• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub headerless tank systems

bob turner

Anybody know what CC and Atlee had to do to certify the headerless fuel systems? Is it something as simple as putting an extra port on the front of each tank?

Bob, I believe some -12's came stock headerless, mine being one. Left tank has a forward port. Right tank does not. My Atlee 30 gal tank STC requires same, placarded left tank for takeoff and landing.

normal right cub tank needs to add a front outlet fitting... Atlee's come with it already installed...

the headerless STC is a whole separate issue....

Bob, I believe some -12's came stock headerless, mine being one. Left tank has a forward port. Right tank does not. My Atlee 30 gal tank STC requires same, placarded left tank for takeoff and landing.

yes, header tank was an OPTION, on a -12.... no serial number range... just and option that could be installed...

Reason I asked - J3 with two wing tanks and no header tank has been flying for 16 years with a 337 signed by an IA. It does reference a couple STCs, but the tank STC does not specify removing the nose tank, and they even got the quantity wrong. Passes annual every darn year. Not my airplane, and so far not my problem.

Workmanship is superb, and never any problems with fuel flow. It is being purchased by friends, and I need to do some serious arm-twisting with my favorite PMIs.

The drawing I have for factory -12 fuel system has rear outlets only and no header- a recipe for unporting in a descent, as I found out...

Reason I asked - J3 with two wing tanks and no header tank has been flying for 16 years with a 337 signed by an IA. It does reference a couple STCs, but the tank STC does not specify removing the nose tank, and they even got the quantity wrong.
Bob, There are four Type Certificates for J-3s. Which one applies to "your" J-3? A-691 is for the J-3 and PA-11. Perhaps "your" J-3 has a PA-11 fuel system?

Bob,
I did a dual tank, headerless fuel system in my Vagabond by FA if you would like a copy.
I believe it’s in the files of ShortwingPipers.org
Dave

Yes, that would help. I will look. This is an A-691 Cub with PA11 components. It has been suggested that anything in the type certificate can be altered with a log entry. But they filed 337s anyway. Not field approvals, just "We did this. IAs can do stuff."

The problem with that is there is an AD on the PA11 fuel system requiring a header tank.

Back