information.

We will TSO AND STC them yes but not before mid 2018, we are really focusing on the STC for the gear and 6'' wheels right now.

Most probably don't know this but I was the first to put a 35" ABW on small airplane. At the time there were no wheels that would work so I machined my own, I eventually machined at least 10 sets for others from billet.

The price they are asking for the set up is very good, they can't be making much of a profit at that price.

My wheels where heavy except for a few sets I made for myself that I went crazy taking out weight. I have put my light weight wheels through a lot over the years and never had one fail. I don't care for the spokes for some of the reasons already stated and I don't think it is required to get the wheel light weight.

My wheel weighs 7 lbs not including bearings or bolts, it would be interesting to know how much that wheel weighs without hardware, what the weight savings is carving out the spokes. I like the solid face of my wheels.

I am not looking to machine wheels for anyone so this is not an advertisement for me to make billet wheels. It is a lot of work carving out all that aluminum, if I remember right it was around 55 pounds of chips per wheel half or over 220 pounds per set.

It would be nice to have a larger brake disc, I would run a set if they want to comp a set for testing. Maybe the spokes would have no issues with sand and dirt getting into them.

Greg

Floating disc?​ Cleveland abandoned that idea decades ago.....

Hard to tell from the photos but to me the discs don't look like they're floating, they appear to be bolted.
They do index into the wheels similar to the old floating Goodyear brakes which clipped into the wheel, ala 1940's Cessnas--
does anyone else remember walking around all hunched over looking for someone's clips that popped out?

the only, initial armchair engineer issue that pops out to me, is the "spokes" are perpendicular... they probably need to be slanted to offset? braking action, tire spin-up not so sever.... interesting...
The brake disk is to the rim of the wheel. The only rotational torque the spokes see is the drag of the wheel bearing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Hard to tell from the photos but to me the discs don't look like they're floating, they appear to be bolted.
They do index into the wheels similar to the old floating Goodyear brakes which clipped into the wheel, ala 1940's Cessnas--
does anyone else remember walking around all hunched over looking for someone's clips that popped out?
You are right they were Goodyears. It was so long ago that this idea was abandoned that I forgot who it was. The rims were pounded into expanding, the discs rattled, the retaining clips fell out and when the pucks wore down they fell out.

Ha, Goodyear’s! Those were on my 170 when I bought it in the 70’s.... I have some great stories because of those brakes, like landing on the old runway 33 at Merrill, no right brake so I had to do a left 270 to exit the runway.... tower said it was an acceptable method to exit, but most people just do a 90 to the right!

Most probably don't know this but I was the first to put a 35" ABW on small airplane. At the time there were no wheels that would work so I machined my own, I eventually machined at least 10 sets for others from billet.

The price they are asking for the set up is very good, they can't be making much of a profit at that price.

My wheels where heavy except for a few sets I made for myself that I went crazy taking out weight. I have put my light weight wheels through a lot over the years and never had one fail. I don't care for the spokes for some of the reasons already stated and I don't think it is required to get the wheel light weight.

My wheel weighs 7 lbs not including bearings or bolts, it would be interesting to know how much that wheel weighs without hardware, what the weight savings is carving out the spokes. I like the solid face of my wheels.

I am not looking to machine wheels for anyone so this is not an advertisement for me to make billet wheels. It is a lot of work carving out all that aluminum, if I remember right it was around 55 pounds of chips per wheel half or over 220 pounds per set.

It would be nice to have a larger brake disc, I would run a set if they want to comp a set for testing. Maybe the spokes would have no issues with sand and dirt getting into them.

Greg

I remember your wheels Greg. Bill was building the tires for Beavers and had no wheels and you built yours. I had a guy that wanted 35s so bad. I had the field approval in the bag until the non-TSO'd wheel question came up.

Greg
I've got one of those. Top quailty work!

Sent from my SM-P900 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back