• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

o-320 and sutton, how quiet?

JP11

FRIEND
Minot, ME
Anyone have the o-320, sutton and an Iphone?

I downloaded DecibelX . it's a free trial.

I was wondering about the noise level. My custom exhaust is extremely loud. I'm gonna measure it.

Wondered if someone had the sutton and could do the same.

Thanks
JP

Be glad to help if we ever get a reasonable flying day. Measured from where and what throttle setting and prop?

I'd say WOT.. and in the front seat. I THINK mine is really loud.

I've got the standard 7454 prop.

I'd take any data I could get. I paid to keep the app. It was a couple bucks a month. I'm just trying to have something a bit scientific. I'd like to justify a new prop and exhaust.. and my only complaint at the moment is a hot running #3 and it's loud. :)

JP

I’d be happy to do the same out of curiosity. I’d have to think that a longer prop as well as a terrified and screaming backseater might skew the findings however.

Thanks guys..like I said.. i THINK mine is really bad. Just trying to benchmark it a bit.

JP

I’d be happy to do the same out of curiosity. I’d have to think that a longer prop as well as a terrified and screaming backseater might skew the findings however.

I have seen the pictures of the donkey in the back seat. I bet that took some doing. No iPhone so I am of no help. It is a bit louder than the stock system.

With what I have... (some sort of custom)

I'm getting 125dB on takeoff.

and 111 at 2400rpm cruise.

What I consider... dang loud.

Curious if anyone else is quieter with a Sutton.

JP

My white 180hp Cub had a Sutton exhaust that I loved.

My red 180hp Cub has a homebuilt crossover without mufflers that I really hate. Way too loud.

With what I have... (some sort of custom)

I'm getting 125dB on takeoff.

and 111 at 2400rpm cruise.

What I consider... dang loud.

Curious if anyone else is quieter with a Sutton.

JP

Interesting. My 985 powered Ag Cat is 125 on takeoff and 116 while working, surprising a Super Cub would be that loud. My 182 is 92 while in cruise, haven’t tried it in the J3.

Back