• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Jet stream blowing

Pete
My ipad with Garmin pilot showed almost 700 mph groundspeed on Allegiant Airbus 320 on Monday coming up from St Pete to Bangor. 2 hours 17 minutes Fl to ME. I suspect the return to FL was longer than normal

Jim

Opportunity to brag here.

My personal record is 888 mph in a Cessna..., Citation X from Georgia to NY. It was about 17 yrs ago when the ride was still new and novel, so I got a lot of ATC comments. Looks like this week I could have come close again to my personal best.

Our typical cruise is a little over 600 mph, 250kst ias or .92 in upper 30’s, 520 - 530kts, so it is pretty common to see 750 mph, but 250 + kt jet-streams don’t happen that often.(unless I’m going west it seems).

When the X was new, it was always fun passing everything civilian in the sky. “Hey Center, what was that airplane that just passed us?,” was a common thing heard on the radio. Used to love it when center would tell a B757 pilot, “You’ve just been passed by a Cessna.”

I have taken a runway in Nebraska, looked up to see a contrail of an L1011 going the same direction, and eventually had to level off and pass it before I could climb above it.

My best friend has been maintaining an X for over 15 years, and they joke that that Citation X is the fastest jet between Cessna service centers!

Many moons ago, I was flying a Cessna 441 Conquest between St. Paul and Attu Island at the end of the Aleutians. I think I was at 350 which was the ceiling of the 441. About half way out, a United 747 was coming opposite direction from Asia at an altitude below me and called ANC center requesting higher. ANC told him he’d have to wait due to opposite direction twin Cessna at 350... After a pause, the United pilot says, “I’ve got two questions, what kind of twin Cessna and where In the world is he going?” Enjoyed that one!

My best friend has been maintaining an X for over 15 years, and they joke that that Citation X is the fastest jet between Cessna service centers!

Ouch! Yes, the X is an absolutely amazing performing airplane - when it isn't broken. I have made that flight from one service center to another. The airplane, imho, is a bit over engineered, and there are a lot of things that can and do malfunction, but I suppose like all types, some are hangar Queens and some aren’t.

Coming back from the WAD one year emeshed in the back end of a front I made the trip in under an hour in the -11. Ground speed was 128 mph! I must have caught a Wadstream.....

Coming back from the WAD one year emeshed in the back end of a front I made the trip in under an hour in the -11. Ground speed was 128 mph! I must have caught a Wadstream.....

Holy smoke counselor, you have thrown them a slow pitch over the plate. Wait for it, here it comes..........

Jim

Got ya beat JP. Flew a J-3 on floats from Catskill NY to Millinocket Lake about 1977 or so at a groundspeed of 140MPH most of the way at 7000ft. Smooth as silk all the way home. 10 yrs. ago I came out of Rainbow Lake on floats and turned left over to Nahmankanta lake and when I turned east showed 140 again until I was down over Pemadumcook Lake and then it settled to about 120. Again; no rough air, pretty crazy. Thats why fishing those small ponds in that area is tricky. Never the same way twice.

Got ya beat JP. Flew a J-3 on floats from Catskill NY to Millinocket Lake about 1977 or so at a groundspeed of 140MPH most of the way at 7000ft. Smooth as silk all the way home. 10 yrs. ago I came out of Rainbow Lake on floats and turned left over to Nahmankanta lake and when I turned east showed 140 again until I was down over Pemadumcook Lake and then it settled to about 120. Again; no rough air, pretty crazy. Thats why fishing those small ponds in that area is tricky. Never the same way twice.

You Maine guys are amatures, 157mph in Dan's J3 heading to Hampton 7 or 8 years ago. Picture of GPS on here somewhere?

Glenn

Be nice to fly those speeds all the time, but then I wouldn't be able to smell the roses, and that gets more important with everything for me as time goes on.

143 mph in the Rans the other week, smooth. ASI was 77. Was headed to a mountain top at a similar elevation (8600') to ski land it, I go there often, not that day! Went low, playing around on valley floor (5600') landed, dead calm. No abrupt transition between the two conditions, not a bump, weird.

Had a friend fish spotting and got onto a mess of fish late in the day. Realized he was getting LOW on fuel. Headed back for land and realized he had bout 30 on the nose. He said as both balls disapeared into the radiused aluminum the gps was showing 45/50. So he shut it off! So didnt have to see it anymore!!! Tide was running out and when it quit
I was headed his way but he did NOT make it. It quit and only he could be lucky enough a sandbar was starting to stick it self out! He was able to land on it without fliping! I got there 5mins later and was now 4/500 ft long and landed and we sucked 5 outta mine, dumped into his. Bout 10 Cubs there by then watching this whole mess take place! If engine hadnt started would be suicide....... Oh to be young and dumb. Names witheld to protect the guilty partys.

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back