• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

35s

Like I said, buy what ever floats your boat. I was happy on 800x4 25 years ago. Then I got GY 25 x11x4 and was in heaven for over 10 years. Then $100 dollar 31s and it's even better. I think everyone should buy 35s so there will be more used 31s for sale.

Glenn

Is there any disadvantage to 35s over 31s, except for cost and weight? What are the advantages? I have 31s but have never even flown 35s and with my new Airframes fuse, they'll send me new 31s, or for a few more bucks, 35s.

Sorry for the drift Kid, guess if you already have 31s you should buy the 35s. If you don't use them it looks like you wouldn't have any trouble selling them?

Glenn

My brakes will stay locked till 2300 rpm or skid first. Some of us don't run out and buy the lasted and greatest when we can't figure out how to get things to work.

Glenn

You are running 4" brakes, with adapters, on 31" tires and you can turn 2300 RPM and stay locked up?

Please, tell us what engine/prop and which master cylinders.

Don't need to post pictures to prove anything. There are some pretty big rocks in Vol. 1 Big Rocks and Long Props DVD flying my Experimental Maule a.k.a. Bushwacker. Pictures really don't prove much as anyone can land and taxi into a totally crap place.

I find most people that post on here lack any real credibility but I will fly with anyone that wants to show up with there cub and prove my point!

Cubdriver2 totally proves my point with his set up.
OK, I accept the fact that you can land on BIG rocks safely. And I accept the fact that most other people do or can not. What I am curious about is, Why? Is the fishing better where the big rocks are located? Or is it just because you can and wish to prove a point to yourself? Just wondering.

I've built my airplane to have fun with it. 35's makes things even more fun.

But I find very difficult to determine if I can land somewhere new without have walking it before . Looks can be deceiving. You know you're in ruff stuff when your tailwheel fork and spring hit the rocks.

I know I will surely damage my aircraft someday. But I will continue to play with my airplane until that day.

IMG_5953.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5953.jpg
    IMG_5953.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 2,832
OK, I accept the fact that you can land on BIG rocks safely. And I accept the fact that most other people do or can not. What I am curious about is, Why? Is the fishing better where the big rocks are located? Or is it just because you can and wish to prove a point to yourself? Just wondering.

I don't have near the skill set as Greg nor the balls but I do enjoy playing on our local gravel bars that can be short, rough and pretty darn exhilarating. My Dad says I am an adrenaline junky. It is fun and I enjoy it. Lucky to have friends afflicted with the same sickness. 8)

Last edited:

Big tires allow one to not only INTENTIONALLY go into big rocks, but most are used I'm guessing going into places that have the POTENTIAL of having big rocks. That's how I use mine mostly, the rare big rock gravel bar aside. Kind of like taking your 4x4 up a road, while still in 2 wheel drive, but knowing you can hit 4 wheel if needed, it allows to see whats up that road, with a get out of jail free card. Big tires are an insurance policy,. No reason at all to do this, other then plain old fun! I usually do it to take a leak. Having a real emergency necessitating an unplanned off airport landing, is another good excuse to have large rubber. As is calling a truce on the war on the voles in my runway, I can't feel their mounds anymore so I just let them be.

Attachments

• 5-22-15 013.jpg
    5-22-15 013.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 316
When I get my strip going it will be about a 10% grade, maybe 12% and not very long. Turning back down hill, to taxi back to the bottom where I might put a hanger, bothers me from the standpoint that the tail is "up", via the hill, and at a 10% grade if you hit the brakes, and you have to, the nose over tendency is high but I thought the 2" higher, via the 35s, would shift my CG rearward thusly making it more unlikely that I would nose over. But I am not an aeronautical engineer so I don't really know.

Dave when you get that old crooked fuselage replaced you will be amazed at how great that old cub will fly. You could also lose some weight getting rid of the cuffs, save weight where you can, put 3” extended gear on it with Steve’s Brakes and Gascolator a Borer prop and Thrustline and 31s will take you anywhere your brave enough to go. At least that’s my experience. The performance gain you get with proper AOI in your fuselage is going to amaze you.
Dave from Miles City
( the guy who drilled holes in your door posts)

I am amazed at where 35s will land and what they will roll over but unless your going into those places 31s are better.
Just my opinion.
dave

For me tire size is determined by how it impacts rolling resistance on the surfaces I'm likely to visit. I have big tundra tires for tundra. Soggy, wet, littered with old black spruce and willow root wads, animal burrows, game path trenches, etc. Around my place 35" flotation and diameter will roll much easier than 31s. It's the difference between go and no-go. Maybe a better pilot in a different plane could get in and out on 31s. Not relevant. I built my plane for me. 35s are an important component for what my plane is built to do.

Three things I've never understood are how a person could pretend to understand someone else's financial choices, their risk management choices, and their tastes.

This thread seems to have become about instructing total strangers on all accounts:???:

One of the best cub guys I know has been known to follow me (or visa versa) having all the fun either of us can stand... me typically on 35's, him on 'streaks. We pick what we like, and don't prod each other for our choices.

As to the AK vs everywhere else mentality.... get over yourself. The most concerned I have ever been about potential LZ's in a cub, was towing a banner over downtown San Francisco. Trouble is wherever you find it.

Take care, Rob

I get it! You didn't want to damage the fabric on your fuselage. :-? How is the fishing in that stream?

It was not about damaging fabric it was about having everything exposed and easy to inspect or repair. It was actually a pretty cool idea I thought!
The fishing is great later in the year.

Same cub once I got the upper baggage built: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucdb0TKu3rk The guy that owns the airplane now and lives in Alaska loves this airplane. Has owned it probably 10 years now.

It was not about damaging fabric it was about having everything exposed and easy to inspect or repair. It was actually a pretty cool idea I thought!
The fishing is great later in the year.

Same cub once I got the upper baggage built: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucdb0TKu3rk The guy that owns the airplane now and lives in Alaska loves this airplane. Has owned it probably 10 years now.

Certainly a good performing Cub, and the spot will certainly not get regular visits from 99% of the regular Cub crowd. Thought I would post a picture
of what can be done even on 25/11/4's way back in the 1960's. Again not the sorta place the avg fella is going to venture into today. But great example of what a professional bush pilot can do with a cub. Thats Bill Sims as a young fella hitting a sheep strip when he and Denny Thompson operated out of Susitna Lodge. Like Bill Ellis and Jack Wilson,
All of them true "rock pile" jockeys!20190412_132701~2.jpg

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• 20190412_132701~2.jpg
    20190412_132701~2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 591
Certainly a good performing Cub, and the spot will certainly not get regular visits from 99% of the regular Cub crowd. Thought I would post a picture
of what can be done even on 25/11/4's way back in the 1960's. Again not the sorta place the avg fella is going to venture into today. But great example of what a professional bush pilot can do with a cub. Thats Bill Sims as a young fella hitting a sheep strip when he and Denny Thompson operated out of Susitna Lodge. Like Bill Ellis and Jack Wilson,
All of them true "rock pile" jockeys!View attachment 42476
Perhaps that is why that N number is not assigned to any airplane now?

So as I stated pictures of cubs in places can be real deceiving, an overhead photo could show an easy line through a wash etc. Anyone can taxi off the intending LZ to make it look more impressive. Yes there are big rocks there but I guarantee he did not roll over the big ones with that set up. We use are airplanes today for fun and more like dirt bikes, I would venture to say someone like Loni Habersetzer who is a modern day bush pilot lands places that only a 1960 era bush pilot would dream of. Loni built his experience playing like I do for fun, I would venture to say that there are modern day off airport pilots that would make the 1960 pilot cringe at what we do because we have a lot of experience do 30-50 landing in an afternoon. A lot of skill can be gained with repetition. Look at what the guys do at the X games and put that up against Bob Hurricane Hannah. Bob was the best in his day but the sport and equipment they used back then has far surpassed his abilities. I am not really sure what your point is, maybe men were better back then, maybe we should all just stick with the old 125 hp cubs and take our chances doing what we do. That does not make any sense to me....

Yeah 1960 era had the real bush pilots no doubt. I would hate to be aviating on a Polar bear hunt without a GPS up north in flat light and low visibility. That time is gone, never going back to that era so I do what I do now and love it. It is my escape!

Rocks are not common around here but I found some last Wednesday.
First landing was rougher than expected...

Tires were at 4 psi, which is too inflated for rocks I think.

IMG_9660.jpg

IMG_9661.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9660.jpg
    IMG_9660.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 3,136
  • IMG_9661.jpg
    IMG_9661.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 2,914
The added safety factor for when you misjudge the size of rocks or roughness of the tundra is one of the best arguments for getting 35's.
DENNY

Back