• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Are you going to install or go without ADSB?

supercub

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate w
Just curious how many are going to install or go without ADSB?

I have enough exempt Cubs that I can afford to wait until June 2020 for the Dec. All I will miss is hanging upside down.

That said, watching the uAvionics tail light. Not going to give up my Comet Strobes.

I have ADSB out in both the Gullwing and Skylane. KSGS is under the Minneapolis class B. I could envision a no electric Javron Cub in the future.

That said, watching the uAvionics tail light. Not going to give up my Comet Strobes.
The only downside of the tail light, at least as of now, is no strobe. So I'm doing the wingtip version, which does have a strobe.

I’m waiting, I live in NE Iowa 80 miles from closest class C, 200 miles from class B and have ADS B in the other plane.

I have ADSB out in both the Gullwing and Skylane. KSGS is under the Minneapolis class B. I could envision a no electric Javron Cub in the future.

Let me know when you get tired of that Gullwing and I’ll keep her for you :D

I am going to hold off for now. I have a Husky and the Uavionix tail/rudder unti won’t fit. I think a Super Cub will have the same issue.

Joe

Do I need it under class C?

Looks like only above class c, or in it.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/research/airspace/

airspaceRequirements.png

Going without flying under a class B airspace with no engine driven approved electrical system, legally.

I am going to hold off for now. I have a Husky and the Uavionix tail/rudder unti won’t fit. I think a Super Cub will have the same issue.

Joe
Is the unit too thick? I've asked uAvionix about fit, but with no answer. Their drawing does not provide a thickness.

I have enough exempt Cubs that I can afford to wait until June 2020 for the Dec. All I will miss is hanging upside down.

Is there something special about June 2020?
I do think that prices will come down within a year or so after the drop-dead date-
I think mfr's will figure everyone who HAS to have one will have one by then,
and they'll drop their prices to try to snare those for whom it is optional.

Is the unit too thick? I've asked uAvionix about fit, but with no answer. Their drawing does not provide a thickness.

The website shows about 1.65" deep that will be inside of the rudder. The pictures are the other dimensions.

IMG_3369.jpg
IMG_3370.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3369.jpg
    IMG_3369.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_3370.jpg
    IMG_3370.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 363
Yes, big brother may be watching but I'll be darned if I'm also going to let him dictate where I can and not go.

Last edited:
I have flown 80 hours this winter around most of Florida. I have constantly been amazed at the amount of airplanes that I see with the GDL 50 showing in on the GPS. Most of the time I can’t visually see them Because Most are quite a bit higher.Just trying to find time to Button in the GDL82 for the out
Last night I got the flight attendant all sweaty with the gdl50 showing traffic on foreflight iPad. We were starting ng the approach into Bangor last night when she made me put it away The 50 gIves attitude ref to the plane in the syn vision it was just getting good
Buzzkill.

Jim

I think I'm going with the uavionix tail unit..., I had the same concerns about the width and they e-mailed me the same photos shown here. I found a piece of tubing with the same width dimensions and shoved it in and it actually fit better than the tail light I have. I already have tip strobes, so the tail nav light will work well..., I'm concerned about being able to get the rebate for the tail light since it's only for experimental though.

adsb.JPG

Yesterday's project. One more on the way for the cub. Setup and install was super easy.

I use Stratux for "in". Just upgraded my unit to AHRS which works great. Total investment: $110

sj

Attachments

• adsb.JPG
    adsb.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 260
Oh heck no. It's as bad as GPS. I want to keep my eyes out of the cockpit, not inside it! :roll:

I've had a GDL39 for several years and have enjoyed tinkering with ADS-B in on my iDevices. My Cub has in and out on the G3X and it's impressive to see what it does on my primary display. I can't say that I notice a difference being an out client as much as the traffic info is displayed automatically without me doing anything, like setting up the iDevice, which I tend not to do. How the information is displayed is a big deal. My perspective of ADS-B has changed with the G3X. I've always liked the traffic info but now that I've used it consistently on a good display I appreciate it more.

I think I'm going with the uavionix tail unit...….I'm concerned about being able to get the rebate for the tail light since it's only for experimental though.

You haven't been keeping up with the news...
uAvionix is working on getting their Tailbeacon TSO'd and STC'd,
the timeline is looking like (hopefully) some time in March.
At $2K, it will cost more than the exp one at $1650 but will qualify for the $500 rebate.

As I understand it, there is X amount of money available for those rebates,
and when it's gone -- it's gone.
If you own an exp, the difference is only $150 more in your pocket,
so it might be a good idea to just buy an exp one now.

Been flying with ADS-B In/Out since 2014, but my early units while functional and currently pass the FAA Compliance Checks are a bit sketchy. I'll likely end up replacing them in a few years with a newer generation once we are well past the mandate deadline, and the prices *hopefully* drop a bit. But for now, both planes are compliant. My UAT units seem to have chronic problems with acquiring the pressure altitude and squawk code from the Mode C transponders. So far, the FAA doesn't seem to care that they get the squawk code wrong part of the time, but are really gung-ho about enforcement for failing pressure altitude transmissions. I had a number of interactions with one of the FAA fun police while I was working with the manufacturer to resolve the problem.

-Cub Builder

Stratus is IN only. Need an OUT solution that’s tied to the aircraft to comply with the reg.

Oh yeah...should say put in the Appareo ESG. Real happy with the unit and install by Northern Lights. Over kill for Alaska and PA-12, but now that I have it best money spent other than my helmet.

Back