• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Drone is grounded.

Eddie Foy

South Florida
I got my new Spark drone yesterday. I spent the morning learning it and setting it up. Imagine my surprise when it would not fly due to the POTUS TFR that I am under!

You got lucky, flying into MSP the other day approach ATC was desperately trying to contact a VFR type who blundering around KSGS oblivious to what was going on.

I understand the principle but it was inside my house. I guess it is just the new world we live in. I often dream about moving to the wilds of Alaska and becoming a wild mountain man.

You got lucky, flying into MSP the other day approach ATC was desperately trying to contact a VFR type who blundering around KSGS oblivious to what was going on.

When the Donald is in town, I am often treated to the sound of fighters maneuvering under heavy G and afterburner.

The TFRs are a pain, but I deal with it. Only had the Secret Service and the Sheriff visit me once.

Flew into Taos some years back...hadnt planned on it but Angel Fire was fogged in.
Taxied up to the FBO and my heart missed some beats when i read a big sign in the fence. “Welcome Vice President Cheney”
Lady at FBO said “oh yeah, he was here a couple weeks ago”

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I understand the principle but it was inside my house. I guess it is just the new world we live in. I often dream about moving to the wilds of Alaska and becoming a wild mountain man.

In your house even! I hadn't thought of that.
I like the my radar app on the phone, it shows TFRs in bright yellow.

Eddie, you can turn that system off by downloading the setting software and hooking it up to your computer. At least most of them you can (DJI), but do you really want to?

sj

Speaking of drones, haven't heard anything from our fearless leader after incidents involving 2 different drones, pontoon boats and a certain lake. ;) 8)

Speaking of drones, haven't heard anything from our fearless leader after incidents involving 2 different drones, pontoon boats and a certain lake. ;) 8)

It's cheaper to watch other people crash theirs. Besides, I was an early adopter. All the new ones just fly themselves...

sj

I went the el cheapo route and got the Drone X ............ It will do more than I can with it. Just cant take the time to learn it. Any one else have one of these?

The program "Assistant 2" has no way to turn of the Geo Cache that I can see. Have to wait till tomorrow to play with it.

Eddie, you can turn that system off by downloading the setting software and hooking it up to your computer. At least most of them you can (DJI), but do you really want to?

sj

So there must be an ES type message added on to to signals sent to GPS receivers inside the TFR ring that shuts down drones. Makes you wonder what else they could shut down?

Not quite that sinister. The drone knows where it is. It has a database that show when the TFR is active. Will not let it takeoff inside the TFR.

So there must be an ES type message added on to to signals sent to GPS receivers inside the TFR ring that shuts down drones. Makes you wonder what else they could shut down?

I am not positive with that particular model DJI. However, the DJI my friend has must be WiFi connected to his phone. When you get it you have to take and pass and airspace test. No pass test no fly drone. It is preprogramed with all the airspace data and that data gets updated. So it knows what airspace it is in. My friend has not gotten into TFR airspace so has not experienced that yet. He has had these DJI units for some time they are very sophisticated. So I don't think it is getting the TFR data from the GPS signal that is updated via WIFI.

Geeee! What happened to the days when we used to fly our model airplanes in the local school yard? No one ever said a thing about it.

I've had several people call me asking permission to fly their drones several miles away from the airport. I wonder how many are flying without calling?

Makes me wonder what if the drone was flying and a TFR went active where it was?
Or if it was out of the TFR but directed by the operator to fly into it?
Would it quit and fall to the ground?
Maneuver clear of the TFR?
Or maybe self-destruct? :cry:

If you start a flight outside of the TFR, my drone will not penetrate it. Can't answer the first question. Guess is it would return home and land.

Makes me wonder what if the drone was flying and a TFR went active where it was?
Or if it was out of the TFR but directed by the operator to fly into it?
Would it quit and fall to the ground?
Maneuver clear of the TFR?
Or maybe self-destruct? :cry:

Back