• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Jump Seats

Eddie Foy

South Florida
My 69 180 came with the second row bench seat installed. It also came with the seats in the photo. Do they go in place of the bench seat? Does anyone have a photo of them installed?
E195CDEE-8F12-47AB-8C8F-54B6F42BFF4B.jpg

Attachments

• E195CDEE-8F12-47AB-8C8F-54B6F42BFF4B.jpg
    E195CDEE-8F12-47AB-8C8F-54B6F42BFF4B.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 202
They are a replacement for the bench seat and nowhere near as comfortable with less leg room. They are used as the middle seats in the six place option.

Not much of a seat picture but there's one installed. The next picture shows a clevis bolt in the nut plate in the aft door post and a second bolt would go into the black pad you see on the structure just behind the door post. The seats are easy in, easy out, and with decent cushions and upholstery I've never had anyone complain about seat comfort.

rear shoulder strap complete.JPGIMG_0247.JPG

Attachments

• rear shoulder strap complete.JPG
    rear shoulder strap complete.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 201
The 'jump' seats are much more flexible than the bench. Easy in/out, can be stored in the rear baggage. Very handy especially if you carry if you carry pax one way and cargo the other. You can stow long cargo like an outboard motor on one side and a passenger on the other. You can have the bolts permanently installed and use wing nuts to fasten the seats to the side wall. Quick & clean, easy-peasey.

Eddie I have those seats in my 180 and have used them quite a bit. We used to put a car seat in the back seat and I felt like the car seat fit on the original seats better. Now, my wife rides back there some and usually complains about them after a couple hours, mainly the angle of the seat back to the seat.

The only time I think those seats might be better than a bench seat is if you want to carry three people and need cargo space where that 4th person would sit. But I will put folding seats in one of these days.

The same size clevis bolts that hold my jump seats fit the nut plates for my front seat lock reels. Along with quick release door hinge pins I can pull my doors and seats very quickly, and with that I can load long and bulky cargo. Very handy.

Anyone added Cessna seat locks recently? Are they still giving them away for the pilot side? They're a great solution to an old problem.

photo-16.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• photo-16.JPG
    photo-16.JPG
    760.4 KB · Views: 137
Last I heard, they (Cessna) is still providing pilot side at no charge. Dunno if that’s still true. Six months ago.

Eddie,

Those jump seats are the best all round in my opinion. Randyk summed it up. We ordered all our later 185s with those seats. Much more flexibility than a bench.

MTV

The BAS and Atlee seats that fold up against the sides are really nice!!! Less hassle with storing them, no weight change.

I have heard from a reliable source:peeper that a keg of beer will fit perfect between the jump seats and other side of the plane, and the unused seatbelt is a great hold down for the keg.:bunny:cheers

versatility is king!!!

I will focus on comfort when I plan to fly Lyn, but if it is for short trips or freeloading hunting partners- an uncomfortable seat is much easier than walking for them:p

The 'jump' seats are much more flexible than the bench. Easy in/out, can be stored in the rear baggage. Very handy especially if you carry if you carry pax one way and cargo the other. You can stow long cargo like an outboard motor on one side and a passenger on the other. You can have the bolts permanently installed and use wing nuts to fasten the seats to the side wall. Quick & clean, easy-peasey.

This. We have the jump seats as indicated, and frequently haul long cargo, bulky packages, etc.
I think they are a decent compromise seat system. 11 pounds apiece, if memory serves right.

Those are the style we used in our 185s. I even made a set for one plane we had & got them approved

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I wanted a set of folding jumpseats for my old C170 but didn't wanna part with the cash.
I ended up finding a single one of these Cessna jump seats for sale cheap, and got a field approval to install it.
Much handier than the big bench seat, esp for a "2+2" type airplane like the 170,
but not as handy as the BAS folding jumpers I have now in the 180.
Not as comfortable either-- I think the Cessna jump seats are mounted farther forward than the BAS or Dodge jumpseats,
makes for not much knee room.

FYI, the secret to removal in/out of the 2nd row bench is to bungee the seat back(s) in the folded forward position, otherwise it's like giving a cat a bath.

Last edited:
Load the front seat passenger first and have them slide the seat forward. Tons of space and no seat jockeying into the back seaters knees to load the front seat after. Done it that way for lots of years.

Back