Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you going to install or go without ADSB?

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to install or go without ADSB?

Just curious how many are going to install or go without ADSB?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m putting it in mine since I’m under the DFW class B shelf.

Post Thanks / Like
    I operate from a Class C. No choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have enough exempt Cubs that I can afford to wait until June 2020 for the Dec. All I will miss is hanging upside down.

That said, watching the uAvionics tail light. Not going to give up my Comet Strobes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have ADSB out in both the Gullwing and Skylane. KSGS is under the Minneapolis class B. I could envision a no electric Javron Cub in the future.
    Thanks Eddy Lewis thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That said, watching the uAvionics tail light. Not going to give up my Comet Strobes.
    The only downside of the tail light, at least as of now, is no strobe. So I'm doing the wingtip version, which does have a strobe.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m waiting, I live in NE Iowa 80 miles from closest class C, 200 miles from class B and have ADS B in the other plane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phdigger123 View Post
    I have ADSB out in both the Gullwing and Skylane. KSGS is under the Minneapolis class B. I could envision a no electric Javron Cub in the future.
    Let me know when you get tired of that Gullwing and I’ll keep her for you
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to hold off for now. I have a Husky and the Uavionix tail/rudder unti won’t fit. I think a Super Cub will have the same issue.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Do I need it under class C?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice farmer View Post
    Do I need it under class C?
    Looks like only above class c, or in it.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipads...arch/airspace/

Thanks Rice farmer, Brandsman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E494BFAB-7A9E-4E09-A943-715677546D7D.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	41842
    Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Let me know when you get tired of that Gullwing and I’ll keep her for you
    I will do that!
    Likes CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In regard to ADSB I intend to be a malcontent as long as possible.
    Likes phdigger123, skukum12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Already installed.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Going without flying under a class B airspace with no engine driven approved electrical system, legally.
    N1PA
    Likes phdigger123, skukum12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joemcd View Post
    I am going to hold off for now. I have a Husky and the Uavionix tail/rudder unti won’t fit. I think a Super Cub will have the same issue.

Joe
    Is the unit too thick? I've asked uAvionix about fit, but with no answer. Their drawing does not provide a thickness.
    Democracy dies in conformity

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    I have enough exempt Cubs that I can afford to wait until June 2020 for the Dec. All I will miss is hanging upside down.
    Is there something special about June 2020?
    I do think that prices will come down within a year or so after the drop-dead date-
    I think mfr's will figure everyone who HAS to have one will have one by then,
    and they'll drop their prices to try to snare those for whom it is optional.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub1999 View Post
    Looks like only above class c, or in it.
    https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipads...arch/airspace/
    Don't forget within any 30NM mode C veil, even if you're not in the class B.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/appendix-D_to_part_91

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_C_veil
    Thanks Bender thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm waiting till the last minute !

Sent from my VS987 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Is the unit too thick? I've asked uAvionix about fit, but with no answer. Their drawing does not provide a thickness.
    The website shows about 1.65" deep that will be inside of the rudder. The pictures are the other dimensions.

Name:	IMG_3369.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	41843

Name:	IMG_3370.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	41844
    Thanks sjohnson thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, big brother may be watching but I'll be darned if I'm also going to let him dictate where I can and not go.
    Last edited by 40m; 03-08-2019 at 08:23 PM.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have flown 80 hours this winter around most of Florida. I have constantly been amazed at the amount of airplanes that I see with the GDL 50 showing in on the GPS. Most of the time I can’t visually see them Because Most are quite a bit higher.Just trying to find time to Button in the GDL82 for the out
    Last night I got the flight attendant all sweaty with the gdl50 showing traffic on foreflight iPad. We were starting ng the approach into Bangor last night when she made me put it away The 50 gIves attitude ref to the plane in the syn vision it was just getting good
    Buzzkill.

Jim
    Likes 40m, 180Marty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'm going with the uavionix tail unit..., I had the same concerns about the width and they e-mailed me the same photos shown here. I found a piece of tubing with the same width dimensions and shoved it in and it actually fit better than the tail light I have. I already have tip strobes, so the tail nav light will work well..., I'm concerned about being able to get the rebate for the tail light since it's only for experimental though.
    Likes TCE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Went with the stratus. Lots of traffic out there. The best part is I can take it with me in any plane.
    Thanks Jonnyo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PA-12 on Baumanns View Post
    Went with the stratus. Lots of traffic out there. The best part is I can take it with me in any plane.
    Stratus is IN only. Need an OUT solution that’s tied to the aircraft to comply with the reg.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	adsb.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	41846

Yesterday's project. One more on the way for the cub. Setup and install was super easy.

I use Stratux for "in". Just upgraded my unit to AHRS which works great. Total investment: $110

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh heck no. It's as bad as GPS. I want to keep my eyes out of the cockpit, not inside it!

I've had a GDL39 for several years and have enjoyed tinkering with ADS-B in on my iDevices. My Cub has in and out on the G3X and it's impressive to see what it does on my primary display. I can't say that I notice a difference being an out client as much as the traffic info is displayed automatically without me doing anything, like setting up the iDevice, which I tend not to do. How the information is displayed is a big deal. My perspective of ADS-B has changed with the G3X. I've always liked the traffic info but now that I've used it consistently on a good display I appreciate it more.
    Likes 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by av8rtom View Post
    I think I'm going with the uavionix tail unit...….I'm concerned about being able to get the rebate for the tail light since it's only for experimental though.
    You haven't been keeping up with the news...
    uAvionix is working on getting their Tailbeacon TSO'd and STC'd,
    the timeline is looking like (hopefully) some time in March.
    At $2K, it will cost more than the exp one at $1650 but will qualify for the $500 rebate.

As I understand it, there is X amount of money available for those rebates,
    and when it's gone -- it's gone.
    If you own an exp, the difference is only $150 more in your pocket,
    so it might be a good idea to just buy an exp one now.
    Thanks Bowie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Been flying with ADS-B In/Out since 2014, but my early units while functional and currently pass the FAA Compliance Checks are a bit sketchy. I'll likely end up replacing them in a few years with a newer generation once we are well past the mandate deadline, and the prices *hopefully* drop a bit. But for now, both planes are compliant. My UAT units seem to have chronic problems with acquiring the pressure altitude and squawk code from the Mode C transponders. So far, the FAA doesn't seem to care that they get the squawk code wrong part of the time, but are really gung-ho about enforcement for failing pressure altitude transmissions. I had a number of interactions with one of the FAA fun police while I was working with the manufacturer to resolve the problem.

-Cub Builder
    Likes NorthcountryPilot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Stratus is IN only. Need an OUT solution that’s tied to the aircraft to comply with the reg.
    Oh yeah...should say put in the Appareo ESG. Real happy with the unit and install by Northern Lights. Over kill for Alaska and PA-12, but now that I have it best money spent other than my helmet.
    Likes CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to go with the wing unit... till a friend pointed out to me how you always get hangar rash at the tip. She didn't know it at the time.. but I'd put my tip into a snowbank, ever so slowly that week. Ski flying, and snowbanks around airports just happen. Only time I don't like the long wing cub. I'll be going with a tail unit. BUT.. a whirlwind prop is higher on the priority list at the moment.

JP

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not going to equip with ADS B out. I have nothing against it, but I have no need to fly in class A, B, or C airspace in my airplane. Also, that airplane is not equipped with an electrical system, so installing ADS B out or the previously required equipment of a transponder and encoder would involve much more effort, cost, and weight than simply installing the equipment itself. As before, FAR 91.215 (b) (3) allows me to operate the airplane below class b or C airspace and within the 30 mile class B vail.

I do recognize the increased safety of being displayed to ATC and other traffic equipped with ADS B in, traffic advisory equipment, and TCAS. I often fly my airplane using ADS B in using an iPad, Stratus, and the ForeFlight app as well us other fully equipped airplanes. With my PA-11, the cost/benefit analysis just doesn't work out for me.
    Likes hotrod180 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If this contraption you folks speak of doesn't keep the bird dung off the top of my plane while i'm flying I don't believe I have any need for it. In the airspace I fly the B-1s are my biggest competition if I stay south of the Yellowstone River and the AARP Cowboys north of it. I think all the traffic in the airspace I occupy prefers stealth, so i think ill stay incognito.
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Likes jnorris liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It took 3 Skybeacons for UAvionix to get one that would work on my Sport Cub. None of the experimental versions would provide a clean report. They finally sent me a TSOd version and it passed the tests last November. It was very frustrating, as it took 3 beacons and 3 months.

On a side note they did send me the right side SkyLight and the lights now match.

Name:	IMG_2014.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	271.3 KB 
ID:	41942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2013.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	41943
    Scott and Kim Huntington
    2007 CubCrafters CC11-100 "Sierra"
    2008 CubCrafters Cc11-100 "Priscilla"

Likes jnorris liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My airplane lives just under the DFW Class Bravo, so I had no real choice but to install ADS-B OUT. I went with the Appareo Stratus ESG, with the optional "pass-thru" antenna and power connector for my Stratus 2. Works great, and a very nice transponder to boot. Part of my logic was that my ancient transponder waa on its last legs, so one of the cheaper options wasn't really an option.
    Jim Parker
    '65 Champion 7ECA - Flying
    ?? Bearhawk Patrol - Building

Post Thanks / Like
    My husband opted for the Appareo Stratus transponder, experimental version, when they first came out. We always fly formation wherever we go, so we have a 1090 and a 978. If we ever get to go outside the US, we are equipped. We both have a GDL39 that ties to our 660s for ADSB in.
    Scott and Kim Huntington
    2007 CubCrafters CC11-100 "Sierra"
    2008 CubCrafters Cc11-100 "Priscilla"

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good point on the 978 mhz systems. 978 mhz is only legal in the US. Internationally, 1090 mhz is recognized.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hgr3029e View Post
    My husband opted for the Appareo Stratus transponder, experimental version, when they first came out. We always fly formation wherever we go, so we have a 1090 and a 978. If we ever get to go outside the US, we are equipped. We both have a GDL39 that ties to our 660s for ADSB in.
    Not sure that the buddy system with the one 1090 unit and two airplanes would be strictly legal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hgr3029e View Post
    It took 3 Skybeacons for UAvionix to get one that would work on my Sport Cub. None of the experimental versions would provide a clean report. They finally sent me a TSOd version and it passed the tests last November. It was very frustrating, as it took 3 beacons and 3 months...…
    A friend of mine put a Skybeacon on his mooney a few weeks ago.
    Had trouble with it not wanting to latch onto the signal from his transponder,
    took a call or two to uAvionix but he got it straightened out.
    Passed his proving flight and got his rebate check.
    The other day, he got a notice from FAA that his ADS-B was not performing up-to-snuff on a flight he took.
    This was in a no-txp-required area BTW.
    Said he has to get it fixed or else (don't remember what he told me they were gonna do).
    Sounds like he'll have to do another proving flight to get them off his back.
    He said after this happened he found out that some other people have had this same problem.
    I'll quiz him about it later today,
    but has anyone else heard about Skybeacon installations having issues like this?
    I'll quiz him more today.

EDIT: Sounds like the problem is poor ADS-B system reception in the remote-ish area where he was flying.
    He told me that if the system drops your signal for more than x number of seconds,
    and automatic letter to you is generated saying your ADS-B equipment is not up to snuff.
    Sounds like the system still has a lot of bugs that need to be worked out.
    Last edited by hotrod180; 03-15-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Already installed garmin products for ADSB in out. Passed proving flight first pass and got a rebate. Couple weeks later got a nasty gram from the FAA stating I had too many errors with the equipment. Back to the shop and the equipment checks out fine. Then I give the FAA a call to discuss this. Some of the errors where whats termed an air on ground problem. What they see is you are at ground level but moving too fast to be taxiing so the assumption is your reporting altitude must be off. I explained that I often fly 30 feet or less off the ground chasing coyotes. I believe some of the air on ground errors also result from off airport landings where they see you not moving but there is no airport there. I had to explain that to mister FAA man and he implied that they were still in the learning process with all this. I believe there was an system in place to identify planes that may have crashed thus not at an airport and not moving. I also got a lot of error codes that basically resulted from lost ground station contact which happens pretty much every time I fly. They wrongly assumed that everyone is flying at high altitudes and will remain in contact. Mister FAA asked where I lived and when I explained Montana he said that figures because there are only like four or five ground stations in the entire state. If you fly around mountains down in the nooks and cranies good luck. You can look at FAA websites for ground station coverage in your area. There is also an FAA website to look at your equipment performance and all the error codes. FAA will initially shut down your weather and traffic in if they deem your equipment is not working properly and then when 2020 comes you will not be allowed to operate in the governed areas. I think after I hung up with mister FAA they put an asterisk behind my N number and the comments - outlier, nut job, ignore. Have not had any trouble since. Huge problem with the system is ground station coverage for people who fly like we do.
    Thanks RVBottomly, hotrod180 thanked for this post
    Likes stewartb, 40m, CharlieN, fobjob liked this post