• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

If you have wingtip strobes, where to mount G-11 magno for the G5s??

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
I have wingtip strobes. Where is a good place to mount the G-11 sensor besides the end of the wing ???

I do not have a picture, but it is mounted behind the pressure bulkhead in a 340 I worked on recently.

If you do mount it on one of the bulkheads, take the time to document all measurements on the install in the logbooks so the next time it is modified the installer does not need to stand on their head to work on your former plane.

Nothing worse than working on these planes that have had monkeys randomly drilling holes wherever they please.

Tim

I have mine mounted on the outboard rib right in front of the spar. I am using Whelen LED strobes and it all works fine with minimal interference when you run the diagnostics during setup.

It's not nearly as critical as you might think with an aluminum wing. Keep away from the wiring and mount with brass hardware. If you are running LEDs keep it at least a foot from the wiring. If you have old school strobes, as far as possible. It can be behind stuff like an aluminum spar, just not anything ferrous.

Web

Ditto what CKearns said. Just make sure you don't have any ferrous screws nearby. I had to swap some out for stainless.

My 185 has it's sensor mounted on the second inspection plate outboard of the strut attachment in the right wing leading edge. Run the ground wire twisted around the power wire back to near the root of the wing. Works good lasts a long time.

Did you have to use a special shielded wire set-up? That is what my local IA is telling me...
Plus we are doing some sort of witchcraft with a compass looking for a neutral spot around the wings.
I have old fashion strobes out on my wing-tips.

Did you have to use a special shielded wire set-up? That is what my local IA is telling me...
Plus we are doing some sort of witchcraft with a compass looking for a neutral spot around the wings.
I have old fashion strobes out on my wing-tips.

Shielded wires are a good idea, but check the install manual to see what it recommends. And keep the flux valve at least a couple of feet away from the power supply for the strobes. At least a foot from the strobes and wiring usually works. Distance is your friend here and more is better.

Also use brass hardware for any mounting brackets.

Web

My IA has never done a GMU-11 install yet. Nor a Becker radio. So that is still sitting around with no progress.
If my panel was not all opened up, I would fly it up to Palmer to have you take control of the situation.
I only have a couple weeks left in a nice heated hangar with a bathroom,

I should mention that I have a nice guest cabin for any visiting avionics type person... cough cough...

Attachments

• Cabin front.jpg
    Cabin front.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 2012-12-31 007 (1280x960).jpg
    2012-12-31 007 (1280x960).jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
garmin SUPPLIES stainless hardware in their mounting kit for the GMU11......

per the schematic you will use 2 separate, 2 conductor shielded wires (one for power & ground, one for communicating with the CAN Buss)

I run magnometer wires near rear spar... (strobe wires are normally near front spar)

like Web says, location is not as critical as you think.... worst case is you have to install ANOTHER(total of 2) GMU 11 in SAME WING... or so the instructions say... if you have too much interference (magnetically)

edit:I'm speaking from a G3X experimental Install(s)... but I'm sure it's the same is my guess...

Still trying to make it happen.

Originally we were thinking about having the G-11 inside the plastic wingtip on a mount like this....

HOWEVER: I have big strobe power units in both my wingtips.

Wish I had in-person , in the hangar, access to somebody who has installed them a few times...

Attachments

• GMU-11 sensor.jpg
    GMU-11 sensor.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,315
  • Strobe power unit in wingtip.jpg
    Strobe power unit in wingtip.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 241
Still trying to make it happen.

Originally we were thinking about having the G-11 inside the plastic wingtip on a mount like this....

HOWEVER: I have big strobe power units in both my wingtips.

Wish I had in-person , in the hangar, access to somebody who has installed them a few times...

yeah strobes a no no..

just mount it on a rib near rear spar or the wing skin, run its 2 wires down rear spar(aft) to keep it separated from nav & strobe wire

(how magnetic is control cable??? with all those twisted strands, I would think not that polarized...hmmmm)

So this would be awful in a Cub, where everywhere you look there is a steel compression strut, a drag wire, a carbon steel PK screw, or a steel tube?

So this would be awful in a Cub, where everywhere you look there is a steel compression strut, a drag wire, a carbon steel PK screw, or a steel tube?

its doable in the wing...

worst case you end up adding a second unit... not as big of a deal as it sounds..

My first Super Cub was so magnetic I had to carry a Army issue compass around my neck, land, walk away from the plane and take a bearing. :wink:

BTW: Running the grounds further away, and going to all shielded wires for the strobes and Nav Lights worked in my situation. Now there is NO magnetic inference near my wing tip area even with the strobes and Nav lights turned on.

The local IA is still trying to figure out the G-11 part of things on another plane. Last night the G5 was not reading the G-11 after install.

The local IA is still trying to figure out the G-11 part of things on another plane. Last night the G5 was not reading the G-11 after install.

Check that the CAN bus wires are pinned correctly. Nothing will talk if they aren't hooked up right. Then go through the configuration pages. Not much to the configuration stuff once you find the right paragraph for your set up.

Web

The can bus must be terminated at each end.

Check that the CAN bus wires are pinned correctly. Nothing will talk if they aren't hooked up right. Then go through the configuration pages. Not much to the configuration stuff once you find the right paragraph for your set up.

Web

Alex

Here is the diagram for the GMU11 data and CAN bus connections. Just be aware that it does not show power and ground here.

Web

Attachments

• G5 and GMU11.png
    G5 and GMU11.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,084
Thanks a million. If we ever get to mine, it will just be one G5 as a attitude ( horizon) and the other as a directional gyro replacement. They won't be linked to anything else right now except the GMU-11.

We shall see. I have been trying to get this done since October. Already lost $7,000, plus another $1,100 in hangar fees, this month because I am not in the water. I am about ready to sell everything and go off to be a hermit.

I put mine in the wingtip using the mount from steinair.com.
B215E793-BFF8-43BB-8F24-EEF910F6428C.jpeg

Attachments

• B215E793-BFF8-43BB-8F24-EEF910F6428C.jpeg
    B215E793-BFF8-43BB-8F24-EEF910F6428C.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 733
That's what I have except the the GTX 335 supplies GPS info. I disable the internal GPS receiver. I still haven't calibrated the GMU-11 because I need a flat piece of concrete to taxi on.

Thanks a million. If we ever get to mine, it will just be one G5 as a attitude ( horizon) and the other as a directional gyro replacement. They won't be linked to anything else right now except the GMU-11.

Back