• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Question for you technologicaly gifted

Cub Special Ed

MT/SD
What Im thinking is I should be able to heat the plane up from my phone right? I have a smart phone that i do the walmart subscription to (straight talk). I would like to be able to get on my phone instead of running all the way out to the airport to plug the plane in. What i was wondering is do i need that $9 wifi hotspot doodadd and a smart plug with another subscription? Or is there a plug that just can connect to my phone without all the hubbub or...? Thanks.

If you don’t have WiFi at the hangar than you need a device that works on the cell network. It has a phone number which you text to. It also has a monthly charge from the cell carrier of your choice. I can’t remember the product name, but they are out there. Google is your friend.

Rich

Or if you are DIY'er

https://www.hackster.io/team-hologram/cellular-connected-power-outlet-eb0445
oiutlet.jpg

Attachments

• oiutlet.jpg
    oiutlet.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 234
If you don’t have WiFi at the hangar than you need a device that works on the cell network. It has a phone number which you text to. It also has a monthly charge from the cell carrier of your choice. I can’t remember the product name, but they are out there. Google is your friend.

Rich

I have one of those collecting dust. A switchbox. PM me if you are interested in it.

The cell phone route didn't work for me. I went out and bought the cheapest cell phone at BestBuy to activate my "RS Box". I had three occasions where the heater was not where I expected. The RS Switch seemed to work every time I tested. I looked at the call log, and there were pages of missed calls. The box is activated by the ringer and the bogus calls turned the thing on and off when I didn't do it. I guess sometimes when I turned it on, I was actually turning it off. After tripling my hangar electric bill one month, I went back to driving to the hangar and setting a timer the night before. I've heard that the phone companies are not supposed to reuse a number for a few years, but that wasn't long enough in my case.

What you really need is a device that uses the LTE service of the cellular, not the voice/ring service. It would simply check (internet) to see if you wanted the heater turned on.

sj

What you really need is a device that uses the LTE service of the cellular, not the voice/ring service. It would simply check (internet) to see if you wanted the heater turned on.

sj

This is occasionally an issue with some of those 'fine fellows' in Afghanistan.

Web

For several years, 4 or 5, I had a gizmo that would allow me to turn on the engine coolant heater in my boom truck I was running at the time. Parked outside, but under cover. It worked, and I can't remember the details, but a cell phone was involved, and the whole shebang wasn't cheap, but less then $400.00. Nowadays, I heat my 18' x 40' crane shed building with radiant floor heat and an electric boiler. A 2 KW solar array produces enough juice during spring, summer, and fall, to let me coast through the winter months at no coast, thanks to my utilities grid tie credit program. It's MY power, I made it, they store it for me in effect. Total maintenance is turn the boiler breaker on in the fall, turn it off in the spring, and really, the thermostat (in the slab, set at 50 degrees) handles that, so really no maintenance at all. This setup is much less hassle then my old system and pretty much idiot proof.

Just go to the Jihad Bomber supply store.:) I think my friend has one left. It uses a cheep pay as you go cell phone that turns it on with a photo cell. They really work great. Give me a call if you want it. Don 208-420-0041

Back