Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experimental Shock Options and Reviews

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put a T3 on the tail of my BCSC. I can't help but laugh when the tail comes down. You can't hardly tell it's touched. It just sticks down. Makes the taxi out on rough ground smoother.

JP
    Likes Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you put covers over the tk1’s like bungees & hydrosorbs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope. Just run em naked.

Phil Whittemore
    Likes flyrite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have covers on mine when I get an engine back on it. My Vetterman exhaust dumps onto the shocks and the residue is a maintance item. Covers should resolve it.
    Likes Barnstormer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an observation but Super Cubs have been landing in nasty places for over 60 years with plain old bungees but now your a hack if your not running the latest and greatest shock setup? Like a lot of things that the old guard did forever with basic systems we now think we need to spend thousands of $ to go where they went with stock equipment and a lot more smarts then we are willing to earn before trying it first.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes ron, bfd777, tempdoug, TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate your point and often agree. But I suppose if your hydrosorbs are pretty beat and will need replacing sooner than later a fella should contemplate finding a better mouse trap even if you end up sticking with the old technology. My rotary phone works just fine, but it’s not my first choice any more.
    Likes tedwaltman1, cubdriver2, Tgskillskill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn
    Ya back in the day they did with what they had. But, today I don't see guys running 29 tires on gar arrow rims going into a new/tough strip!! They strap on a the best gear you can find because the hunter is paying 30,000 dollars to get the moose!! It pays for itself in one trip. I can do all the flying I want with hydrosorbs but ASOS on my cub is night and day so why not upgrade when you have the chance? In a cub if you only need 300 ft to stop, old school is fine but if you need to stop short without wind or skill you might want to spend some money.
    DENNY
    Likes KevinJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For me changing to TK1's in the front and T3 in the rear wasn't about going into places I couldn't go before, it was about transferring MUCH less shock to the landing gear, attach points/hardware, and the airframe. And that's a good thing.
    Phil Whittemore

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Just an observation but Super Cubs have been landing in nasty places for over 60 years with plain old bungees but now your a hack if your not running the latest and greatest shock setup? Like a lot of things that the old guard did forever with basic systems we now think we need to spend thousands of $ to go where they went with stock equipment and a lot more smarts then we are willing to earn before trying it first.

Glenn
    You obviously haven't tried TK-1s or Aeros. Better is better and in this case? A lot better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    I'll have covers on mine when I get an engine back on it. My Vetterman exhaust dumps onto the shocks and the residue is a maintance item. Covers should resolve it.
    Is he making covers for the TK1's now? I have talked to him a couple of times about covers as I was thinking about building my own. Never heard if he has them available. Or did you make your own?
    Gerald

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have FineLine make them. I can get more made at the same time if you'd like.
    Thanks Jonnyo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There going to make fabric covers right? I was thinking of using aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Gerald

Post Thanks / Like
    Busters upholstery made some streamlimed fabric covers that have foam to support the leading edge.

I heard impressive cruise speed gains over regular naugahyde covers.
    Likes mike mcs repair, Jonnyo liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gdafoe View Post
    There going to make fabric covers right? I was thinking of using aluminum.

If someone provides dimensions and $ I can make a die to form aluminum can ends similar to pipers.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    TKs have soch a small forward profile I'm not concerned with streamlining. My covers will be about keeping the gunk off the moving parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    the naugahyde streamline covers from Busters were made for, and tested on TK's. I believe the speed increase was "about 5 mph".
    Thanks stewartb thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks cubpilot2, Steve Pierce, tedwaltman1, gdafoe thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Would be interesting to see 4 spring as comparison on that jig.

Also what about multiple drops in succession to simulate rocky beach bar as far as recovery rate? Before it’s just bottomed out. ??

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    I have pawnee spring all jigged up out in the hangar. Maybe I'll try a drop test later.

Post Thanks / Like
    TKs have soch a small forward profile I'm not concerned with streamlining. My covers will be about keeping the gunk off the moving parts.
    They look draggy as hell to my eye, I'd expect a min. Of 5 mph increase in cruise, with a fairing, not just a keep the gunk off cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    From the comments on the video you can tell Tim Allan is loyal to Dan.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    They look draggy as hell to my eye, I'd expect a min. Of 5 mph increase in cruise, with a fairing, not just a keep the gunk off cover.
    When I changed my Naugahyde bungee covers to fairings I picked up 2, maybe 3 mph.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have traditional bungees, plus a FOX airshock to control the rebound, and when I faired the entire assembly I gained well over 5 mph, closer to 7-8, BUT I just remembered I also covered the gear legs at the same time, with a fairing on the aft gear leg. Climb also went up, extra drag hurts in all aspects of flight besides cruise, less range, less glide etc., so I get rid of all I can. Experimental.

Post Thanks / Like
    I gained 3 MPH on streamlined covers on AOSS shocks on Husky, 5 MPH on extended cub gear leg fairings. They both make a big difference than uncovered.
    John
    Likes courierguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking in terms of stretchy material for covering shocks, the material can move with the shock travel and not bunch up causing more drag like conventional bags.
    Made some covers out of 4mm neoprene. They’re held on with Velcro.
    Doubt they’ll be very durable and will get discolored from exhaust in short order.
    Ill update with results after some flying.

CD472B8D-6C95-44BC-9D90-428C53E32BD3.jpgC649DEF4-586F-48A6-AD9A-5AFCA5FBA03F.jpg
    Thanks barrow pilot thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What amount of speed change did you notice when you installed the streamlined covers on the gear leg V​?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    What amount of speed change did you notice when you installed the streamlined covers on the gear leg V​?
    About 4.5-5 mph at 2400
    Thanks skywagon8a thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest you talk to Mr. TK1, Tony. I have talked to him three times over the last two years on this. He has spent a lot of money developing covers and testing effects on speed. He has customers that have spent a lot of time and money including with computer modeling software. He has tested with several different A/C including our favorite. Results are very different than some are reporting. Basically, the best reason to put covers on is if you want to use them on certified A/C ala MacCatto.
    Gerald
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I was thinking in terms of stretchy material for covering shocks, the material can move with the shock travel and not bunch up causing more drag like conventional bags.
    Made some covers out of 4mm neoprene. They’re held on with Velcro.
    Doubt they’ll be very durable and will get discolored from exhaust in short order.
    Ill update with results after some flying.

CD472B8D-6C95-44BC-9D90-428C53E32BD3.jpgC649DEF4-586F-48A6-AD9A-5AFCA5FBA03F.jpg
    ok, scrap that idea, trailing edge of material must be flapping like hell during flight.
    can feel buffeting thru the airframe

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neat idea. Keep experimenting!

Thanks for posting.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try some thin Lexan, it's tough stuff, use some soft pull wide flange pop rivets or even Gorilla tape on the TE to secure it. It will bend to just the right shape, or close enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    Try some thin Lexan, it's tough stuff, use some soft pull wide flange pop rivets or even Gorilla tape on the TE to secure it. It will bend to just the right shape, or close enough.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    material needs to stretch with shock movement. Shocks are fully extended during no load (flight).
    Attaching rigid material would hinder elasticity.
    doug

Post Thanks / Like
    My aluminum fairings on my Cub style shock struts extend long enough to allow for the needed movement, well they don't move, they are just long enough to allow movement.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was fooling around with Kydex awhile back and made some “telescoping” covers for stock hydrosorbs.
    seemed to work well.
    Thinking some similar for TK’s
    Be nice to do out of carbon fiber. End caps could attach to shock brackets and follow movement of shocks.
    They would need to extend AND compress to keep up with TK shock movement.

9114EFB8-BCE2-47E0-A212-93FAB0F1920E.jpgCA08C6E2-A1E2-4215-8B0F-833DAD21A9C8.jpg87F5EECD-3ABD-4EC9-8C6A-53705C1CB783.jpg
    Thanks 46 Cub thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Before I subject myself to major sticker shock, how do these gas shocks perform in the cold? Like minus thirty cold?

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you build the covers stiff enough to have the bottom end uncapped? Built that way, they would be streamlined for flight, and be open on the bottom end to where travel isn’t a factor when landing.

Post Thanks / Like
    One other advantage to making them longer to allow for travel, is that much more round tube is faired. Mine appear identical to Oliver's, long, with end caps on both ends. Not sure how you would locate/stabilize them with one end cap? No disadvantage to having two.

I know on air shocks, the seals are the deal in cold weather. Some popular fatbike front forks use airshocks, and one brand in particular had an issue with cold weather performance, (I don't know what the failure mode was) so they came out with upgraded seals of some type and the problem went away, it was a simple upgrade. I have Fox airshocks plus bungees, and have no issues, down to 5 degrees anyway.
    Thanks NunavutPA-12 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    One other advantage to making them longer to allow for travel, is that much more round tube is faired.
    It might very well be that the longer fairing would be less draggy than the shorter one. The round tube is very draggy as compared to even a larger streamlined tube.

I know this video has been posted before, but it might be worth revisiting the relative dragginess of various shapes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftq8jTQ8ANE
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Thanks TurboBeaver thanked for this post
    Likes Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The only time the fairing needs to be long is on landing/extension so no need to be long AT ALL.... you are going slow then..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    The only time the fairing needs to be long is on landing/extension so no need to be long AT ALL.... you are going slow
    TK assembly is at full extension when unloaded during flight.
    During landing actually compresses, shortens.
    Takes a minute to wrap your head around the function even while watching it articulate, ingenious design.