• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin Inreach Mapshare

cubflier

Palmer, AK
I trying to set up Garmin Inreach Mapshare share link filters.

Specifically, I am trying to set up a filtered share page for my wife that has the most current track (or some recent date range) only so she can clearly see where I am in a flight without the clutter of older tracks. On the Share tab on the Garmin site it shows the only real time filter option to set a start date. Given that that's the only date filter (on the Share Tab) when I set it to the current date and save that share link it effectively does nothing. Clicking on the new share link will still show all of my tracks from the beginning of time and subsequently need to be filtered each time you navigate to the newly created share link. Is anyone else seeing this type of behavior?

As I recall with Spot I had a filtered share link that showed most recent tracks without all the old info and bottom line is the home command post found it easier to read.

I am about to prepare a suggestion email to Garmin but want to make sure that I'm not short of understanding when I'm using their site.

Jerry

Last edited:
Spot did have a better tracking interface for sure. It is a compromise with Inreach, but it is a way better tracker in the end.

If you get a good answer, please post it!

sj

Jerry I use it weekly and it works for me my family love to follow along and know where i am. What i do is the day i leave
i go to the site click Social tab then click Filter map share data tab & change the date to current date & save. Then they only see from that date on hope that helps. Greg

Jerry I use it weekly and it works for me my family love to follow along and know where i am. What i do is the day i leave
i go to the site click Social tab then click Filter map share data tab & change the date to current date & save. Then they only see from that date on hope that helps. Greg

This is the only method I’ve found.

Thanks guys. That confirms the only filter option I could find also. But...has any one tried recently to use their share link created in the Social Tab to see if it's working?

Mine is not. As an example I changed the filter date to today Feb 4 and it still comes up with all tracks as shown in the two screen shots below. I made sure I had one current track by taking a drive to the airport with the inreach tracking after saving the share page under a new url. Still all I get is total unfiltered tracks on screen which are a bit hard to sort through without invoking filter options on the left side of the screen manually.

Initial view when you click on share link that filters data with start date of Feb 4 .

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 4.24.27 PM.jpg

Zoomed in view of above - Kind of hard to find todays track.

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 4.35.13 PM.jpg

Maybe I'm having some unit specific issues. They just sent me a new one since my previous one had issues with the temperature sensor in cold weather.

Jerry

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 4.24.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 4.24.27 PM.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 294
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 4.35.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 4.35.13 PM.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 476
I would agree that the Inreach map page is clumsy and hard for anyone not familiar with it to be able to see a current track. But I don’t follow the steps in post 3 or see a map like is in the bottom of post 5.

I use the Enterprise Plan. Maybe that’s different?

My map page shows dots for each ping position and a blue line connecting the dots. Clicking on a dot brings up position, speed and altitude. Is this different than what you guys are seeing?

I would agree that the Inreach map page is clumsy and hard for anyone not familiar with it to be able to see a current track. But I don’t follow the steps in post 3 or see a map like is in the bottom of post 5.

I use the Enterprise Plan. Maybe that’s different?

My map page shows dots for each ping position and a blue line connecting the dots. Clicking on a dot brings up position, speed and altitude. Is this different than what you guys are seeing?

I’m also on the enterprise plan. Same as for me.

I have used the Mapshare for the last few years and the filter works as advertised for me.

Try to log out of your account after you set the filter. It may be seeing you as the account owner and always showing all the data. Seems to me I ran into a similar issue. Another thing to try is clicking on the link that is sent when you share the page with someone. Open the email that was sent to them and click the link. The filter appears to be applied correctly on this version of the map.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I have used the Mapshare for the last few years and the filter works as advertised for me.

Try to log out of your account after you set the filter. It may be seeing you as the account owner and always showing all the data. Seems to me I ran into a similar issue. Another thing to try is clicking on the link that is sent when you share the page with someone. Open the email that was sent to them and click the link. The filter appears to be applied correctly on this version of the map.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

In a sense you are on to something here. I did try logout/login with no success. But then I took the "Men in Black tool" to my complete browsing history and that restored it to way you guys are seeing things on Mapshare. I wish I would have just deleted the Garmin specific files as now I have to reacquaint myself with all of my old favorite sites. At least I have a text file on my desktop called "passwords" that should help me remember my login information.

That still brings me to my initial suggestion that I will pass to Garmin and that is to the make the share link filter floating as it is on the findmespot page. This allows for static links that do not require update each time I head out. This change would not affect the page filter options which are separate from the share link filter.

Another observation is behavior of the share link on a mobile device. Keep in mind this is a device specific observation. FYI - I have an iphone XS.

When I create a current password protected share link and load it on Safari I come to the login page that looks like this:
IMG_4230.PNG
If your thumb is not pencil point accurate you get to read the Garmin privacy policy in spanish
IMG_4232.PNG
Once you sharpen your thumb so as to get at the "Enter" password button you end up somewhere in Africa.
IMG_4229.PNG
After scrolling your way back to America you decide to see what the interface looks like in desktop mode by pushing the "View Desktop Version" link below
IMG_4231.PNG
When you do this you are locked into the desktop view until such time that you find your Garmin specific cookies for your mobile browser and delete them.

These are just some observations and if you guys see it differently fell free to help me along. Especially with regards to switching between the mobile and desktop views.

Take Care - Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_4230.PNG
    IMG_4230.PNG
    193.8 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4232.PNG
    IMG_4232.PNG
    319.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_4229.PNG
    IMG_4229.PNG
    747.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_4231.PNG
    IMG_4231.PNG
    488.1 KB · Views: 188
What about from the Earthmates app? I can view my own tracks on a satellite map. I have the option to share it right on the tracking screen and it sends an email to whomever I want to allow to follow my track. I haven't tested the sharing in real time but i will this afternoon when wifey and i walk the dog. I guess that begs the question about cell service, too. Maybe I'll initiate a track and then turn my phone off to see if she's tracking the Inreach or the cell phone/Inreach combo. I've never had much cause to use the Inreach for tracking.

What about from the Earthmates app? I can view my own tracks on a satellite map. I have the option to share it right on the tracking screen and it sends an email to whomever I want to allow to follow my track. I haven't tested the sharing in real time but i will this afternoon when wifey and i walk the dog. I guess that begs the question about cell service, too. Maybe I'll initiate a track and then turn my phone off to see if she's tracking the Inreach or the cell phone/Inreach combo. I've never had much cause to use the Inreach for tracking.

Just type in the following link on your phone browser window. https:share.garmin.com/stewartb. Password is "stewartb".

This is a short term link and will fail at some point.

Jerry

Good to know. I expect to use it in the Cub. I need to get up to speed with it.

From the tech support site. This might be related to the short link life. Interesting topic. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Prompt for MapShare: Sets the device to prompt you to send a message with your MapShare link when you start tracking.

Last edited:
The short link life is my doing. I just made a temporary empty share link for you to try. Share links last until you release them back to Garmin. I just released the one above so it will not work anymore.

Jerry

Here are some things I have learned since my first questions and this concerns the "Library and Collections" and what they are. They are new to the Mapshare page as of late last year or so. Here
is a thread that talks about it in general terms and here are some of Garmin's tech support references to the subject (Creating, Editing and Deleting Collections, Using Active Collections, and Making Library and Collections Visible in Mapshare.

Given all that, this is what I did to see what collections are all about and It's not a bad feature to learn.

If you login at https://explore.garmin.com/ and hit the Map tab you should get something that looks like screenshot below except with all your tracks and stuff on the map. I have all my tracks turned off. There should be a Library and some Legacy collections on the left similar to the ones you see on my page that were created by Garmin when they added this new collections feature.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 9.54.29 AM.jpg

The first thing I did was to delete all three of the Legacy Collections on the left by clicking on the collection itself and then click on the trash can icon next to the edit pencil.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 12.16.03 PM.jpg

Fear not if you have a bunch of tracks and stuff in there, just select "Delete Collection". All of your tracks and stuff will still be in your Library which is your master file for all inReach data.
Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 12.19.27 PM.jpg

Do this to the rest of the Legacy collections till you have no collections left. Now you can start to build your own collections in a logical manner.
I started by making collections by year. Below is an example of making a collection of all tracks in 2018 in a collection called "2018".
Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.04.48 AM.jpg

Separating data by year is easy. Just select add tracks, sort by year, and then use the shift key to highlight all of the tracks or waypoints in the year of interest and hit the next button

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.05.11 AM.jpg
Now click save. Disregard those other options because they can be change at any time.

Continue on and separate out all data according to years. In my case I had 2017, 2018, and 2019 as collections. The next trick is to create a collection called "Deletes". This makes it easy to run through all of the years collections and delete tracks that are duplicates or just not wanted. Here is an example of some duplicated deletions I did by adding the tracks to "Deletes" collection, then select all that is in that collection and selecting the "delete" button. If you choose "delete from collection" you have done nothing.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.31.14 AM.jpg

I did this in a couple of steps by moving tracks to the "Deletes" collection and the deleting it's entire contents.
Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.38.23 AM.jpg

This is done by clicking the first track in the "Deletes" collection, now press the shift key and clicking the last item in the collection to highlight all items. Then clicking on any of the trash can icons will propose that you delete the number of items selecting. The process should resemble what's below.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.45.30 AM.jpg

In the end the whole process took 45 minutes to purify three years of tracks and organize it into various collections that I can toggle on and off at will. This is what the final product looks like on my Mapshare page.

final.jpg

Hope this helps.

Good luck - Jerry

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 9.54.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 9.54.29 AM.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 455
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 12.16.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 12.16.03 PM.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 218
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 12.19.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 12.19.27 PM.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.05.11 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.05.11 AM.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 268
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.04.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.04.48 AM.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.31.14 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.31.14 AM.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.38.23 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.38.23 AM.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.45.30 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.45.30 AM.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 207
  • final.jpg
    final.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to make this very informative post! Now I need to sift through my data too.

When I was looking at all those little track points on Mapshare, I did a little experiment. I exported my entire Mapshare data collection as a KML file via that little Icon on the upper left corner of the Mapshare page. The resulting file was quite large for just text data. In my case it was 46MB or 1.5 million lines of xml data. I then wrote a real short program to sort out all track points with a recorded speed of '0 km/h'. This resulted in 2800 or so track points. I then imported them back into Mapshare in a separate collection and made only that collection visible. The result was a very clear view of every cool spot I have landed at over the past three years.

I alway's seem to forget marking places on my GPS so this came in handy, especially for some of the cool spots that I have landed for skiing, hunting, or fishing.

This was a good way to use this flight data. But it got me to thinking about how else this data could be used.

Jerry

When I was looking at all those little track points on Mapshare, I did a little experiment. I exported my entire Mapshare data collection as a KML file via that little Icon on the upper left corner of the Mapshare page. The resulting file was quite large for just text data. In my case it was 46MB or 1.5 million lines of xml data. I then wrote a real short program to sort out all track points with a recorded speed of '0 km/h'. This resulted in 2800 or so track points. I then imported them back into Mapshare in a separate collection and made only that collection visible. The result was a very clear view of every cool spot I have landed at over the past three years.

I alway's seem to forget marking places on my GPS so this came in handy, especially for some of the cool spots that I have landed for skiing, hunting, or fishing.

This was a good way to use this flight data. But it got me to thinking about how else this data could be used.

Jerry
While using my older inreach SE ( delorme yellow) if I have the unit ouside at camp and am bluetooth connected it will NOT ring my phone when a new message arrives? Is there a way to have my phone notify me with this older unit. I am sure the new Explorers will.????

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

My new phone and Explorer+ will only ring the phone when the Earthmate App is open. Otherwise you have ringer on the unit itself. You can set it to "ring till read" in your settings but that's all I have found.

Jerry

Just a heads up on an SMS issue on Inreach devices. Here is the Garmin link to the problem.

https://status.inreach.garmin.com/incidents/60d3brj69y6p

It may or may not affect you but it's worth checking your texting capability with the specific phone you might intend to sms to before you go out and play. The short links that Garmin was using up till recently were getting caught up in providers spam filters. Garmin has gone back to full link format which carries a set of consequences too. The full links consume 138 characters of the 160 character limit. You can still get as verbose as you want, it just causes messages to be split and relies on provider software to reassemble the text on the receiving end correctly.

Bottomline is you may want to text yourself and any other person in the food chain prior to departure.

As an option you can also eliminate this trailing link by going to your Inreach login page, click on the accounts tab and in the bottom right corner will be three sms configuration check boxes that you can then check or uncheck depending on the information you want included in your text.

Jerry

Back