• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

oil filter

hotrod180

FRIEND
Port Townsend, WA
I added an F&M spin-on oil filter set-up to my old C170 when I had the engine overhauled.
Just seemed to make sense to do so.
My old C150/150TD had a spin-on filter when I bought it.
My current ride, a 53 C180, just has the screen.
Always messy to inspect & a PITA to re-safety.
The engine's over TBO now, still running just fine so no immediate plans to overhaul,
but it's gonna be necessary before too many more years so is in the back of my mind.
I've been pondering these options:
1) F&M adapter
2) Cessna adapter
3) airwolf remote
4) just stay with the screen
There's pros & cons to all four options.
A couple people I know have said "why even bother, the screen works just fine".
I'm just curious how everyone here feels about it.

One reason for the lonevity of diesel is excellent filtration, oil, fuel, coolant and air. An aviation engine has low exposure with air, no coolant, so-so on fuel but for fuel injectioned engines gascolator and inlet screen works. Oil remains as the one point where contamination is on going and continuous. The highest level of filtration is required, in particulor using leaded fuel. You can have too tight of a filtration, but on STCd units that cannot occur using approved filters. The adaptor depends on the engine. On the PA-18 I like the Airwolf, othe airplanes have better adapters. Filter the oil whenever you can.

I had an Airwolf on my Supercub, my V-77 has the Airwolf. I like the Airwolf filter position for easy filter change. My 182Q is a major pita for changing the filter. I would choose the Airwolf.

I have the ADC remote spin on filter similar to Airwolf. Makes oil changes quick and clean. It’s been flawless over 20 years.

This. However, I never cared for the remote filter installation and put up with the recurring AD with the Cessna adaptor to avoid the oil lines.

I don't care for oil lines either if I can avoid them.
I bought a (used) Cessna spin-on adapter a while back,
not sure if that's the best way to go or not.
F&M makes a similar adapter, not sure which would be best.
One thing to consider is that there's no AD on the F&M.
Anybody run one on a 470 and wanna comment on how they like it?

Give me a call. I have a takeoff remote oil filter you can have. I think it’s an Airwolf. It won’t work very well with a float plane mount though. Not sure what you have.

My feeling on oil screens is they just line up the metal to go through your engine.

There is a third adaptor option - the Continental adaptor.

Actually, I think that's the one I have.
Not sure of Cessna or Continental product.
It's the one that SB SEB93-1 R1 applies to,
also an AD which I don't remember the number of.

Give me a call. I have a takeoff remote oil filter you can have. I think it’s an Airwolf. It won’t work very well with a float plane mount though. Not sure what you have. My feeling on oil screens is they just line up the metal to go through your engine.

Emailed you at your skyaero address.

Last edited:
Hotrod!

I have a customer that may be interested in the TCM adapter. Ping me at AEROPODINC at gmail dot com if you want me to put you 2 in touch.

Tony

Back