• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub Wings

ridiculousness

Alright so i pulled two PA-18 Wings off the ceiling. My Grandpa bought the super cub brand new in 1978. I think it was wrecked in 1996...The wings are completely stock. The right wing is rebuildable. The left wing doesn't look like much of ANYTHING is good. So what brand parts as far as wing ribs or anything else would you build your left wing up with? Can you still find metal ailerons and flaps for sale? What wing ribs are the lightest? or have preference over others?..

I like the Dakota Cub ribs and associated wing parts. But that's just opinion. They're a really strong extrusion, though a little heavier than Piper ribs. I used them on my -12 and they're are on the wings of an E-AB -12 I'm involved with building. No experience with Univair ribs, so no opinion.

check Stoddard's used section in Anchorage for metal flaps and ailerons ...

Dakota cub offer wing rib kits priced good...

most of the other small parts are probably reusable... and spars are available from them too or univair....

.. The left wing doesn't look like much of ANYTHING is good.

it only takes 4.5 hours to have 2 new spars slid in a damaged wing... if you know what you are doing... providing the ribs are salvageable... or you have the new ribs you need ready...

big screwed up is usually not that much different from slightly screwed up hour wise... its all the normal cleanup, blasting and recoating repair that takes the big time to do a nice job....

I have done a spar replacement in a weekend. It takes me 4 1/2 hours just to get all those type B PK screws loose. Maybe faster with a good electric screwdriver?

Back