Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin 796.. OR... iPad in Air Gizmo mount in center panal ???

Post Thanks / Like
    I was working with the Avionics guy yesterday and he told me that the supplier of the touch screen equipment is no longer making them and Garmin can't find a new supplier. I don't have any idea if this is true as I'm at the turn on turn off level. Although he did confirm Garmin is discontinuing production on the 796

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Clark View Post
    That was sold within a few hours of posting....

I need a tutorial on the Stratus vs Stratux vs Naughty Elfs stuff...
    It all depends on what information you want. If all you want is an accurate position, then an ďadd-onĒ GPS receiver is all you need. Thatís what the Bad Elf is. Just a GPS receiver that gets sent to the iPad (itís either plugged in or sent via Bluetooth). Itís a must with a WiFi only iPad, not so much with a cellular iPad. I run a WiFi only iPad because I donít want the added expense of an additional device on my cellular data plan.

https://ipadpilotnews.com/2018/12/ho...for-your-ipad/

If you want to see ADS-B traffic youíll need a Stratus, Stratux, or Garmin GDL 39/50. There are quite a few out there, some with attitude sensing chips that will allow your chosen iPad app to display a synthetic vision primary flight display. Donít get caught up in the FIS-B, or XM weather offerings- theyíre useless for us in Alaska.

https://ipadpilotnews.com/2018/03/wh...-should-i-buy/

ADS-B traffic works ok over the Cook Inket. I flew between Wasilla and Seldovia last week and could see traffic most of the way down and back. Itís nice to have, but not everybody shows up because not everybody has ADS-B out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks Alex Clark thanked for this post
    Likes Alex Clark liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, a cell capable iPad does not have to be cell activated in order to use the GPS.

I can open Garmin Pilot on my iPhone or iPad at 36,000' in the back of an airliner and within a few seconds know where I am. I like the built-in GPS.
    Likes Chicken Hawk, Alex Clark liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow learning a few things today.

I NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHICH PROGRAM OR APP IS BEST FOR ME. Then I can match up the gizmo taking to the iPad.

I have a Garmin area 500. Just need to fix the power source, since one of the previous A/C owner buggered that up.
    It works fine and has been updated.
    That will be on the far left of the panel.

As far as a new Mini

What I want:

1. I want ADS-B traffic reports
    2. I want Synthetic vision
    3. I want detailed surface maps. ( I already have FAA sectionals and approach charts in a Tablet with a built in GPS. but it is limited and drops signal sometimes. ) I still carry paper charts anyway. I need good topo info.

I do not need a fancy flight planning program or a list of the best fuel prices in America.
    I do not need anything for IFR flying. I have stripped this plane down to VFR low-level flight.

SO which has better surface topo maps, Garmin Pilot or Foreflight?
    Last edited by Alex Clark; 04-19-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow learning a few things today.

I NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHICH PROGRAM OR APP IS BEST FOR ME. Then I can match up the gizmo taking to the iPad.

I have a Garmin area 500. Just need to fix the power source, since one of the previous A/C owner buggered that up.
    It works fine and has been updated.
    That will be on the far left of the panel.

As far as a new Mini

What I want:

1. I want ADS-B traffic reports
    2. I want Synthetic vision
    3. I want detailed surface maps. ( I already have FAA sectionals and approach charts in a Tablet with a built in GPS. but it is limited and drops signal sometimes. ) I still carry paper charts anyway. I need good topo info.

I do not need a fancy flight planning program or a list of the best fuel prices in America.
    I do not need anything for IFR flying. I have stripped this plane down to VFR low-level flight.
    A Garmin GDL39-3D (now superceded by the GDL50) would do everything you want including feeding traffic info to your Aera 500 and bluetoothing the info to an iPad, along with all the ADHRS stuff that drives attitude instrument depictions and full motion synthetic vision. I've seen guys selling their GDL39-3Ds to upgrade to the GDL52 or other ADS-B devices. You should be able to get one for a lot less than a new GDL50. As for the app? Garmin Pilot's topo view looks like other Garmin products. That's the primary reason I prefer it. And Garmin doesn't charge extra for synthetic vision. Foreflight has a nice satellite view page but it requires a wifi connection. Not much use when flying. When you do get an iPad you can get 30 day free trials of Foreflight and GP to try them out.
    Likes Alex Clark liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex,

Just get a cellular enabled IPad. That will give you onboard GPS, no need for other stuff which needs to be connected to power, etc. Keep it simple. Yes the cellular IPad costs more, but still cheaper than buying another box, providing a power connection, etc.

Plus, more points to fail.

keep it simple. There’s no way I’d buy a Bad Elf, etc if I’m shopping for an IPad....just buy the one with on board GPS.

MTV
    Likes algonquin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Also as a CFI you can have free wingX , easy to do. I've been using wingX for several years and no problem except they don't have Canadian coverage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Alex,

Just get a cellular enabled IPad. That will give you onboard GPS, no need for other stuff which needs to be connected to power, etc. Keep it simple. Yes the cellular IPad costs more, but still cheaper than buying another box, providing a power connection, etc.

Plus, more points to fail.

keep it simple. Thereís no way Iíd buy a Bad Elf, etc if Iím shopping for an IPad....just buy the one with on board GPS.

MTV
    I donít disagree with you, except I had a cellular enabled iPad that was dropping gps signal. Even though it was an older model, when I upgraded I kept the external gps. Itís an unnoticeable step between climbing in the airplane and getting my inreach started.

I wouldnít be staunchly against an external gps device. But I wouldnít *not* buy a cellular iPad which has an internal gps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike V,
    I think I need something for the ADS-B (in) traffic. The ipad will not be doing that by itself. Nor would the synthetic vision part of the program.
    If I just wanted a GPS, I already have a Garmin 500 and a 7 inch Android tablet ( same size as a Mini-4) with an internal GPS and moving maps.
    I am hooking up wires anyway.... Lots and lots of them...

Post Thanks / Like
    When I get to the shop later today I'll take a pic of the stratus in one of the planes and post it. With that and the Uavionics you have in and out and just need a screen to view the in signal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike V,
    I think I need something for the ADS-B (in) traffic. The ipad will not be doing that by itself. Nor would the synthetic vision part of the program.
    If I just wanted a GPS, I already have a Garmin 500 and a 7 inch Android tablet ( same size as a Mini-4) with an internal GPS and moving maps.
    I am hooking up wires anyway.... Lots and lots of them...
    if you already have a tablet (and it’s fairly new and supported) why not mount it instead of buying an IPad? You can run Garmin Pilot on the tablet, and it’ll display traffic.

If you need ADS-B in, you’re going to have to install something like a Stratus, or (big bucks) Garmin portable anyway. So, now you’ve got one more portable that needs power and mounting.

So, just figure out what will do what you need, buy the stuff and wire them all up, mount them safely and go fly.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex,

Garmin Pilot is an excellent app. There used to be (and might still be) some features of the app that were only available on an Apple iDevice (not available on the Droid operating system) so you might want to check Garmin website and get clarification.

The Garmin GDL 39 will give you ADS-B in and works with both Foreflight and Pilot and is priced similarly to Stratus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Phil Whittemore

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about this thread a few minutes ago. Switched from watching a movie to Garmin Pilot at 38,000’ and 577 mph and from the back of the bus not taking any action to put the iPad near a window it took 4 seconds to know where I was. Pretty cool little device.

If I had my iPad connected to my GDL39-3D the right side of the split screen view would have attitude indication and more detailed synthetic vision just like my G3X. Not like there's much to see in central Texas. It's a great setup.

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Last edited by stewartb; Yesterday at 02:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the cheapest stratus I've found IMG_3618.PNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooohhh... I was wondering how I would get a Stratus on top on my panel..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    6991CDA0-1214-4AAD-92AE-48F897504870.jpeg

F5BDC1BA-BE47-45FA-8758-6648EFA56EDA.jpeg

This is how and where I mounted a 796 in my Cessna. It doesn’t cover any other instruments and is easy to glance at for the pilot and a pax. Bluetoothed to a Garmin GDL52 for In.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Likes FdxLou liked this post