• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Time in a wag aero super sport?

Farmboy

Middlebury, VT
Anyone got time in a wag aero super sport, short wings (32’) and 125hp?

Been offered one. Wonder if it’s enough wing. Has flaps, wood spar/ribs.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

3' more wing than a Clipper or Pacer. I flew my 115 hp Clipper for years, then the Pacer and finally a Super Cub. It should preform well, not like a Cub but better than your truck. ;)

Sounds fun. The only Shortwing I’ve flown was a fairly light Colt, I think that was the sweetest flying Piper I’ve been in. I’ve got an experimental idea rolling around in my head, essentially a non-electric lightweight PA-18-95 with Vagabond wings. All the familiarity of a Super Cub with a light feel and crisp roll rate.

Sounds fun. The only Shortwing I’ve flown was a fairly light Colt, I think that was the sweetest flying Piper I’ve been in. I’ve got an experimental idea rolling around in my head, essentially a non-electric lightweight PA-18-95 with Vagabond wings. All the familiarity of a Super Cub with a light feel and crisp roll rate.

There’s one online somewhere right now for sale - has pacer wings.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

Few years ago, Sport Aviation magazine had an article about a homebuilder who built basically a SC with Pacer wings.
Can't recall the detail but think he had a 235 in it?
I think that magazine is laying around my hangar, I'll look for it later today.

The builder of Pops Dory's orange cub Kenny Johnson built a cub with pacer wings. It was featured in the dec. '09 issue of Sport Aviation. It was Kenny's first cub and has an O-235. If I remember it was around 850 empty wt. with full electrical. Kenny builds them light with no frills.

Nope, Earle drives a hard bargain [emoji51]and I just didn’t have enough. 🤷
Someone’s been pilfering the flying fund this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Few years ago, Sport Aviation magazine had an article about a homebuilder who built basically a SC with Pacer wings.
Can't recall the detail but think he had a 235 in it?
I think that magazine is laying around my hangar, I'll look for it later today.

The builder of Pops Dory's orange cub Kenny Johnson built a cub with pacer wings. It was featured in the dec. '09 issue of Sport Aviation. It was Kenny's first cub and has an O-235. If I remember it was around 850 empty wt. with full electrical. Kenny builds them light with no frills.

That's the one.
Forgotto check for the magazine yesterday.
If I find it, I can scan & email it to you, Farmboy

Here is the cub I mentioned. This was taken at Lee Bottom probably about 2007 old pictures 653.jpgKenny showed me his folder of receipts he kept for building this cub. He is a true scratch builder and other than the tri pacer wings, which he rebuilt the cost was 21K for the completed airplane. Kenny likes to dig for those good deals on parts and he's done it three times on cubs.

Attachments

• old pictures 653.jpg
    old pictures 653.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 203
Finding the article - A person can search EAA Sport Aviation magazine on-line for archived articles. A person needs to be an EAA member, and here's how to search:

1. go EAA.org
2. on the blue banner at the top of the home page, click on "News & Publications"; a pull down menu will appear
3. click on "EAA Magazines"
4. click on the "EAA Sport Aviation" text under one of the five photos
5. scroll down, and click on "Sport Aviation Archives"
6. here's where you need to be a member. Scroll down and click on "Search for Archives"
7. enter your EAA username and password - a person may need to update their password if they haven't logged on in a while
8. enter appropriate information in the search fields
for example: "Kenny Johnson" in the "phrase" field
check the "Article Text" button only in the the "Contained In" section
select a date range, for example 2008 to 2010
9. hit the "Submit" button
10. For me, the article popped right up
11. disclaimer - I may have missed something in the writing of this tip, but I think I captured everything.

I took screen shots of the each page of the article, however I'm not sure that it'll be legible if I were to paste it into here.

I hope this helps.
john

I note the guy who is advertising on Barnstormers above is willing to trade for a Citabria? That should be a hint.

I own a Decathlon and fly a 160 Citabria, along with daily Cub flights. The Citabria is currently one of the best deals in aviation, but it is not a Cub. Getting out of a Cub and into a Citabria is a step down unless you are going cross country - and then the Mooney is the best buy!

Could be Acro also. I've got a good friend that's like that....while waiting for his 18-125 to get a 150 mounted he bought a Decathlon. Now the SC sits while he flys everywhere upside down, some people are goofy that way. I can't honestly say if the Cub has even been off the ground since the new motor's been hung, which was 6 months ago.

Could be Acro also. I've got a good friend that's like that....while waiting for his 18-125 to get a 150 mounted he bought a Decathlon. Now the SC sits while he flys everywhere upside down, some people are goofy that way. I can't honestly say if the Cub has even been off the ground since the new motor's been hung, which was 6 months ago.
It can be nice to have the option of both high wing and low wing in the same plane. :wink:

Peter,
I hope it is something that works for you. I am still in the hunt and hope we can find something soon. I am still looking for a PA-18-95 or something like it. Chip D.

Chip, there's a PA-18-125 in Maine that is closer to your price range than mine. Larry Greiner flew it and said it was very well balanced. You might take a look.

Or just bite the bullet and buy Bill Brine's sweet red Sport Cub.

IMG_9055-600x400.pngWhere is Bill's Posted. Chip

2009 Sport Cub S2. N47JC is continental o-200 powered ELSA Sport Cub with the high performance (HP) cylinder/piston kit as well as cowl flaps plus the Catto 76×42 composite prop. Now you can fly like a Carbon Cub SS and for thousands less.
This pristine Cub has a performance custom paint scheme with performance options to match. With 24G of fuel and a TAS of 115 mph, you can have fun and get places quickly all while enjoying one of the most sought after back country brands on the market today. And if you are looking for function as well as good looks, N47JC has what you need. Included are the 26” ABW with 1.5” disc brakes, the ever popular Airframes Alaska T3 tail wheel and AOSS shock suspension to smooth out the occasional rough landing. Not only is your new to you Cub worthy of back country but you can get there safely too with the full suite of Garmin avionics including the GPS Map 496, the garmin SL40 comm and the garmin 330 transponder. All combined its safe for any airspace travel.
The interior has custom matching red paint as well as ballistic nylon seating with the fully removable rear sling seat and amsafe airbag seat belts plus an adjustable front seat. With just 340TT and an 873# empty weight, you can really pack it up and head out for a weekend of fun and travel.
This aircraft is located in New England has a set of Summit Skis and brackets as well as Baumman 1500 straight floats available at a premium. This is an excellent plane with great value added options either already on the plane or available. Call me today for all the details and start your next adventure now, there is no better time!

EQUIPMENT

26″ Bush tires
Garmin SL40 Comm
Garmin 496 GPS
Garmin 330 xPNDR
AOSS Suspension
T3Gen 1 tail Wheel
24 G fuel
Amsafe airbag seat belts
ballistic nylon seating
custom paint
In annual and ready to fly