• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Drilling Tailwheel Steering Arm

Captain Ron

PATRON
Les Cedres, QC, Canada
Hi Folks,

I need to replace the Scott 1140 steering arm. Any hints to make the sure holes I need to drill in the shaft match-up with the rudder? I was thinking of installing the arm, squaring it up, marking the holes and then drilling in a v-block on a drill press. I guess I need to check that the holes in the rudder are square and centered also.

Cheers,
Jeff

I would have someone center the rudder and get everything lined up and mark the spot than have a friend double check it before drilling. Whoever drilled mine either for some reason purposely drilled it off, or just made a mistake, I need 3/4 inch more chain on one side of my steering spring chains to make the rudder centered with the tailwheel strait.

Mike - do you ever then ream to 1/4", with an undersize reamer to get a good fit on the AN bolts? Thoughts???

Last edited:
depending on which one you have(diameter of aluminum piece) a AN4 hole will be too large in the aluminum part/weaken it.....
Right, that's my concern. Whether it's weakened too much is the reason I inquired about others' experiences.

But of course, rocking back and forth on the AN3 bolt, if it's loose, will do the same eventually.

Thanks - -

Back