• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Husky Shock Cords

bob turner

A reputable local shop asked my advice. I said if they were Cub or Super Cub I would do them as a favor, but a Husky ought to go to Afton, where they have the equipment.

I have only limited experience with the PA-12, using the appropriate tool, and consider that tricky. With local shop rates above $100/hour, I am thinking Afton is not only cheaper, but also a lot safer.

So what say you experienced Husky mechanics? This one is a C-model, very low time. Nothing wrong with the shocks.

Tell the mechanic to get the tool, read the instructions and just do it. Go to Acton for shock cords? You gotta be kidding?

MTV

So you are saying it is not a big deal? That I gave them the wrong advice? The PA-12 was a very big deal, even with the "proper" tool.

If I were to do a Husky, what would be the proper tool, and how long do you think it would take?

This is the tool I have used. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/scord_tools.php?clickkey=10596 Had to beef it up after a couple of uses on Huskies with 6 1380s. From Mike's post I assume Aviat has their own custom tool? I have not found them very difficult or dangerous to do but I also bought a large ratchet wrench to make it a little easier.

i have no idea what Aviat uses. Our mechanics used the tool you linked, and like you, they had to beef it up after several uses. My point was simply that, as you noted, Steve, it’s really not that big a deal. Our guys did it every year with gear changes. Fly to Afton for that? I sure wouldn’t.

MTV

Aviat rents the tool required. It is not a big deal to do—I assisted my mechanic. Call the factory and rent the tool and get the proper shock cords. I own the tool and if I was closer to you, I would just let you use mine. I don’t think it is worth going to the factory just for this.

Joe

So, grease the tool threads, oil the the thrust points help a lot. I also made stainless shields to protect the gear struts from the tool removing the paint.

Back