• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anti Collision Light ??

supercub

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate w
Looking for suggestion on where and what kind of anti collision light to install. I'm only going to have a battery for power, no generator/alternator. Due to that, I'm looking for something with minimal draw. I don't want to install it on the top of the rudder, nor on the wingtips. Probably not the best spot, but one I've thought of, is the rear bottom of the fuselage. I have a metal panel last 3 feet or so on the bottom. I don't do a lot of off airport operations, so shouldn't take to bad of a beating there. Any other areas that I might consider? Any suggestions on small anti collision lights? This will be on a J-3 I'm converting to a PA-11, so it will be a certified airplane. Thanks

It's one unit that contains the white nav light and also a white strobe light. It fits in the same spot as the original nav light was mounted (with a little fitting).

No point in putting a beacon on the bottom of the fuselage. Who's going to see it? Are you installing nav lights on the wing tips?

Web

Haha, landing after dark and they're looking.

When I bought my -12 in the mid-'70s, it had a strobe on the belly. Seemed ok, cuz I never got violated coming in late - - - Towered airport, at Juneau. Even the FSS had windows, when the tower was closed after-hours.

Of course, I coulda used my buddy's N-number, but......

Last edited:
What year did anti collision and strobes become required equipment? Some aircraft still only have the 3 nav lights and no beacon or anti collision light.

Here's my understanding of the anti collision light requirement after doing some research. I don't know the year it changed but. The FAR's use to allow aircraft that were manufactured prior to 1957 and never had a anti collision light installed to continue operating without one. However sometime ago, that changed and the FAR's state All aircraft are required to have an anti collision light now. That's what my research has turned up. If someone has more info on the subject, please share, I'm all ears. Thanks
What year did anti collision and strobes become required equipment? Some aircraft still only have the 3 nav lights and no beacon or anti collision light.

Can the light be seen 360 degrees around the airplane?
It's one unit that contains the white nav light and also a white strobe light. It fits in the same spot as the original nav light was mounted (with a little fitting).

No point in putting a beacon on the bottom of the fuselage. Who's going to see it? Are you installing nav lights on the wing tips?

Web

Here's my understanding of the anti collision light requirement after doing some research. I don't know the year it changed but. The FAR's use to allow aircraft that were manufactured prior to 1957 and never had a anti collision light installed to continue operating without one. However sometime ago, that changed and the FAR's state All aircraft are required to have an anti collision light now. That's what my research has turned up. If someone has more info on the subject, please share, I'm all ears. Thanks

What FAR?

Web

91.205(b) specifically states 'for aircraft certificated after 11 March 1996'.

Web

Thats what I was implying, I am confused about 1957.. inop beacon.. want to replace it with a new led light.. my friend says I am not legal at night without anti collision.. confused about what is and isn't legal now.

Do you plan to run strobes? You need one or the other to be legal at night. Part 91 VFR rules require the 'anti collision' lights for night ops. It's an operational requirement not an equipment/certification requirement.

Web

If you want to go VFR night read 91.205(c). This part lists the required equipment for operations at night. If you want to go without an alternator, I'd recommend going with LED nav/strobe combination lights at wing tips and tail. Then make sure that your battery will power them AT LEAST as long as you can fly with max fuel. You can get more time out of the battery if you don't use a relay to turn the battery on, use a switch or transistors instead, as the relay uses battery power to operate.

Web

Yes I fly at night as well as day, and two different airplanes, both equipped as they were the day they left the factory.

Super Cub only came with position lights, I thought I was night legal without beacon and anti collision lights.

The 1957 has position lights and also red rotating beacon, it does not have white strobe. The red beacon is not working so need a fix and I like yours, adding strobes on all three nav lights and getting rid of the red beacon.

I may do that to the Super Cub too to make it legal. But in either case we normally don't switch strobes on until takeoff and off clear of the runway after landing, adding more questions.

91.205 c
(3) An approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system on all U.S.-registered civil aircraft. Anticollision light systems initially installed after August 11, 1971, on aircraft for which a type certificate was issued or applied for before August 11, 1971, must at least meet the anticollision light standards of part 23, 25, 27, or 29 of this chapter, as applicable, that were in effect on August 10, 1971, except that the color may be either aviation red or aviation white.

Now off to find out which part 23, 25, 27 or 29 applies to my two planes.

Last edited:
The airplane may be equipped as from the factory but the operational rules in part 91 require anti collision lights for night ops.

Both of your airplanes are CAR 3 aircraft not part 23. If you install TSO'd nav/strobe lights or beacon you'll exceed the requirements called out in 91.205(c).

Web

The airplane may be equipped as from the factory but the operational rules in part 91 require anti collision lights for night ops.

Both of your airplanes are CAR 3 aircraft not part 23. If you install TSO'd nav/strobe lights or beacon you'll exceed the requirements called out in 91.205(c).

Web

Thanks, I would like to have strobes on both, will have to check out the best remedy here is, maybe just fixing the red beacon on the 57.

I missed that question on my last flight review...the anti collision lights now required. CAR 4 Taylorcraft. Guess the best option for me is replace the wing nav lights with a combo setup instead of the nav light flasher unit installed years ago. But sport pilots can't fly at night so no rush.

Gary

Any nav/strobe combo, when installed in both wings and tail, will have visibility pretty much 360* around, plus above and below. Can't say that about a beacon.

HIGHLY recommend the tail installation along with the wings. Increases the safety odds with very little weight increase.

Web

If you just want one, these new LED strobes could easily be packaged to go on the very top of the rudder without being an eyesore. I used a flash tube in a special sleeve, but LED would be lots better and smaller.

Web, where are you guys buying AeroLed's, I"m seeing pricing all over the place. I would think pricing on these would be coming down over time.

Key word there is certified meaning being built after 11 March 96. Your plane may not need it at all. However safety is key
No, read the entire regulation.
91.205(c)(3) An approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system on all U.S.-registered civil aircraft.

The second sentence tells you how to comply with the first sentence.

ALL Airplanes require anti-collision lights to operate at night. ​Wing tip and tail lights are navigation lights not anti-collision lights.

I don’t think so. I don’t think it can count as an anti collision light if you can’t see it 360 degrees around the aircraft. I don’t have a reference to that in writing though.

The Aircraft Spruce catalog has a whole page devoted to anti-collision light coverage.
Page 627 in my 2016-17 catalog.
From their drawings, it looks like you need at least 2 strobes.
FWIW I have only one on my 53 C180,, on top of the fuselage.

Back