• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What happened to the AkAvCamslt app?

pa11driver

Anyone else having trouble with this app? Mine no longer seems to be able to pull up the cameras. When I tried to update the app I can't find it anywhere in the app store.

I emailed Mike a couple of days ago about mine. He told me the FAA changed their site and disabled his link to it. They've threatened to disallow repairing his app to work but they're working on a compromise/solution. Maybe we pilots need to make some noise to the FAA. After all, it's a non commercial website and Mike is making our access to it better and more useful. They should be helping him, not screwing with him.

SB

Agreed, Stewart. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help on this end.

sj

All is good at the moment..
Just waiting for Apple to review & approve the update I submitted 8 days ago..... which will work till the FAA flushes their server/bookmarks again....

BUT.... by Nov 10 for sure when they go live with new website then app will be very broken... they have a beta of new site up http://209.165.164.193

they have offered a way I might be able to continue, IF we can agree on terms..... at the moment I can't sign it how its written.. it's close, we are talking still...

and I have started learning/writing server code for it.....

might be a bumpy road for a bit, even in the best case....

I pulled the app from sale a couple weeks ago when I knew there might be a chance it might not be updatable..... once update is approved I will put it back up for sale(not really to try to sell, but it must be for sale in order for the update to be available to download.. crazy apple thing..(maybe i can just make it available to buy in romainia or such?))

soooooooo.....

this was part of the conversation I got from my sept 16 inquiry on a chance to see beta site early...
Hi.
Can you provide me with a link to your new Weather Cams website demo, so I can start getting ready to update my iPhone/iPad app....
I have almost 3000 users that will be out of luck for a while when the new site goes live & it kills my App. If I can have some time to start getting an update started many people will appreciate it...
When do you think it will be going live?
I usually try not to put out updates during the hunting seasons when people are out hunting, and with bad bush internet connections....
Thank you!!

....We are aware of your app and the service you provide to Alaska aviation entities and we’re interested to help you to continue that service...
....Due to abusive activities from a number of entities we are taking action to improve our system security and service integrity processes to ensure our service remains available to the flying public and to those entities, such as your company, who provide services that assist us in our mission to improve aviation safety and efficiency through the distribution of camera images and other weather data products to the public.

With that, I want to offer you the ability to properly collect images from our system. Through a data-sharing agreement, the program office will make a URL available to you that provides access to scripts that will generate either XML or JSON files, which contain all the information as required to identify and retrieve the aviation camera data directly to your system servers.

Last edited:
Mike, thanks for the update. If there is anything we (as a group) can do to support you let us know!

SJ

speak of the devil...

it just got Apples approval...

and now is processing for app store... so check for app store update in a few hours?

Thanks Mike, I sure hope you can work something out with the FAA. That is the most useful app on my phone by far, I'd hate to lose it. Let us know if there is anything we can to to help get it pushed through.

Mike,
I deleted my old and I am searching for the new one.
So is the new site called "Alaska Aviation Weather Cameras" for $.99??

Perhaps I misled. The update is offered automatically if you've previously purchased the app. Go to the App Store and select the updates tab. In fact once you've purchased the app you can reload it again for free using the same iTunes account even if you intentionally deleted it. I do it all the time if an app starts acting wonky.

Last edited:
Its on the App Store now and has the same look as before (a good thing) for those of us that have a slight electronic handicap!

App probably dead/dying on Nov 10th when FAA scheduled to roll out new web site design....

been working on/learning what I need to do to serve info/images from my server since FAA gave me test access a few days ago(finished that part!)....

bumpy roads ahead for a bit...

gonna be a while till I get first(hack..) update figured out & finished.....

and then probably a bit till i get next one done & make it work well...

But all is good!,
I think this will force me into learning how to provide just what I want/..low bandwidth info for remote users...

maybe even get the sat phone wifi hotspot version done......

then maybe? finish the android version? or not??...
how many want android version? I only get 1 or 2 requests a year.... but I finished writing it a year and a half ++ ago.... never finished testing it/releasing it..

If it works or not, thank you for making it and thank you for trying. I have used the crap out of that app last few years and Im sure many others have also. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Greg

Mike,

Attached is a google analyitics report for the last two months of access to supercub.org from Alaska. IOS made an early foothold up there and is still the predominant way folks access the website. Down here, it is about 50/50 for pilots with ios/android - although the ipad remains the king of supercub.org preferred access devices. Although it does not directly relate to your app usage, it does give you a little insight.

Great work!

sj

Attachments

• Analytics www.supercub.org Location 20140901-20141109.pdf
    182 KB · Views: 169
In the meantime the weathercam mobile site is an alternative to maintain smartphone access to the cameras. And this alternative should work equally well on Android devices. I prefer Mike's app but I appreciate that the FAA is trying to make the camera information easier to access. Using their mobile site requires your web browser but the site seems to be optimized for smart phones. Bookmark the FAA mobile site's pin drop camera map until Mike decides what to do to better it. Pinch the Alaska map open to zoom on a region and de-clutter the map. Tap on the pin you want to view. All camera views from the station will come up on one page so you can scroll as desired. The camera page header includes a chart view, METAR when available, and GPS coordinates. CTAF info, too, since that changed recently. Clear day and time lapse loops are available in each view's header. The views can be pinched open to enlarge an area of interest.

http://avcams.faa.gov/m/map.php?lat=61.2154&lng=-149.8846&z=5

Maybe later this evening I'll do a test with the FAA mobile site and my Axcesspoint to see if they like each other. Unless somebody's already tried it. I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Mike
Hang in there. I use your app everyday!! I will be happy to buy a new app, it is some of the best money I have ever spent!
DENNY

as far as my AKAvCamsLt App goes, I've been working on the update for a month++.... I'm not done yet, then it has to get approved by Apple,

I finally(waiting since Oct 20th) got a wavier from FAA Today for last road blocks getting update finished, but now it's gonna get stuck in Apple's holiday shutdown too :-(

.... so it will probably be in Jan. sometime before its live again...

BUT IT WILL NOT DIE each time FAA changes there website now!!
I will be collecting the images and serving them myself from my own web server ..

............this time its gonna take bunch of work to get it updated(FAA moved to a new web site... and I now am required to design my own server software and serve the app pictures and content from that, instead off linking directly to FAA data....

On a side note, come the 20th it will be 5 years?(2009) that I first asked FAA if they had an API or some way to official access the images... when I was thinking this would be a useful project.... now looks like ~2820 users?/units downloaded?

For those of you who deleted it trying to get it working, and didn't get notified of the update, it's back in app store, Apple should not charge you again provided you sign in with the original iTunes account as when you purchased it.... https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/akavcamslt/id359317105?mt=8

Still got a few issues to iron out, few more updates to come (like FAA moved birchwood to a new siteID, so that crashes it, but I can fix that on my server.....) had to ditch the old images look back feature, might add that back at a later date...

this has not been a fun update :)

Yes Mike, I tried it recently and the pictures are back up. Thanks for getting it back on line. I plan on using it this summer, a lot.

Mike
Thanks for making it work!! I really missed having the app. I think it is one of the best and easiest safety tools to use up here!!
DENNY

ok,

I think I just fixed it so it wont crash on Birchwood now(Or any sites the FAA moves to a new ID # when they change cameras/directions..)

hopefully I didn't break any thing else..let me know

Mike, I just reupped this app on my iPhone 6 plus.

the app store did not prompt me for payment.

Where do I send you the $2 million your AkAvCamslt app is worth to me? Thank You.

kinda neat now for me to be able to see how many images have been viewed per day, as i delete last days worth... not many on these nice days, but more as weather is crapier .... been way to many nice days this year... we need RAIN!!!(and more image views..)

Back