• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C180 rental cost?

Oops... I hoped that wouldn't happen...

In my military groundpounder experience, the guys that had high opinions of their capabilities quite often were the ones kicked off the teams. They were the same fellows that thought they knew everything. The ones we looked for presented as humble, always wanting to be better, and willing to train hard with that mentality of "ever upward."

With civvie pilots who approach flying as a hobby, it might be easy to self excuse oneself from hard work and thorough training - but, it doesn't often make for happy endings when the s--- hits the fan (like a stiff xwind landing on tarmac in a Skywagon :) ). I don't think minimizing training to save some time & $ is the right attitude in these birds.

In my experience, many of the folks that were actually pretty handy in the airplane from the git go actually insisted on the "full meal deal", even though I offered to sign them off earlier. But, there are those out there who want the "minimum" when it comes to a checkout.

And, that's often when the wingtip meets the pavement.

MTV

The Skywagons pretty much require flying with active trim inputs, particularly as the performance demands go up
Well, I've never flown a 180 or 182, so please don't shoot me for dumb questions - - -

1. Is full nose-up trim really necessary on landing? (I'm one of those guys who never touches the trim in my -12)
2. Can't cowl flaps wait until "normal" climb-out is achieved?
3. Will the plane climb satisfactorily with full flaps at gross, (assuming trim setting is acceptable)?

Back