• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Strut-to-Wing Fairing, 185

StuBob

Indianapolis
This is what my 185 has where the usual plastic strut-to-wing fairing is. It obviously needs to be replaced, but my question is, is this a real part or something some Canadian stuck on there in its bush days? The only part in the Parts Manual is the plastic one, $99 from MacFarlane, $1 million from Cessna.

The plastic part has to be prepped and painted, so I’m interested in rubber. I know from past experience that talking to painters is dangerous. My last casual conversation with one cost just short of $20k!

E9F42C58-A65A-461D-8CB8-D6DCD1827396.jpeg

Attachments

• E9F42C58-A65A-461D-8CB8-D6DCD1827396.jpeg
    E9F42C58-A65A-461D-8CB8-D6DCD1827396.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 564
I found some fiberglass ones on Ebay. NOS. Biggest deal is dropping the strut unless you buy the plastic split ones.

Last edited:
This is what my 185 has where the usual plastic strut-to-wing fairing is. It obviously needs to be replaced, but my question is, is this a real part or something some Canadian stuck on there in its bush days? The only part in the Parts Manual is the plastic one, $99 from MacFarlane, $1 million from Cessna.

The plastic part has to be prepped and painted, so I’m interested in rubber. I know from past experience that talking to painters is dangerous. My last casual conversation with one cost just short of $20k!

View attachment 42283
That is the original stock installation directly from Cessna. The 185s did not have fairings on the wing struts. They were optional on the 180s.

Maybe I’m reading the manual wrong, but it looks to me like there’s a part number for a fairing linked to my serial number. I can’t find this rubber thing anywhere. But the manual is 600 pages and I don’t really know what I’m doing. . . .

Yes, It's ugly. Just a molded piece of rubber which fills a gap between the end of the strut and the wing along with the one at the fuselage. Get some white paint and touch it up.
The 180s have a narrower chord strut than a 185 which makes it easier to fit a fairing at the fuselage without interfering with the door.

I didn't like the looks and fit of the split ones. Too flimsy and plastic. I bit the bullet and dropped the strut for the one piece fiberglass ones. Wasn't that hard.

How much shop time do you think it adds to drop the strut?
How old are your fuel tank bladders? Why? Because in order to lift the wing high enough to slide the fairings over the ends of the struts the rubber nipples at the outlets from the tanks will be stressed. Then it could be the cost of the bladders plus 20 hours labor.
Also when the wing is lifted, the skin on top of the fuselage may scratch that $20k paint job.
The choice is yours of course. :evil:

I don't remember lifting the wing when I helped do mine. Jiggling the wing to reinstall the bolt, yes, but otherwise it sat on the wing jack while we dropped the strut. Maybe I have a faulty memory?

You're thinking of your Cub stewart. The Cessna wings need to be lifted a bit because the end fittings go in several inches at both ends.

Pete I'm not a Cessna guy but could you unbolt the bottom of the lift strut and then unbolt the top and slide it down without lifting the wing much?

Not really, there are several inches of fitting which protrude beyond the ends of the actual strut. Then you will need help supporting the strut because it would be easy to do damage in critical areas. This picture is one end partially removed. The other end is similar.

lift%20strut%20fitting%20damage%20(7).jpg

Last edited:
I did it with an empty tank. A helper and a tall stand or stepladder with a cushion is all you need. Hardest part is removing the bolt. YMMV. I too was dreading it but it turned out fine. I would not do it unless the bladder was empty or very near.

My enthusiasm is flagging...

How old are your fuel tank bladders? Why? Because in order to lift the wing high enough to slide the fairings over the ends of the struts the rubber nipples at the outlets from the tanks will be stressed. Then it could be the cost of the bladders plus 20 hours labor.
Also when the wing is lifted, the skin on top of the fuselage may scratch that $20k paint job.
The choice is yours of course. :evil:

Ruining the bladders was my first thought also!! When I read that today.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back