Thread: 3/2/2019 Mille Lacs

Post Thanks / Like

3/2/2019 Mille Lacs

Jack's Twin Bay 2019. (Twin Pine had bad ice)

Patrick Fox's Cub seems in good hands

Thanks Mike Woodson, brown bear, Wal thanked for this post
    Likes N85HY, Richgj3, cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Few more from Jack's Twin Bay:

The Brainerd lakes crew!

Post Thanks / Like

What's with the big blank-off with small opening in the induction air opening on this C180?
    There's a photo of another 180 with the same set-up.
    Seems like it would choke off the carb pretty bad.
    I'm not familiar with cold weather ops--
    is the cold air dense enough that you can do this without bad effects?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great pictures. All great calendar shot potential! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post

What's with the big blank-off with small opening in the induction air opening on this C180?
    There's a photo of another 180 with the same set-up.
    Seems like it would choke off the carb pretty bad.
    I'm not familiar with cold weather ops--
    is the cold air dense enough that you can do this without bad effects?
    Thats the Cessna “Cold Weather Kit”. The one here is a 180, I think the other was a 185. The kit restricts cooling air flowing into the front of the cowling. On the 185 and looks like on the 180 as well, the kit also includes a “Restrictor Plate” that partially blocks the induction. The purpose of that is to prevent overboost of Engine due to extremely dense air. In the 185, that plate won’t permit enough air to flow into induction to run the engine at max power. When you open the throttle with it installed, the engine draws a vacuum in the induction, which causes the alternate air door to open against spring pressure, thus mixing warm air from within the cowling to mix with super cold induction air. Thus making rated power, as opposed to more than rated power without the kit.

When I ran 185/206 out of FAI, I tried the full kit the first winter, but at altitude, the air is often warmer, and engine temps would rise.....so you’d wind up staying low in cold air....duh. Quickly learned to install induction block off plate, duct tape on oil cooler, and leave the rest of that kit at home. That kit also reduces air flow through cabin heat intake.....not good in cold. Go to Fairbanks, and you’ll rarely see these full kits installed.

But, these kits are the only “approved” cold weather kits I’m aware of.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    The kits were possibly a solution looking for a problem. As Mike notes duct tape half the oil cooler even the allegedly non-congealing type. They will congeal and open the relief valve/drop oil pressure in real cold otherwise. Make sure the oil breather tube is insulated and has an upstream vent hole or two and doesn't stick out below the cowl. Adjust the cowl flaps to pull up tight and go fly.

Cessna or Continental may have made them originally for planes with carbs then carried the concept over to FI engines. Continental also made an offset baffle for 4-Cyl engines that went over the air filter. Sposed to reduce hesitation when full throttle was commanded.

Nice place and planes. My Harley rider bud talks fondly of fishing Mille Lacs back in the last century. Many build winter homes on the ice - see the pics.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I was familiar with the cold-weather kits' covering up (part of) the cooling inlet, and oil cooler openings,
    but not the induction.
    Thanks for the info on that.
    I thought it maybe had something to do with preventing induction icing.
    Even with quite cold air, I wonder if the "overboost" you'd get with a normally aspirated engine would really be something to worry about.
    Seems like just an extra inch or two of MP wouldn't hurt much.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    I missed the opportunity for conversations with most of the old C-180 pilots up here. By the time I was flying in the early '70's many had moved on to FI engines and bigger capacity airframes. Wien Air Alaska had several C-180's stationed in remote hubs (https://www.adn.com/bush-pilot/artic...ot/2013/11/19/). There's a few still around (Al Wright, Richard Wien) and they probably have info on basis for the winter kits Cessna offered.

There's several planes in this thread with some sort of air intake restriction. Lots like lot of fun for all. Bet the food is good too.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    I was familiar with the cold-weather kits' covering up (part of) the cooling inlet, and oil cooler openings,
    but not the induction.
    Thanks for the info on that.
    I thought it maybe had something to do with preventing induction icing.
    Even with quite cold air, I wonder if the "overboost" you'd get with a normally aspirated engine would really be something to worry about.
    Seems like just an extra inch or two of MP wouldn't hurt much.
    At minus 40, which was our cutoff, an IO 520 makes **** loads of power. Might be good to get unstuck, but hard on the engine, which was kind of at its limits to start with.

At “normal” temps, I suspect this stuff is totally irrelevant. But these airplanes weren’t restricted to operating in “normal” conditions. As I noted, the coal air inlet block offs were a bad idea, the induction plate is a good one IF you’re operating in no joke cold. That and some duct tape on the oil cooler is all you need.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like