Thread: Thoughts on fly-in for my tail-gunner great uncle!

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on fly-in for my tail-gunner great uncle!

Hey folks. I was contacted about a get-together for my uncle's 95th birthday in Yates Center, KS. He was a tail-gunner in B-24s and B-17s. We are planning for the 2nd of March. I just thought there would be a few of you who would like a local flight or drive, some great food, and awsome stories. Some of you may have met him at Oskosh last year. I know March is a pretty iffy month for weather and flying, so I plan on driving down from South Dakota myself. I know he would love to meet you and your birds if early March weather dictates. So give a shout if you'd like to drive or fly in so we can adjust food rations somewhat accordingly. Everyone's welcome! Thanks much to the supercub.org community once again!
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Likes cubdriver2, Cub Builder, brown bear liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yates Center has 1400 people (according to Google) and no airport. Where do you normally land? Allen County?

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Used to be 8k5. Local farmer owns it.
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the ol airport at Yates is caput! Im sorry but you'll have to drive in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey! I used to LIVE in Yates Center! I believe it was 1970 - 1972. If your uncle went to the UMC there, he likely met my parents.

Be sure to let us know the dates!

sj

P.S. Allen County (Iola) is only a 20 min drive from YC.
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey sj, ya he is a member. Im sure he probly new your folks. His folks homesteaded there and he worked for the post office. Just an update: they closed the airport at Yates and the guy that ownes it now is not allowing its use so i guess near by airports or driving in will have to do. Everyone one is welcome. March 2nd at 2 at the senior center. I will update any changes. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Special Ed View Post
    Hey sj, ya he is a member. Im sure he probly new your folks.
    Yates Center was a hotspot when the EUB church joined the Methodist church to become what is today the UMC (the churches were literally across the street from each other, and they had to pick one...). There was a book written about it called "Fire on the Prairie" by Don Holter. My dad (Dick Johnson) was in the middle of that fire in Yates Center

I hope it works out that we can attend!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Lots of history! I lied to you though. I looked it up on mapquest and his church is the old presbyterian one close to his house. Been attending there for well i guess just short of 95 years. Hope you get to make it. Should be a great time with lots of great avaition stories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Special ED
    I am in Emporia ks , so Allen County is maybe 50 mile from me . If weather is so I can fly I will plan on making it and will try and get some others to come also .
    Keep us up dated .
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Awsome! Will keep you posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im still trying to get a hold of the fellow that has the airport now in Yates. Ive sent my cousin to find him. I found this article that has the new owner with my uncle Harry so i think he would be game if i can get a hold of him and conditions allow. Sj, you'll like this article!

http://fitzvideo.com/skysurfing2/201...an-fitzgerald/
    Thanks brown bear thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option im looking at is that my uncle ownes 40 acres. Its prety muddy right now but i was thinking folks could land on the n-s highway or the e-w gravel road. Im just trying to figure out if we can get you in off the road. Im not from kansas so im not sure of your laws about right of ways and road landings. I know my grandpa landed a vultee "vibrator" (haha, probably not politcaly correct now-a-days) bt-13 on a road at the old farmstead. But i think the laws were a little more lax back then. Im not sure how to snap an aerial pic but his acreage is on the west side of hwy 75. The e-w cemetary road (cemetary is on east side of 75) is the north boundry of his property. That corner piece on the west side of 75 and south of the cemetary road is his.

Post Thanks / Like
    Me and my ratty -12 are in. What a good excuse to see some new country and burn some low lead by celebrating a bday with WW vet!
    Look forward to the details !

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    First, Cub Special Ed, I have to let you know that I have to do all of the posting for my husband (those of you who know us personally already know this!), and I also need to let you know that you have stolen one of my husband's "handles." I was a Special Ed teacher at Manhattan High School; in 1996 we were asked to help sponsor a canoe trip to the boundary waters in MN; it was the time of CB radios so my husband, Ed Doyle, was given the name "Special Ed." That handle was used only for one week so I'm glad someone else has taken it on! Now for this fantastic idea of a fly-in for your uncle. I was president of the Flint Hills Flyers for several years...and we are friends of Brown Bear (Doug Wilson) from Emporia. My husband stayed up very late last night reading about your proposal. He/we fly a Super Cub and he has some ideas he wants to share about your fly-in. He will write them down and I will share then later today? We will rally all those who can land in pastures and on roads! ...and LOVE to land anywhere off-airport! More later...
    Charlotte Doyle
    Likes Nodak33, flyrite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Sorry i took someones handle. Didnt know it had been used. As for the party, im trying to find suitable places to get planes in. Im doing this over the phone from MT with my cousin in Yates who knows nothing about flying. Right now she says pastures are kind of muddy. Im even thinking that landing on the road by the airport and pulling off in there would be viable. As far as i can find the city still ownes the old airport. If you folks wanna scout ahead or know of any place down there to get in Im all ears! I can pm you with my cousins phone number if someone gets in the area. Thanks again all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh. And here is a pic of my great uncle Harry at Oshkosh this past year. He is the one in the wheel chair. He went to see some planes and when they found out what he did in the war, he was treated like royalty and even attended banquets. Have to salute the aviation community!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018072795085924.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	41463
    Last edited by Cub Special Ed; 02-12-2019 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Grammer once again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Who knows what it will be like in 2 weeks , but right now only those of us with big tires would be able to even think about pulling of off the road .
    dw