• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pa-18-95 vs 105

J3Jim

I've owned a j3-c90 im interested in the pa-18-95. My flying is local and solo. I loved the J3 but do not like hand propping.
the-95 seems like a good fit. But can a c90 really perform well in a pa-18?
Is there a big performance diff between -95 & -105?
I don't need the big engines but is a slightly bigger engine like 115HP worth it or just eat useful load? Thanks guys I appreciate all feedback!! Looking for an education on the -95.

There are a few threads already on C-90 equipped Super Cubs and -105s, some good info there if you search. I have never flown a -105 but own a PA-18 with C-90-12F and I would imagine from a flying and handling perspective they probably aren't too terribly different. 90hp Super Cub highlights: 1500 lbs. gross weight, no flaps, unbalanced tail. Nice airplane when light weight.

Most have the 90-8F which is an ‘armstrong’ starter, the -12F and -200 (modified with STC) have the accessory case for a starter.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Have flown the -90 and the -150, and unless you are flying at MAUW I find the -90 more pleasant.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

When I search forum pa-18-95 it finds nothing but Google finds all .org posts? I'm doing something wrong?
i would definitely want electricity n starter. Are they dogs? What useful load n performance specs are you experiencing?
are the larger 105, 115, 125 hp heavier how much heavier?

There are more differences than horsepower. I believe the 18-95, unless modified, has no flaps and no balanced elevators. While I believe the 105 does.
If I’m off base, someone will let me know and I’ll learn something:)

Rich

C-90
Super Cubs usually come in somewhere between 900-1,000 lbs. empty depending upon 1 or 2 fuel tanks, electric, accessories, etc. The performance and handling are great when they are kept light, it's a great airplane to cruise around in solo. It won't perform or handle well and you'll likely be over gross with two people, 36 gal. fuel, and stuff in the back.

That’s another thing. Can you down size the fuel tank to two 12-galling?
would like to know the empty weights with full electric if you don’t mind? Thank you!

Why not save a few bucks and put electric start on your J-3? I have done two of them, fly them daily, and am pleased. Talk to B&C.

I lobbied for a PA-18-95 for a club trainer - student in front, and otherwise a lot like a J-3. But alas, most -95s have been seriously modified, and are twice the price of a good J-3. The club got a heavy 160 Cub. Not a great trainer.

The 105 is a Cub, and is certainly less expensive, but God I hate those brakes. The only decent 105 brakes I have flown are the Grove conversions on Robbie's personal Cub. Those seem ok. I prefer heel brakes on Cubs.

As for the full electrical system - we get 75 starts per battery charge, and are using Odyssey PC545 batteries. No need for an alternator. And yes we need radios to operate - batteries are getting better all the time.

Bob that’s an interesting point about the starter/battery only option. My only hesitation would be the useful load would prob end up 400. The pa-18-95 seem to have all the electrics n other perks plus a UL of about 530. Thx.

The starter etc. adds around 10 lbs. The portable battery is another ten. Here at sea level we didn't even notice. My personal Cub is sitting at about 465# UL., and that's with a wing tank, PA-11 struts, and a radio.

Lots cheaper than an 18-95.

My Starter and battery package weighs in at a whopping 13 1/2 lbs. for a Pumped C-90. And spins like the plugs are out 8)

Flyrite, thank you! Wow that’s light! Can you tell me more about your starter/battery? You have an alternator? I appreciate all feedback. Thx!

Flyrite, thank you! Wow that’s light! Can you tell me more about your starter/battery? You have an alternator? I appreciate all feedback. Thx!

skytec starter just under 10 lbs, earthX battery at 2.9 lbs. both pricey, As the old saying goes....speed costs $, How fast ya wanna go. So also , lite costs $ How lite can ya stand ! :cheers
No charging system, Get around 60 to 70 starts then recharge

Why not save a few bucks and put electric start on your J-3? I have done two of them, fly them daily, and am pleased. Talk to B&C......

Unfortunately, the OP didn't specify which C90 is on his J3.
If a -8, he'd need to swap it out for a C90-12.
He might encounter paperwork issues,
plus the costs of buying & nstalling a whole new engine.
And in case someone is thinking of suggesting one of those Dewalt starters :roll:
I've seen one installation & IMHO it's a POS.

Mine is 902 lbs empty, no electrics (12v battery and trig com/txp ), two 18 gallon tanks, BAS, so can carry two 200lb crew and five hours of AvGas.

Cruise is 92 mph indicated, it flies fine two up .

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Our 95 flys great but we are near sea level. My son prefers it to our 160 cub and often out performs me in our father/son stol competitions.

Back