• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Blending together multi white panels!!

Philly5G

England
After a year of heavy duty fixes, my PA-12 is now done and I’m looking forward to flying IN it, rather than working ON it!!! The paintwork is not exactly new and on giving 2 front panels and the fabric in front of the door a big clean yesterday, it’s obvious that the paint is a combination of paint jobs and different shades of white. Before, during and after pics attached!!!

Short of a repaint, can anybody recommend a renovation type product, that contains a pigment that could help to blend the whites together? Thanks!!!! IMG_5433.JPGIMG_5434.JPGIMG_5435.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_5435.JPG
    IMG_5435.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
I sold my old pacer to Don Lee as a trainer. It got bent by a student and I commented on how nice of a job they did matching the red paint on the repaired wing. He said it was pretty easy because already had 5 shades on the plane to choose from.
DENNY

Whites and yellows have become impossible to match. I would mask the metal and shoot a uniform coat of white. You could probably do it with a rattle can if you did one panel at a time. Be sure to sand 400 wet first, and clean the sanding mud off.

Probably one of his that I landed on the glacier.DE2E616C-096B-414A-A40E-071C03FF6ABD.jpeg

I sold my old pacer to Don Lee as a trainer. It got bent by a student and I commented on how nice of a job they did matching the red paint on the repaired wing. He said it was pretty easy because already had 5 shades on the plane to choose from.
DENNY

Attachments

• DE2E616C-096B-414A-A40E-071C03FF6ABD.jpeg
    DE2E616C-096B-414A-A40E-071C03FF6ABD.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 205
After a year of heavy duty fixes, my PA-12 is now done and I’m looking forward to flying IN it, rather than working ON it!!! The paintwork is not exactly new and on giving i2 front panels and the fabric in front of the door a big clean yesterday, it’s obvious that the paint is a combination of paint jobs and different shades of white. Before, during and after pics attached!!!

Short of a repaint, can anybody recommend a renovation type product, that contains a pigment that could help to blend the whites together? Thanks!!!!View attachment 42639View attachment 42640View attachment 42641

The only application for pigments is putting more paint on. What you need is a buffer and some mild cutting compound to take the discoloration off. You still have white underneath there. You just have to expose it.

costco engine "cleaner degreaser" wiped off, followed by another wipe off with isopropyl alcohol, is great at removing yellowed dope.... back to white....

Image1556332090.926958.jpgNow I thought that looked familiar! Here’s your ex-plane again Denny, on wheels - I thoroughly enjoyed my few days with Don Lee’s outfit last year flying mostly this Pacer

Attachments

• Image1556332090.926958.jpg
    Image1556332090.926958.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 176
How do you like the yellow tint?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I really don't notice it when flying, only if I look out through the open side window and then everything looks very stark and grey through that gap in the yellow! Photos obviously have a yellow tinge, which DOES look rather weird!!

costco engine "cleaner degreaser" wiped off, followed by another wipe off with isopropyl alcohol, is great at removing yellowed dope.... back to white....

Sounds like a plan and thanks for the idea, although I'm worried that the bluish tinges I've exposed, using the T Cut and Autoglym paint renovator, are actually the bare metal beginning to come through the white, any thoughts on this? :oops:

The only application for pigments is putting more paint on. What you need is a buffer and some mild cutting compound to take the discoloration off. You still have white underneath there. You just have to expose it.

Sounds like a plan and thanks for the idea, although I'm worried that the bluish tinges I've exposed, using the T Cut and Autoglym paint renovator, are actually the bare metal beginning to come through the white, any thoughts on this? :oops:

Tsuz3kbTTpixAG+LoWSGaw.jpgtUTrVazmRo6+c4TyOqXaFA.jpg
Whites and yellows have become impossible to match. I would mask the metal and shoot a uniform coat of white. You could probably do it with a rattle can if you did one panel at a time. Be sure to sand 400 wet first, and clean the sanding mud off.

We ended up painting the whole right side of the top cowl, where I'd made and let in the new oil filler flap, you can see it in the pics. All went well EXCEPT someone had used silicon at each end of the cowl and the paint bubbled up :( I then flatted the areas again and repainted and the same problem :( :( so I'm kind of worried of more of the same and really just want to make the whole thing as smart as poss, before pulling the panels and sending them off for paint at the end of the season :)

Attachments

• Tsuz3kbTTpixAG+LoWSGaw.jpg
    Tsuz3kbTTpixAG+LoWSGaw.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 188
  • tUTrVazmRo6+c4TyOqXaFA.jpg
    tUTrVazmRo6+c4TyOqXaFA.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Although, from a distance the paint doesn’t look TOO bad [emoji41]IMG_5457.JPG57816926910__464D66E6-0FD0-4809-A7DF-5A7730622039.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5457.JPG
    IMG_5457.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 57816926910__464D66E6-0FD0-4809-A7DF-5A7730622039.JPG
    57816926910__464D66E6-0FD0-4809-A7DF-5A7730622039.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 151
How do you like the yellow tint?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This is what the "Green and pleasant land" looked like yesterday evening through the yellow perspex :)

There was about an hour until sun down and I experimented with alternately looking through the open window and the perspex and the ground definition was definitely sharper through the yellow, rather like the snow definition when skiing in bad light and using yellow goggles!!

anW0JxnhQoKjypgKKApjTg.jpgZ%HPtFu8QjGXCYhgPhaV5g.jpg

Attachments

• anW0JxnhQoKjypgKKApjTg.jpg
    anW0JxnhQoKjypgKKApjTg.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Z%HPtFu8QjGXCYhgPhaV5g.jpg
    Z%HPtFu8QjGXCYhgPhaV5g.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 142
Back